Code of Conduct

Default Letter to Hermes (re: Kelly Caleche)

Dear Hermes Fragrance Committee:

A mixture of Terre d' Hermes and Un Jardin Sur le Nil does not an interesting fragrance make. How this combination of notes relates in any way to the advertisement of a woman strolling on a beach in leather and ...oh, yes... with a whip... is a total mystery.

Please grow a backbone and make the next Hermes release an usual fragrance with something interesting to convey about the wearer. Perhaps spending more time on actual fragrance development and less time with striking visuals would be a good place to begin. I am wondering if the days of Hiris and 24 Faubourg behind you forever, as the past few scent releases have been below the usual standard of ingenuity for the house of Hermes.

The in house perfumer you now employ is the genius behind the grand, beautiful, and utterly inimitable First. Your potential for beautitul and innovative fragrances is there; now please permit it to be actualized.

Thank you for your attention to this matter.

Your loyal but disgruntled customer,

Seattlelight

P.S. Pink is not your best color.

Default Re: Letter to Hermes (re: Kelly Caleche)

Hmm, I'm not sure if I agree that pink is no good for Hermes, but I agree in Kelly Caleche's case. Perhaps it's the reason I haven't tried it yet.

Howlingly good! Are you going to send it?
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Kelly Caleche has NO elements taken from Terre d 'Hermes!

Kelly Caleche is a fresh etheral floral leather, a very modern, sexy, fun and young fragrance. just don 't expect a classic leather perfume such as Tabac Blond or Cuir de Russie nor a soft, ladylike and elegant leather fragrance like Daim Blond by Serge Lutens.

With the KC, I think that Hermes is trying to chase the younger market, in the hopes of making getting the 20somethings to grow up with the brand and later to enjoy the classics.

I happen to really like this one. On my shelf, it stands tall right beside the 24 faubourg and the Ambre Narguile. But I do agree with you, it lacks the timelessness and ingenuity that is classic Hermes.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I'll just add that I haven't even tried my sample of Kelly Caleche yet, but the letter is a work of art.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post
    With the KC, I think that Hermes is trying to chase the younger market, in the hopes of making getting the 20somethings to grow up with the brand and later to enjoy the classics.

I happen to really like this one. On my shelf, it stands tall right beside the 24 faubourg and the Ambre Narguile. But I do agree with you, it lacks the timelessness and ingenuity that is classic Hermes.
    Ditto.

Oh yeah - and is it just me, or does KC last and last and last on your skin? I'm not saying that superior longevity is a mark of a good scent, but still...

Oh, yes, it is a tenacious one.

KC is an okay scent. It is "pleasant" and "cute" in the manner of something like Estee Lauder's Pleasures. It's just uninteresting, IMO, and therefore a disappointment; I had high hopes based on the
    Caleche name.

I may begin wearing Hermes Rouge Eau Delicate just to be ornery. Nothing pleasant and cute about that one - but it sure is unusual.

I 'm also surprised at Kelly Caleche 's exceptional longevity considering how etheral and low sillage this fragrance is. the execution is minimalist which is no surprise coming from Jean Claude Ellena, the composition great, definitely high end synthetic and natural ingredients here. I would never dismiss a great fragrance just because it 's pink or because of raspberry and vanilla!

but anyways let 's get real here, Hermes was not selling their classics anymore, this was going downhill that 's why they decided to hire one of the most talented nose in the world with a completely different new approach and style to modernize their image with quality. maybe the Hermessences collection could have retained a more traditional classier olfactory concept.

"I would never dismiss a great fragrance just because it 's pink or because of raspberry and vanilla!"

Great fragrance?? Whoa, Nellie. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Pink, raspberry, and vanilla aren't the problem for me. An absence of anything interesting and/or unique in the scent is the problem.

I'm not necessarily interested in "classics". What I'm interested in is innovation / uniqueness - done with some finesse - not clobbering me over the head with strength and sweetness as some other lines are want to do. Now that I think about it, innovation and uniqueness do typically characterize classics, so perhaps that is what I'm after! This is what Hermes used to be about.

JC's "minimalist" approach has been alright, but it's time to move on. When your scents begin smelling like dishwashing liquid and other household items, it is time to go down a different path.

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    "I would never dismiss a great fragrance just because it 's pink or because of raspberry and vanilla!"

Great fragrance?? Whoa, Nellie. We'll have to agree to disagree on that one.

Pink, raspberry, and vanilla aren't the problem for me. An absence of anything interesting and/or unique in the scent is the problem.

I'm not necessarily interested in "classics". What I'm interested in is innovation / uniqueness - done with some finesse - not clobbering me over the head with strength and sweetness as some other lines are want to do. Now that I think about it, innovation and uniqueness do typically characterize classics, so perhaps that is what I'm after! This is what Hermes used to be about.

