Code of Conduct

Thread: mystery perfume

Default mystery perfume

i am a 27 year old man and am very familiar with a lot of the popular women's scents (chanel, angel, betsey j., DG light blue, euphoria, and most of the other popular newer scents. every once in a while i'm out at a club or mall and a woman walks by with something i've never smelled and it just drives me nuts. it's always completely different from everything i've ever smelled on a woman. i'm trying to find something exotic for my girl for x-mas. any help would be much appreciated

thanks!!!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: mystery perfume

There's a good possibility that what you're looking for is a niche scent (as opposed to mainstream products). I highly recommend your ordering a boodle of samples from someplace like luckyscent.com or aedes.com. The sampling process can be terrifically fun.

It's a little late in the game for next Tuesday though.
    Last edited by Quarry; 20th December 2007 at 11:08 PM.

It's always possible to politely ask what perfume someone is wearing. I do it regularly, to both men and women. So long as you're ultra polite and it's clear you're not pulling some weird come-on or pick up line, people are almost always happy to tell you what they're wearing, especially if you compliment them in the process.

As for something unusual, have you smelled DKNY Black Cashmere? It's got a very unusual and delicious saffron note, quite the stand out fragrance in my opinion.
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

Yeah, I think niche fragrances are what you're describing. If you're near a Barney's you can test some i Profumi di Firenze, L'Artisan and Frederic Malle. I'm not sure where else sells CB I Hate Perfume except luckyscent.com, but they sell samples.
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

thanks for the responses!! what are some other popular niche perfume/cologne?

Exotic? Something that drives you wild when a woman walks past you wearing it? So much so that you wish you'd stopped them and asked what it was?

Try Clinique Aromatics Elixir. That fits the bill perfectly.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    thanks for the responses!! what are some other popular niche perfume/cologne?
    Popular niche is a bit of an oxymoron, but I know what you mean (I think!). For the epitome of 'popular niche' go for Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan (unisex). And Rousse - that is also gorgeous for men and for women. For fabulous 'girliness and floral perfection', try Sa Majeste La Rose and A La Nuit (the finest jasmine I've ever sniffed - totally true to the flower). For rich floral heavenliness, try Anick Goutal Songes. For spice (and not exactly niche, but hard to get sometimes) try Donna Karan Black Cashmere. And for a variation on chypre, I can't recommend Narciso Rodriguez for Her strongly enough. The debate as to whether the EDT or EDP is better rages on. For me, the EDP is the best, but many others prefer the EDT. Whichever you choose, there is definitely a difference between these two, and the final decision is up to the wearer.

Of course, there are hundreds more...
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by bonni View Post
    It's always possible to politely ask what perfume someone is wearing. I do it regularly, to both men and women. So long as you're ultra polite and it's clear you're not pulling some weird come-on or pick up line, people are almost always happy to tell you what they're wearing, especially if you compliment them in the process.

As for something unusual, have you smelled DKNY Black Cashmere? It's got a very unusual and delicious saffron note, quite the stand out fragrance in my opinion.
    I totally agree with you regarding just asking people. I've done it many times (most notably in a shop when a woman walked by me wearing Aromatics Elixir and I would have DIED if I hadn't found out what it was. That fragrance was so exotic and sexy I had to know what it was). Generally, people are flattered that you noticed and that you liked it enough to stop them - a complete stranger - and ask.

Totally agree re Black Cashmere (just recommended it myself). I got my daughter and her boyfriend to smell that last night, and they practically sucked the liquid out of the bottle with their noses. They breathed it in so deeply, and both went 'mmmmmmm'. It's yummy. And so sexy. And just...warm. It's the perfect winter fragrance.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 21st December 2007 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Look here for Lucky Scent's best sellers: http://www.luckyscent.com/toppicks.asp

They organize their most popular niche fragrances by categories, which should be very helpful in narrowing down the field.

You can also check out that "fragrance finder" I posted about on the "just starting out" board, good luck!