Code of Conduct

Thread: Roger&Gallet

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roger&Gallet

Ok, I am now so concerned I am going to post here. (Also not helped by the anti bumping thing which means I can add to my previous post in the Industry discussion board but nobody will notice and read it because nobody has contributed since my post yesterday...but that is another issue)

I was out again today and those new R&G bottles are glass not plastic as I thought, but I had to tap them and examine closely to tell. I kept picking it up and eventually decided it is glass. They are definitely cheaper and look like plastic. The R&G displays in all the Oxford street depatment stores were very small, almost token. (half the size of last year?? Or less??) The 150g soaps not available at all. There were no Extra Vieille soap coffrets, only single 100g ones in those new cheap translucent plastic boxes. Other soaps were in boxes of three but I suspect they sell slower and this is old stock. Where has it all gone???

Also the website was non existent for a while and is now being redesigned. This whole brand, this great old house, has clearly been "repositioned". I am distraught. I use those fantastic soaps every day. The Eau de Cologne Farina is divine, the very best classic Eau in my opinion.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???????? DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFORMATION???????? PLEASE???
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 14th December 2007 at 10:49 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Roger&Gallet

http://www.thestar.com/living/Fashion/article/263721

Not sure if this has been posted elswhere,it dates from October.

"....its rebirth as a brand of "accessible luxury"...." is the jist.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, thanks my friend. I wonder what they think it was before? Unaffordable luxury?

It all looks cheaper and the stores have clearly demoted it. Maybe it is due to reappear in a more lowly part of the shop?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Well what I gather from the article's Orwellian PR-talk, is that they are taking it to the mass market, with a more contemporary image, broader product line and much higher novelty-frequency - and, perhaps, lower quality. Classic Eau de Cologne with a high natural oil content may not be expensive to make compared to high end perfumes containing rose absolue, orris or the likes, but it's certainly costlier than a hand full of synthetics. I hope Farina doesn't turn into "4712"

hirch: want me to organize a crate of the old Farina soaps for you ?
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post

hirch: want me to organize a crate of the old Farina soaps for you ?
    Yes please.

reviews

I am a big fan of "Eau de Gengibre". I think it is an excellent alternative to Mugler´s Cologne and Gendarme V. It´s a scent that fits very well the extremely hot and humid weather we have here.

Recently I got a big bottle of "Cedrat", that I believe is called "Citron" in America. I use it as my everyday most casual scent. It has a nice and refreshing lemon note and then dries down very close to the body and doesn´t call much attention. It´s very practical as an everyday casual scent for hot weather.

I haven´t tried this "Farina" that you are saying good things about. Is it different from the "Extra Vielle"? Because I noticed they have "Extra Vielle" and "Farina Extra Vielle". What is the difference between both?

I think Roger&Gallet is an affordable and quality perfume house that offers honest colognes and I am glad that lately they have launched new interesting scents. "Eau de Lotus" seemed like a nice cologne for a female. And I liked a lot both "Eau de Gengibre" and "Cedrat/Citron".

I prefered the old bottles, but as long as they keep launching new honest and interesting colognes, for the same price, I will be hoping the changes they are making improve their business! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by trezzbr View Post
    I am a big fan of "Eau de Gengibre".
    You mean "gingembre".
    It's the french word for ginger.

François
    Ce message provient du Québec!

I am a big fan of R&G too, and i hope that they won't come to the horrid decision to cheapen the brand even further.
    At least the scents remain unchanged and that's a lot to say in this current state when most of the perfume houses change formulas left and right.
    R&G likes to go safe, and none of their scents deserve a solid Wow!, but they are pretty damn good and simple and a lot of their latest offerings are very wearable and fresh.
    I too got the newest ones, and my favorite is Cédrat, the only "bad" thing is the longevity, but i like it enoughnot to care too much about that.

