Code of Conduct

Question Ladies...Chanel Problem...

Help me out here, ladies, I've got a problem. I wanted to get my long-time girlfriend something classic this year, and I've got her gifts all matched and sorted out. She's into the Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly sophistication. So I went with some classic pearl jewelery, a tasteful watch, and what I hoped would be a good matching perfume....Chanel No. 5. Recently though, she has said to me that she doesn't really care for No. 5, but likes coco mademoiselle more. To me though, coco mademoiselle smells far too sweet and sickly-flowery on her skin, and No. 5 smells like, well, "woman." So what should I do? Keep the No. 5 and get her a small bottle of coco mademoiselle as another gift? Return it? I dunno. Which do you like more, in your opinion?

Alex

Default Re: Ladies...Chanel Problem...

I love Coco Mademoiselle!! You should get her what she likes though. It doesn't make since that you get her something that she doesn't like to wear.

If you really want to keep the whole Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly thing going then try the Creeds that were made especially for both of them

Audrey.....Spring Flowers

Grace......Flourissimo
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

I like No. 5 better, but would never wear it, as it smells like my husbands departed grandmother. She had all of the products and used them liberally. It seems that other people have similar associations with this classic fragrance.

Why not go with the old stand by suggestion of taking her out to sample fragrances, taking her out to dinner while the scents settle, and then buying her the one she likes best on dry down?

I agree, getting her something she has said she doesn't like does not make much sense. I would return it.

Chanel is selling a coffret of pure parfums right now as a holiday gift set. It has No. 5, Coco, Coco Madamoiselle, Allure, and Allure Sensuelle. It's $80, I think. The little bottles are so cute.

If you get her this, she'll get the one she likes, the one you like, and maybe both of you will find something you like together in the other fragrances.

Good luck!
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

You might find if you go sampling together that in fact you both like a whole different Chanel.
    Your screen ident says you're in Washington DC, surely your nation's capital has a Chanel boutique?
    If so, make it a special day by going to try the rarer Chanels at the boutique and see what your beloved likes best. I love the suggestion of taking her for a lovely dinner while she sees how she likes the drydown. Very elegant!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Daim Blond by Serge Lutens embodies the most Audrey Hepburn natural elegance and as for Grace Kelly just go for Kelly Caleche by Hermes, the fragrance is an etheral floral leather paying homage to the Hermes Grace Kelly bag.

http://www.luckyscent.com/shop/detai...36104&section=
    Last edited by Juliette de Lorsange; 17th December 2007 at 06:52 PM. Reason: .

When choosing a gift I think it's imperative to give something special that the recipient will love! Ditch the No.5 and cave into the Coco Mad.!!! (The happier she is, the happier you'll be too!)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexChesbro View Post
    Help me out here, ladies, I've got a problem. I wanted to get my long-time girlfriend something classic this year, and I've got her gifts all matched and sorted out. She's into the Audrey Hepburn and Grace Kelly sophistication. So I went with some classic pearl jewelery, a tasteful watch, and what I hoped would be a good matching perfume....Chanel No. 5. Recently though, she has said to me that she doesn't really care for No. 5, but likes coco mademoiselle more. To me though, coco mademoiselle smells far too sweet and sickly-flowery on her skin, and No. 5 smells like, well, "woman." So what should I do? Keep the No. 5 and get her a small bottle of coco mademoiselle as another gift? Return it? I dunno. Which do you like more, in your opinion?

Alex
    The best is to offer her something she likes. The gift has to please her, not to please you.

I agree with what others have said. You should buy for her taste, not your own, and if I were choosing personally, I would definitely pick CM over no 5. I find no 5 sickly. Bottom line: It's how the fragrance smells on the person's skin that matters, and also how much they enjoy wearing it.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I do not care at all about the coco madamoiselle: a well done scent maybe but just too much made to appeal to the youngster american teenagers rather than to reflect a moderm gabrielle of nowadays.
    No. 5 is a timeless gem but I see not every girl can bear its classic beauty these days. And above all, if you are such a lucky boy to have at your side a nouvelle Grace Kelly, how to disappoint her by giving her something she doesn't like?
    You could maybe try to go with her to a Chanel boutique to try some juices, also among les exclusifs.
    No. 19, Coco (the original one), bois des iles and many others are worth a try. I bet you'll find something satisfying both of you!

Thank you all for your responses! I actually had her go test some No. 5 yesterday, and she said she actually didn't mind the opening as much as she used to, and the drydown was something she looooved. However, lucky for her (and thanks to all who helped), I bought her a bottle of Coco M anyway :-)

O.K. Alex, but next time do this:
    Take her to a Chanel boutique. You're in D.C. There's bound to be one nearby. They have many more Chanel scents than the department stores.
    I agree with Magnifiscent, Bois des Iles and No. 19 are wonderful.
    Also, they have Gardenia, Cuir de Russie, and Les Exclusifs.

Smile Re: Ladies...Chanel Problem...

Good man Alex! Sounds like a win-win situation. Merry Christmas!

Grace Kelly loved wearing Chant d'Aromes by Guerlain and Prince Ranier had Creed make Fleurissimo especially for her to wear at their wedding, for future reference.

I had the opportunity to try Coco and compare it to CM, and although I do like CM a great deal, I found Coco a far richer and more robust fragrance. Warmer too. I don't think I would want to choose one over the other. Rather, I will probably at some stage include Coco in my wardrobe for days when I want to feel sophisticated and 'grown up'.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Talking Re: Ladies...Chanel Problem...

Upon further reflection, Chanel is never a problem!
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

You should wear the No. 5. I think it's unisex enough.
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

get her coco madamoiselle, it's what she likes! this is not a difficult problem.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors