Code of Conduct

Smile What deodorant to use in combination with EDT or EDP?

Especially in the summer, a good deodorant that actually helps you transpire less, is a must. But you don't want the deodorant's (usually cheap) smell to interfere with your precious EDT or EDP.

Sure, for best logetivity you can layer yourself in some showergel, aftershave *and* EDT from the same scent, but since the EDT itself is usually expensive enough, I'm not sure how many people actually want to spend extra money on matching shower gel and aftershave.

So, the question: what deodorant do you use in combination with your scents? Any tips, opinions or suggestions?

As for myself, in Europe, I use a deodorant from the brand Neutral, that has soaps, detergents, hair gel etc. without perfume. Since you can't smell the deodorant, the only smell that is there, is your perfume.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: What deodorant to use in combination with EDT or EDP?

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Especially in the summer, a good deodorant that actually helps you transpire less, is a must. But you don't want the deodorant's (usually cheap) smell to interfere with your precious EDT or EDP.

Sure, for best logetivity you can layer yourself in some showergel, aftershave *and* EDT from the same scent, but since the EDT itself is usually expensive enough, I'm not sure how many people actually want to spend extra money on matching shower gel and aftershave.

So, the question: what deodorant do you use in combination with your scents? Any tips, opinions or suggestions?

As for myself, in Europe, I use a deodorant from the brand Neutral, that has soaps, detergents, hair gel etc. without perfume. Since you can't smell the deodorant, the only smell that is there, is your perfume.
    Clear and Natural No-Scent stick anti-perspirant works well, as does the Thai Crystal Stick
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Mitchums does a fantastic job, and you can even find it at Wal-Mart

Crystal deoderant, for me, is the Holy Grail of deoderants. It is super-effective, odorless and natural. It is also pretty cheap if you consider that a stick will last a whole year (unless you drop it).

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Especially in the summer, a good deodorant that actually helps you transpire less, is a must.
    Deodorants do not stop perspiration; they only stop odor. Crystals are deodorants only - they kill bacteria that causes odor.

Another vote here for Mitchum unscented - based on past similar threads, it seems to be the BN favorite.

Dove, Unscented.

(And on the same note, Dove's unscented "All Day Moisturizing Body Wash," when I'm not sure what perfume I'll be wearing.)
    Sniff and let sniff.

I've found that most deodorants clash with the fragrance you wear. I use something called a "Thai Deodorant Stone". It is nothing more than mineral salts in a ball the size of a baseball. The mineral salts kiil the bacteria that cause odor, and it does not impart any scent whatsoever. Do a search on the net, you'll find one...

Smile Re: What deodorant to use in combination with EDT or EDP?

Quote Originally Posted by MadScientist View Post
    Deodorants do not stop perspiration; they only stop odor. Crystals are deodorants only - they kill bacteria that causes odor.

Another vote here for Mitchum unscented - based on past similar threads, it seems to be the BN favorite.
    Funny you should say that, because in Europe (or at least here in Western Europe) deodorant actually has the meaning of - what I believe Americans would call - antiperspirants. With that I indeed mean products that reduce sweating by for example aluminium crystals that block the sweat glands on certain parts of your body.

Sorry for the confusion, as I know many people don't actually make a difference between deodorants and antiperspirants in the first place, because many products combine the two into one bottle.

As for myself, I try only to use odorless antiperspirants and/or deodorants, and let the scents of my EDT or EDP dominate. If it mixes with *some* sweat, sure, I think that will only cause a natural, perfumed body frangrance unique to yourself.

Blog Entries

One more vote for Mitchum unscented. I don't think I'll ever use anything else. Occasionally I DO use a crystal just for something different, but only in winter because as it's already been mentioned they don't block perspiration, just odor.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I wear Tom's of Maine unscented (original not the xtra strenght one) deodorant - does not interfere.

Almay unscented roll-on.

Another vote for Mitchum Unscented here. I prefer the gel to the other versions, but all of them are excellent.
    Discount and drug store fragrance trollop. http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=74

Dessert Essence Tea Tree Deodorant. Works great - basically unscented (the scent is gone after 15 minutes) - all natural, and still no odor all day, even after a heavy workout.

