Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 5 scents for the holidays

Like many of us, I'm traveling to visit family for the holidays.

Here's my question: which 5 perfumes would YOU pack for your holidays?

And when you think about it, it's quite a job: there's Christmas Eve with my half-Dutch husband and his sister, Christmas Day with the eating and the presents and the eating and the snoozing and the sugared-up small child hurtling around, dinner out for our wedding anniversary, a New Year's Eve party, and also a night out clubbing with my girlfriends.

I'm going with
    Madame Rochas - for 'sunday lunch' and general wearing
    Bois des Iles - for Christmas Eve - rich gingerbread notes, mmmmmm
    L'Eau d'Hiver - for comforting snuggliness after chilly walks
    Ambre Sultan - for dinner with Hubby
    Tabac Blond - for Christmas shopping with sharpened elbows and also for New Year's Eve and my girls' night out
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 scents for the holidays

LOL! Wordbird I feel you on this one. Deciding what perfumes to take with me has become almost as important as which outfit to take. Wow, you guys make me feel less and less nutty every day. I thought I only did things like that. I stand in front of my vanity and decide which perfume for which day.

I wish I could help you decide Wordbird, but I haven't smelled any of the ones you listed. So, I'm gonna get my nonhelpful self out of here and in the bed. I just finished a 12hr shift and I'm tired. I'm sure you will smell wonderful. Just make sure you wear your Hubby's favorite scent on your anniversary. Have a great holiday. Have fun for me. I'll be at work.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Diva
    Welcome to the club! I've got used to being a bit nutty. I no longer have any shame. ;-)

What I really meant was what perfumes will you be packing for your holidays?
    Do you have something in mind for your Xmas parties and something different for Xmas day?
    That kind of thing.

I'm curious to know what perfumed plans our BN friends have for the festivities.
    What will you be wearing on Christmas day, do you think?
    x

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Post Thanks / Like

I think I've narrowed my Christmas day scent down to Rahat Loukoum
    by Serge Lutens.I'll be spending it at my sister's house along with 20 other
    members of our family. It's such a cosy, reassuring scent and smells so
    warm and lovely.
    For other Christmas parties I may wear Le Parfum de Therese or Cinnabar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Christmas Eve -Nuit de Noel - have been waiting to wear this.

Christmas Day probably !000 - not sure yet, and after gifts are opened I'll probably wear Poeme since DH buys me new bottle every year.

Travel plans are to go to Philly - always have Terracotta with me when traveling - and will take some samples to try out

Will be going to New Year's Eve dance and DH has developed a strong liking for me in Datura Noir so I suppose I 'll wear that.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ohhhh OK! I will probably be wearing Elixir des Merveilles on Xmas. I'm getting ready to go and get a bottle in a few. I don't have anything else planned for the holiday cause I have to work Xmas and New Years. I haven't thought about New Years though. This is the 1st year I have had to work on New Years. Hmmmm I always like to go into the New Year with a new frag. I usually buy one for myself every Christmas and wear it for the New Year.

I'm one of those folks who have their little quirks about going into the new year with everything in order. They say whatever you're doing when it hits midnight is what you will be doing for the rest of the year. So, I make sure Me and my place is good and clean and smelling good. I have money in my pocket, my purse, my hand, and in the bank :O. It's been working so far.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sweet tradition, Diva!

Goodness, definitely not staying long enough for 5 fragrances. I might wear Delices de Cartier for Christmas because it's yummy, I can't wear it to work, and maybe because it kind of looks like an ornament. Max Mara for New Year's because it looks like champagne? Sort of irrational, oh well.
    Last edited by bernat; 17th December 2007 at 12:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lunch with girlfriends: a light touch of A Fleur de Peau
    Party with girlfriends: Lolita Lempicka
    Supper with bro' and his GF: Prada
    Christmas Carols in town: Peace on Earth
    Christmas Eve: Nuit de Noel (of course)
    Christmas Day: Ambre Sultan (because I'm pretty sure I'm getting a miniature of it with a gift.)
    Hotel night before we fly home: Tabu (ooh la la!)
    And mutltiple other samples, I'll definitely wear Poivre at least once, as well as whatever I get as perfumed gifts.
    YAY!
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Post Thanks / Like

I love that tradition Diva! I'll try to remember (might just be tipsy...) to follow suit.
    And thanks for working over the holidays - you're enabling a lot of people to relax and enjoy themselves, which is a great kindness.

And Kewart - you may just have given me a brilliant idea for my Mum's Christmas present... we always buy her a box of turkish delight at Christmas as it's her favourite. I wonder if she'd like Rahat Loukoum perfume? She loves roses and florals and now she's a bit older (in her 70s but puts me to shame for energy and smarts) she's preferring gentler fragrances. Plus she's a devil to buy for because, as she says, 'I've got everything I want'.
    x
    Last edited by Wordbird; 17th December 2007 at 02:03 PM.

My plan (although that could change) is to wear Tabac Blond extrait Christmas eve, Shocking Christmas day, Burberry Brit for Boxing Day Lunch with family and then Black Cashmere in the evening to a party.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Post Thanks / Like

I also wear Bois des Iles on Christmas Eve.....after that who knows. Hopefully my hubby took my Lucky Scent wishlist seriously and bought me something fabulous! My bigger dilemma is what to take to New Orleans at the first of the year!

Post Thanks / Like

For Christmas Eve, I was thinking about Chypre Rouge or Arabie.
    If my Anglique Encens arrives on time, I will definately wear it to the New Year's Eve count down on a black tie boat trip to see the fireworks.

I carry in my bag an old slim cigar tin full of sample vials. It no longer smells of cigars, but the melange of perfume that greets me when I open it is divine. It is a tin rather any other material to protect the contents from taking a knock. It is slim enough to fit into one of the pockets of most of my bags (always use bags with pockets). I have a Penhaligon's sample tin on standby at just the right size in case anything happens to my cigar tin.

The current collection numbers 18. I can take my pick according to mood. I usually take a look and replenish the contents before any journey away from home.

The 5 most used in the last few weeks, at a guess -
    Rose Absolue
    Chergui
    Nuits Noir
    Ormonde Woman
    Messe de Minuit

I will decant some Shalimar for Christmas and take that along too. There are usually a couple of Miller Harris ones in there, a couple of Goutals, and a couple of Creeds. Caron is always represented with Narcisse Noir and a.n.other. Niche frags make up the rest. I like to carry a variety of styles and make sure there are florals as well as incencey ones.

I'll be working on and off during the holiday but perfumes will accompany me wherever I go.