JC's "minimalist" approach has been alright, but it's time to move on. When your scents begin smelling like dishwashing liquid and other household items, it is time to go down a different path.
    your opinion is valuable but extreme, believe me if you compare all the new mainstream fragrances to Kelly Caleche, KC is one of the most interesting.
    the other day I was testing Dior Midnight Poison and D&G The One, both were terribly boring, predictable and generic. KC uses high end natural ingredients that I don 't see in other mainstream fragrances. its leather is brilliantly subtle and sexy.
    I love 24 Faubourg but let 's face it, this used to be for a clientele that has moved on to Serge Lutens and Frederic Malle, women who shop at Sephora wear leather only if it looks pink and it 's got grapefruit and raspberry to balance it out.

A Mixture of Terre & Un jardin ... Don´t think so too but it´s interesting to now that "Ellena has used a total of just 130 components for his last 10 creations."

Did test this last weekend for my wife (29) with her and it was a frag for which she looked since a long time. She don´t like heavy frags and we find kelly light, feminin & elegant but not to sweet & sexy and high quality.
    Last edited by sanatik; 19th December 2007 at 10:05 AM.
    "Wow, I've never smelled anything like that before."

Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me, but heaven knows it is not alone in that. I have a drawerful of samples of popular perfumes that I wouldn't let touch me again (JPG, you are top of the list). Some of them cost a fortune for real bottles.

But best wishes to anyone that loves them and enjoys the wearing of them. That's what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me
    OK that's hilarious!!!!

I just have to retest this again!!!
    My first try left me uninspired and unimpressed
    to the extent that I can hardly even remember it.
    But hearing how:

"light, feminin & elegant", it is, and
    "its leather is brilliantly subtle and sexy",
    and supposedly has,
    "exceptional longevity considering how etheral
    and low sillage this fragrance is
    "

I'm ready to wear this for work no matter what it smells like .
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

I suspect our different perceptions need to be taken in context of what the person is used to wearing. If you usually wear a white musk or vanilla, or patchoulli, for example, then a spritz of KC for a test run probably will evoke a surprisingly elegant and feminine and light and non sweet and subtle vibe. After the SJP, Prada, NR, all of those releases that focused on vanilla, musk, patchoulli, amber, etc...the folks used to wearing those scents are going to be blown away by something like KC; it will seem fresh and new. I'm sure the marketers are fully aware of this (new Iris Prada scent following up regular Prada, for example).

If you're used to a wide range of greens and chypres over many years, as I am, KC may smell a bit harsh and brash and not elegant or subtle (see urine comment, above). That's just an hypothesis; it's been true with my anectodal experiences.

For those of you who love it and find it alluring, I'm glad it's working for you. It disappointed me in its lack of innovation, that's all I'm saying.

Quote Originally Posted by dimples View Post

Just like Guerlain (alas!) Insolence. : (
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

i love kelly calèche, period.
    irregardless of the market...customers....pink....whatever
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

smells great to me. simplicity done well. it's not groundbreaking, but 'unique' is not the same as 'good'. difference for it's own sake is often a waste.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Kelly Caleche is non pretentious, easy to wear, sort of high end mainstream category but not niche, smells very natural, sexy and extremely pleasant. Jean-Claude Ellena did his best here with this new Hermes fragrance inspired by classic Hermes elements such as the Kelly bag and their historic leather production site taking his minimalist and non literal execution style to a new level of simplicity, feminity and beauty.
    his best fragrance since Rose Poivree.

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    'unique' is not the same as 'good'

Here, here. *applause*

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by seattlelight View Post
    Dear Hermes Fragrance Committee:

A mixture of Terre d' Hermes and Un Jardin Sur le Nil does not an interesting fragrance make. How this combination of notes relates in any way to the advertisement of a woman strolling on a beach in leather and ...oh, yes... with a whip... is a total mystery.
    Thank you Seattlelight!,

You doused my idle curiousity; this does not seem to be a must have or even must sniff at this point in my exploratory phase. I think I will continue my love affair with Un Jardin Sur le Nil, which for me is quite a departure from other frags in my wardrobe.

Spent some time reading reviews of KC when it was released, but most of what I have read from those with better noses than mine left me uneasy (after peeling away the marketing hype). I am sure that others may love it - but at current the price point, I think my money would be better spent on something that will be a radical departure from what I already own/wear/love. I am not inspired by adjectives like "cute" "young" (I'm no 20something).

Will probably get around to sampling it at some point in the distant future but have too much "frag homework" on my plate supplied by generous BN'ers to place this on a priority "to sniff" list. This is what I find so valuable about BN. Granted - I am not one to allow reviews or others opinions about frags to rule my life - ultimately my scent favs are more about what works best on me - regardless of status, popularity, or price.

No disrespect intended for those who like it - it just doesn't sound like my cuppa
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Basenotes Institution

True story:

My niece (9 years old) brought her friend over to my house, since my boyfriend and I were taking her to brunch to celebrate her birthday. She asked me if she could wear some of my 'colognes' since she knows about my fragrance collection.

I took her to my wardrobe and after scanning the bottles that I had, I chose Kelly Caleche and sprayed some on her and her friend.

They LOVED it!

I had an inner laugh going on the entire time...well, of course they love it, Hermes got their demographic perfectly with KC!