If i wear cologne I use the matching deoderant but if I cant match it or if I'm not using a cologne i probably use something unscented or something lightly scented. Lateley it's been the Nivea deoderants. Very clean smell and it doesn't linger. I have been contemplating on buying a Crystal deoderant though.

Smile Re: What deodorant to use in combination with EDT or EDP?

I agree that Tom's of Maine unscented kind works wonderfully. It's a deodorant without antiperspirant, but it really works for me -- the crystal deodorants never have.

I can only use Secret. Anything else turns very bad, even the unscented. I've tried so many other kinds and always have to come back after a couple of days. I'll pretty much use any of the Secret scents. They don't smell loud enough to clash with my frags. I'm currently in love with the platinum solid in kuku coco scent. It's funny cause it seems to blend into everything I wear. I don't really smell it through the day. Thankfully I don't have a problem with wetness.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Mitchum's unscented roll-on deodorant is the only one I use. It is very effective, in fact it used to be marketed as a product for problem odour, but I suppose that doesn't sound very glam so they changed it. I think that is a pity - it sounded trustworthy to me as a first-time buyer, and that is what people want above all from a deodorant, surely.

mitchum's unscented - at drug store: cheap and easy to find. don't grab the axe which was right next to it (at my riteaid).

Here is another vote for Tom's of Maine Unscented.
    If something stinks, it's probably me.

Which of these is available in the UK, I need something that stops sweat and dosent smell of anything, in roll on and spray would be nice, please post links if possible !

Use one of them crystal sticks. It's unscented. Plus, there's no aluminum, so you won't get Alzheimer's! hoorah!

I like the Estee Lauder Youth Dew roll-on. Obviously it's scented but it's very subtle (for Youth Dew, anyway), but I think the smell of it adds some subtle warmth to whatever fragrance I'm wearing.
    “Take care of the luxuries and the necessities will take care of themselves.”--Dorothy Parker

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I figured this was better than starting a new one. I'm looking into the Mitchum unscented anti-perspirant/deodorant, but I was wondering whether there any good alternatives with even stronger anti-perspirant components. I tend to sweat a lot (volume-wise), although my sweat doesn't smell much at all...
    Last edited by wmmk; 28th November 2009 at 04:54 PM.
    He is Ennui! — His eye filled with an unwished-for tear,
    He dreams of scaffolds while puffing at his hookah.
    You know him, reader, this exquisite monster,
    — Hypocrite reader, — my likeness, — my brother!

In Europe, also the unscented (and unisex too) deos by either Bekra Mineral or Hydro Fugal are easily available.
    Also, the ultra-affordable 24 hours on duty series by Avon include some extremely good quality unscented deos- available, just as in the case of the first two, more costly products, in many versions- including roll-on and deo stick.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 28th November 2009 at 05:08 PM.

If you really want an industrial strength anti-perspirant, you should look for something like Driclor that contains aluminium chloride. You only use it once a week or so, over night, and it will keep you dry as a bone...

Personally I prefer to use a more natural deodorant, like a crystal deo. I don't have a big problem with moisture anyway.
    Last edited by tott; 28th November 2009 at 05:29 PM.

I have now switched to Ban unscented roll-on.

I'm surprised Mitchum has so many recommendations. I was VERY disappointed to find that the "unscented" gel antiperspirant by Mitchum was in fact heavily scented with a cold/cool smelling white musk - something similar to Hugo XY. It was a strong smell and lasted a long time. Hardly unscented.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

tom's unscented
    Want to buy/trade: looking for some escentric molecules kinski, I have a bunch of decants/samples including escentric 02 and escentric 01

PM ME

Quote Originally Posted by wmmk View Post
    Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I figured this was better than starting a new one. I'm looking into the Mitchum unscented anti-perspirant/deodorant, but I was wondering whether there any good alternatives with even stronger anti-perspirant components. I tend to sweat a lot (volume-wise), although my sweat doesn't smell much at all...

Clarins for Men here

Clinique Skin Supplies for Men here not a direct link because the site is 'Flash' - you'll need to select and click.

Dove original anti-perspirant deodorant moisturising cream (it's in a stick).