Code of Conduct

Default Fleur du Male revisited...

Ever since LFdM was met with mixed reviews here, it has been knocking around in the back of my head.
    Upon its launch, I took an immediate liking to the stuff. I didn't look too hard at its strengths and weaknesses, so took it at face value... a very unique and challenging male floral. I found it to be a bit of a gem.
    My wife at first was dubious. She didn't like it at all. Then one day, several months ago, I spritzed a sample before we, er, well... before we had a bit of a marathon romp one afternoon. Later, she told me it was growing on her.

Then I read through some reviews here on BN. Whilst the majority of users convey their thoughts and insights in a civilized fashion, I found the "smells like a rancid urinal" comments a bit boorish and junvenile. But, rather regretfully, I let them get to me. From then on, all I could smell was a dirty mens bathroom.

Fast forward several months to last night.
    I met with my wife after work in the city to do some grocery shopping. As we exited the market a chap passed us. My wife commented as we left "ooooh, he smelled dead sexy". I asked what it was and she said "something you used to wear I think... something strong and sexy".
    I hadn't caught the scent so I re-entered the store and wandered past the guy (read: stalked him around the cold meats freezer). He smelled amazing. He was wearing Fleur du Male.

I smugly sauntered up to my wife and told her he was wearing FdM, knowing very well she'd wrinkle her nose, but instead she stared wide eyed.
    "Well, we'll have to get you some of THAT" she said with a glint in her eye.
    "Indeed", I said with a knowing smile, "indeed".

Moral of the story: If you know youre on to a good thing, then it doesnt matter how many harsh words or poor reviews are said about it. If it means you and the Mrs are gonna rock til you drop, then its well worth "outing yourself" in the public arena and exclaiming "Fleur du Male ROCKS"!

Default Re: Fleur du Male revisited...

It is amazing how reading the opinions of others can help open the mind to re-evaluate a scent and notice new things - sometimes pleasant and sometimes not.

Glad to hear you make a stand and enjoy what you enjoy. It sounds so simple it should be obvious, but given other's opinions and likes and dislikes I know how hard it really can be.

In regards to FDM, I'm going to have to try it again on my skin. I had a friend bring up a sample card not too long ago, and wasn't really digging it on paper. But I missed all of the top notes and of course its progression on skin.

In the beginning, both you and your wife hated it.

Now you smelled some cologne on some guy, and your nose told you it was Fleur du Male.
    You didn't ask what it was, so how can you be sure it was Fleur du Male?
    What if it was a fragrance very similar to FdM?

I don't have doubts about your knowledge and your fine nose for perfume, Dimitri.
    But such things are tricky and the last thing I want to happen is that you buy FdM and realise you were wrong and that you smell like a dirty men's bathroom.

When I smelled FdM on a card, I was really really disgusted.
    It disgusted me more than the smell of dog sh*t.
    I want to push myself to retry it, but the thought of doing so scares me.

It was FdM JBL.
    When I reached home, I retrieved my old sample and we confirmed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri View Post
    ...Moral of the story: If you know youre on to a good thing, then it doesnt matter how many harsh words or poor reviews are said about it. If it means you and the Mrs are gonna rock til you drop, then its well worth "outing yourself" in the public arena and exclaiming "Fleur du Male ROCKS"!
    I'm almost grateful for this statement, Dimitri! It reconfirms my own philosophy re perfumes. Of course, my own start was different. Nobody had commented on it when I ran into the first sample. And I didn't change my mind later: this perfume emits a very positive, optimistic aura, no matter whether it's worn by a young athlete or some woman impersonator (an experience yet to be made ). Being noticeable on some guy passing by - thanks for the warning. I wouldn't want to be the one.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Hey, Dimitri! I think your thread shouldn't have been titled, 'Fleur du Male revisited...' but 'My Wife Really Digs Fleur du Male (Especially on Me)!'

Glad to see you're appreciating something you, initially, didn't like.

I agree with Trebor; I am glad you found something positive in this fragrance! However, it just didn't work for me either. I just can't get into JPG frags. Perhaps it is because of his use of vanilla.

Hi Dimitri, I'm with you. I like this fragrance so much that I bought a 125-ml bottle, after purchasing 3 sample vials on the internet. I have so far never smelled this scent from anyone here, but I feel sexy when I got a whiff of it from my chest. Anyway, this smells great on me when I sweat a bit. When the weather is a little cool, one spray could punch me in the face. Using FdM requires an artistic ability in spraying!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

I've said it before, and i'll say it again...

Fleur Du Male is a masterpiece.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

It always amazes me how paradigms play a fundamental roll in perception. A comment, a name, a stereotype, a memory can turn a judgment around. Something you like can be spoiled by a memory. Something you dislike can become a masterpiece once you see who it looks/smells/feels in others. In my case Gucci Envy was at the beginning just a metrosexual version of Polo Green. But a year later, once my paradigms of perfume had changed, after I smelled it on another guy I found it to be an amazing scent. A mor juvenile Brit.

Once a gain I say that it is quite difficult to smell just the scent. One smells a price, a bottle, a memory, a gender, an age, an outfit... IT is just a scent.

Though I didn't mind the shape of the unique bottle, I was instinctively suspicious upon seeing the word "Fleur". I tried it out on a card, and then on my skin, yet disliked it so much that I eventually traded in the sample vial for something better. Thank goodness I wasn't out in public, for I would have thought I was wearing cheap female perfume rather than a distinctively masculine scent. Even the urinal cakes in finer hotel men's rooms are more pleasant, in my mind. If I felt like wearing something more floral, I would stick with Grey Flannel.

Haha, I had this kind of mind change once too, but not with FDM but Fahrenheit.

Two years ago I was absolutely disgusted by this scent and now I am wearing it and I really like it!

I got a sniff from FDM last Summer and it didnt smell bad, just not as "manly" I would like my fragances to smell.

I think I will give it a try soon.

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk View Post
    Using FdM requires an artistic ability in spraying!
    I hear ya!! Less is more with this one...

I stand fast with my original posted review of this fragrance (before the urinal "insights" corrupted me, that is)...

I do believe that the "inventor/nose" of this scent is taking the general public for a ride especailly with that GREAT WHITE BOTTLE

a reall WHITE ELEPHANT to me !!!

What kind of men would want to smell like that all day.......and night ??/

laurent
    Invisible Power

The problem with FdM is that there are better floral fragrances and better masculine fragrances out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    The problem with FdM is that there are better floral fragrances and better masculine fragrances out there.
    That is certainly true - but if you know some that are both, masculine and floral (except Brut, Voleur de Roses, GreyF and those Montales) - please list them here.
    Last edited by narcus; 18th December 2007 at 12:20 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.