Code of Conduct

Thumbs up NEW: John Varvatos For Women (for you chypre fans).

Just when you thought chypres were a dying breed with all those reformulations and discontinuations, here comes John Varvatos, with his first-ever women's fragrance being... a chypre!

And a real chypre, at that. The folks at NowSmellThis report that the B.P.I. brand's first-ever women's scent's notes are top notes of aromatic grappa, Georgian apricot, Damascus plum and golden mandarin; middle notes of rubrum lily, Indian mango blossom, Egyptian jasmine and Turkish rose; and bade notes of oakmoss(!), patchouli, tonka beans and wild honey.

The scent will launch in February 2008 at Saks, and will enter full distribution shortly afterwards. Go, John, go!
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: NEW: John Varvatos For Women (for you chypre fans).

I'll definitely be on the look out. I love the JV scents for men. Hopefully this will help me learn what exactly a chypre frag smells like. I'm still trying to figure all this note stuff out LOL!! I can't just keep on saying it smells good all the time.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Quote Originally Posted by Divatologist View Post
    Hopefully this will help me learn what exactly a chypre frag smells like.
    Me too. Chypre makes me think Mitsouko and Miss Dior... neither of which work that well on my skin but I sometimes wear if I'm feeling brave!

Hello ladies:

Recently i was in california training for my new position and there was a saks near. I was interested in geting something for my girlfriend for her bday and happened upon JV for women. I love Varvatos for men on me so i fgured let me give it a whirl....i gotta tell you ladies this stuff is really nice and i would not smelling it on my girlfriend....i am not as astute at picking out notes in womens frags, but this one is powerful and evocative. I actually smelled the parfum version which comes in a smaller deep pink bottle with the little oil dipper and i was lovin it....i hope you girls get the shot to smell it soon i think you will be pleased.

When you do smell it, let me know what yall think as i would love a womans perspective on it.

~Nick
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Blog Entries

I didn't get real chypre at all. In fact, my overall impression was more like a fruit-blend pina colada (something about the tonka bean with all those fruity notes, I think). I tend not to care for sweet, fruity scents and found this too much in that direction. I really didn't get any oakmoss (synthetic or not) at all. Revlon's Flair does a better job of interpreting classic chypre with a strong fruity vibe, imo, even though I find the fruity chypre thing weird. I prefer greener, drier chypres like No 19, Silver Cristal, and Safari. I haven't tried Mitsouko, and obviously should. But sorry, as a chypre fan, I just didn't feel it in JVfW.

Diva-- Paloma Picasso is a big floral chypre that I bet would smell great on you. Sample it with No 19, and some Ysatis, and I think you'll have an "ah-ha, chypre!" moment. I otherwise don't get "chypre" from JVfW, or Narciso Rodriguez for Her, or many other so-called modern chypres.
    Last edited by Heartwood; 19th October 2008 at 02:18 AM.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I've smelled a sample of it, and it strongly reminds me of the hodgepodge of scents you get as soon as you step into the perfume department of any big department store.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    I didn't get real chypre at all. In fact, my overall impression was more like a fruit-blend pina colada (something about the tonka bean with all those fruity notes, I think). I tend not to care for sweet, fruity scents and found this too much in that direction. I really didn't get any oakmoss (synthetic or not) at all. Revlon's Flair does a better job of interpreting classic chypre with a strong fruity vibe, imo, even though I find the fruity chypre thing weird. I prefer greener, drier chypres like No 19, Silver Cristal, and Safari. I haven't tried Mitsouko, and obviously should. But sorry, as a chypre fan, I just didn't feel it in JVfW.

Diva-- Paloma Picasso is a big floral chypre that I bet would smell great on you. Sample it with No 19, and some Ysatis, and I think you'll have an "ah-ha, chypre!" moment. I otherwise don't get "chypre" from JVfW, or Narciso Rodriguez for Her, or many other so-called modern chypres.

Oooooh OK! You know I use to wear Paloma Picasso when I was a teen. I vaguely remember how it smells. So, No 19 is a green chypre huh. I'm learning. I actually ended up purchasing JV. It is indeed a sweetie, and everybody knows I love my sweet frags.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com