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    I am a big fan of R&G too, and i hope that they won't come to the horrid decision to cheapen the brand even further.
    At least the scents remain unchanged and that's a lot to say in this current state when most of the perfume houses change formulas left and right.
    R&G likes to go safe, and none of their scents deserve a solid Wow!, but they are pretty damn good and simple and a lot of their latest offerings are very wearable and fresh.
    I too got the newest ones, and my favorite is Cédrat, the only "bad" thing is the longevity, but i like it enoughnot to care too much about that.
    Yep. Safe is a good word. I love their green tea fragrance. It's perfect for spring/summer, and the green tea soap is just awesome. I get great longevity with this one, and I have found it to be a favorite of female coworkers. But it's nothing groundbreaking or modern, just a really nice scent. Someone testing green tea frags PM'd me about getting a sample of this about 3 weeks ago and I lost (deleted) the message. I have it ready to send, whomever wanted it...
    -Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the new look is "cheaper" and the bottles are smaller. I don't think they have messed with the fragrances yet though. I certainly hope they don't. There are so many simple, but classy and refreshing scents in this line. Wearable and refined. I suspect that the "suits" are hoping to broaden their appeal. Very worrying.
    Also, I do agree that the new Cedrat is really nice and that the soaps, especially the Green Tea and the Cedrat, are completely addictive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by trezzbr View Post
    I am a big fan of "Eau de Gengibre". I think it is an excellent alternative to Mugler´s Cologne and Gendarme V. It´s a scent that fits very well the extremely hot and humid weather we have here.

Recently I got a big bottle of "Cedrat", that I believe is called "Citron" in America. I use it as my everyday most casual scent. It has a nice and refreshing lemon note and then dries down very close to the body and doesn´t call much attention. It´s very practical as an everyday casual scent for hot weather.

I haven´t tried this "Farina" that you are saying good things about. Is it different from the "Extra Vielle"? Because I noticed they have "Extra Vielle" and "Farina Extra Vielle". What is the difference between both?

I think Roger&Gallet is an affordable and quality perfume house that offers honest colognes and I am glad that lately they have launched new interesting scents. "Eau de Lotus" seemed like a nice cologne for a female. And I liked a lot both "Eau de Gengibre" and "Cedrat/Citron".

I prefered the old bottles, but as long as they keep launching new honest and interesting colognes, for the same price, I will be hoping the changes they are making improve their business! :-)

Its all the same thing, there is only one. I think it is called Extra Vielle Jean Marie Farina. Its the classic Eau with the old recipe - possibly the closest to recipe of the original Farina family cologne from cologne. Some others know more about this (Narcus? Tom?).

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

I won a bottle of Roger & Gallet last week on Ebay ..
    Im just bumping up the thread as it was the latest one discussing R & G .
    I beleive from what i have read above that i will like it .
    I will report back after I have sampled it , more next on the next post .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    Its all the same thing, there is only one. I think it is called Extra Vielle Jean Marie Farina. Its the classic Eau with the old recipe - possibly the closest to recipe of the original Farina family cologne from cologne. Some others know more about this (Narcus? Tom?).
    I am very sorry having missed this completely. I have been busy during the past six weeks, and with so many new threads each day, I sometimes miss the ones I would actually like to concentrate on. That's way I am answering late. Just as you said Hirch! My bottle says "Eau de Cologne, Jean Marie Farina, Extra-Veille". I think the box has date '183.x' added, which is either the date when the Farina Paris house was founded, or when it merged with R&G.

I won their "Eau de Cologne Lavande Royale" recently. I find it quite spectacular within this group of fragrances. Somewhere between the later period of enlightenment and romanticism, and not a lavender water in the usual sense. It includes thyme, noix de muscade, bay, cedre and musc. Where the lavender in Carons (two) 'Pour Homme' seems magnified, it is just a whisper here, but also well balanced with all other ingredients. There are a number of persons I could see wearing Royal Lavender in 'Pride and Prejudice'. But I also see why this kind of perfume art is easily overlooked in our days. If Malle issued a lavender, it might be in the same class, just a tad louder. Again, I wonder how the Caldey Island water would compare.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    I won a bottle of Roger & Gallet last week on Ebay ..
    Beg you - which one is it ?
    Last edited by narcus; 19th January 2008 at 09:29 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

It this one ...

By dimitrios69

SALES

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    It this one ...

By dimitrios69
    What a teaser !
    But never mind, I have my own problems with ImagesHack
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

that is the farina extra vieille EDC looks like a 100ml bottle. I want to try that lavender royale now.
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    What a teaser !
    But never mind, I have my own problems with ImagesHack

reviews

Post Thanks / Like

Its actually a mini bottle .. I won this plus a Woods of Windsor & a Faberge of some type .
    More when it arrives .

SALES