Code of Conduct

Default Questionnaire results for fragrance habits in Lyon, France

For my final project in Lyon (France) before I head off to Grasse, I decided to do it on fragrances. I did some interviews and started doing questionnaires (kind of just for fun, since my interviews were enough to do the project).

After a small sample size of 31 questionnaires (ages 15-65, both genders), here's what I found:
    30 people wear fragrances (1 woman did not); most wore fragrances everyday.
    2 people out of 31 would buy used fragrances (ie. off of eBay).
    People received their first fragrances at an average age of 11 (5 being the lowest).
    3 people heard of Serge Lutens despite it being sold in pretty much every fragrance shop.
    4 people heard of L'artisan
    None heard of Montale, Creed, Frederic Malle, Diptyque, or Penhaligon.
    25+ people thought fragrances were too expensive.
    One would be willing to pay 200€ at the most for a fragrance though most would pay at the most 45€.

There's a lot of other data I need to look at, but here's a snapshot. I'll repost all the results after I finish my goal of 60 completed questionnaires and all the data processing. I tried to design the questionnaire as best as I could to provide good representative results.
    Last edited by scentophile; 15th December 2007 at 05:35 PM.

Default Re: Questionnaire results for fragrance habits in Lyon, France

Thanks for sharing the results!

Scents are horribly expensive in the store. Of course when you're active on the Basenotes forum, the chance that you also buy your stuff online (web stores, eBay) is much bigger, and actually that is the only way for me to afford these expensive scents.

Not to mention that you can sample a huge collection 5ml bottles online before you splash out money to buy a 30, 50 or 100 ml bottle of a scent you really like.

Nice work. It would also be interesting to see what they were wearing at the time, thus getting a small snapshot of what the average person in Lyon wears.

Best of luck to you.
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    Nice work. It would also be interesting to see what they were wearing at the time, thus getting a small snapshot of what the average person in Lyon wears.

Best of luck to you.
    Interesting! I'll add that question in for my next batch of questionnaires.