Code of Conduct

Default Just received some Montale samples, including Red Aoud

Well, today, I’ve just received four highly anticipated samples from Montale. I’ve only had them on my skin for a couple of hours but here are my first impressions (I’m not very good at telling notes apart, so please bear with me):

Golden Aoud: This one seems to be lighter than most Montale Aouds and not as harsh. It’s very similar to the more genteel offerings from this line (Attar, Ambre Aoud…). There’s no ‘in your face’ oud present in this one and that was something that I sorely missed. What I got were mainly dry woods – I could detect some cedar and sandalwood but have yet to dissect the composition fully (the oud was just about there). Unfortunately, I found this one to be too underwhelming for my tastes. Also, there’s a noticeable smoky or metallic accord during the drydown, which could be either irritating or addictive to some. For those who love the more discreet Montales, this one should appeal to you.

Chocolate Greedy: I’ve long given up on finding a chocolate scent for my collection and, at the moment, Chocolate Greedy’s not going to change that. It starts off with a blast of dry, dark cocoa (and possibly a wafer-like accord). After a few moments, a cake/biscuit dough mix emerges with some vanilla underlying the whole development. Credit should be given to Montale for anchoring the vanilla firmly in the background, while the cocoa notes continue to dominate. The dough mix accord, however, never disappears and this is the problem I have with Chocolate Greedy. I’ve read that there’s a cardboard note during the drydown and I’m sure this originates from that very dough mix note. At times it’s pleasant but other times it’s just downright irritating. It’s not a sillage monster but seems to have very good longevity. There’s also a creaminess that occasionally presents itself but never sticks around long enough – I probably would have liked this more if it did. An interesting take on the whole chocolate/gourmand concept, which I may test out a couple more times.

Velvet Aoud: Wow! The opening blast was truly amazing! Comparisons to Chinatown were completely spot on – the Peach Blossom, Ylang-ylang and Tiare all present themselves almost at once (along with a strong but not harsh oud note). It stays this way for several minutes before the vanilla rears its sweet head. At this point, Velvet Aoud is extremely intoxicating and creamy, and a definite contender. And then it all goes wrong – the sexy scent mutates into something very powdery and old lady-ish. It smells somewhat Dior-ish by this point, and it’s also at this point that my heart sinks and I give up on it. By the time I’ve decided to sniff it again, faint traces of the previous notes linger against a sandalwood drydown. But the sandalwood is more of the dry variety rather than the creamy sandalwood that usually entrances me. What was very promising at the beginning has now become somewhat of a disappointment. Pass.

Red Aoud: Now, this one is spectacular! Personally, I see no real resemblance between this and Black Aoud (and I still consider Aoud Flowers to be a more suitably darker version of Black Aoud) but it does come across as more masculine. At first, my nose is met with a very sharp combo of oud and, what I can best describe as, a rich red plum note. Initially, I don’t know what to make of it – it’s so astringent that my nose is desperately trying to make sense of it all. However, these opening notes are absolutely intriguing. Once the opening blast calms down, I can detect some floral notes but am not able to distinguish them. It’s only when the vanilla (?) later emerges that this baby really comes into its own. It then develops into a kind of gourmand scent, with 'vanilla', oud and the remnants of the 'plum' note (now somewhat boozy) quite prominent. To my nose, there’s a sexy gourmand vibe occurring that’s very reminiscent of the drydowns of Musc Ravageur, Hermèssence Ambre Narguilé and even Spiritueuse Double Vanille. This stage persists for almost an hour before the 'vanilla' subsides and the oud takes centre stage again. All the other notes have now settled down at this point and all I’m left with is this slightly fruity (not floral) oud drydown. I gently breathe onto my arm, to generate some heat, and notice that the 'vanilla' and boozy 'plum' notes suddenly reappear (but not as prominently as before). Although it’s still early days, Red Aoud wins hands down here! I was pretty much getting a bit tired of Montale’s offerings but this one has rejuvenated my interest in this house. It’s now definitely in my top three favourite Montales (along with Black Aoud and Aoud Flowers). Bravo!
    Last edited by Trebor; 17th December 2007 at 10:33 PM.

Default Re: Just received some Montale samples, including Red Aoud

Well, now you've got me itching to try that Red Aoud. Where did you get your sample from?

Quote Originally Posted by aljinnie View Post
    Well, now you've got me itching to try that Red Aoud. Where did you get your sample from?
    I got it directly from the Paris store. I find it one of the most distinctive offerings from the Aoud line - it isn't as samey as some of the earlier Aoud offerings.

Banned

That's it! I couldn't figure out what the top notes of Red Aoud smelled like. It's the smell of a ripe plum with a small hint of aoud. MmmmmmMmmMmmmmmm

Thanks for the great reviews, I DEFINITELY need to get a full bottle of red aoud...
    Last edited by teger; 17th December 2007 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    That's it! I couldn't figure out what the top notes of Red Aoud smelled like. It's the smell of a ripe plum with a small hint of aoud. MmmmmmMmmMmmmmmm

Thanks for the great reviews, I DEFINITELY need to get a full bottle of red aoud...
    Hey, I'm glad someone's confirmed the plum note - it was much too early for me to reach a conclusion about that.

Btw, NEoTY26, I'm amazed at your current faves - half of these I have in my wardrobe. And a fellow admirer of Oyedo as well! Man, that's rare!
    Last edited by Trebor; 17th December 2007 at 10:58 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Hey, I'm glad someone's confirmed the plum note - it was much too early for me to reach a conclusion about that.

Btw, NEoTY26, I'm amazed at your current faves - half of these I have in my wardrobe. And a fellow admirer of Oyedo as well! Man, that's rare!
    Yes, the plum note is there.. but on me it tones down rather quickly to the floral notes with a light hint of vanilla as your review points out. There is also something in there which is harsh to my nose, but thankfully it isn't very prominent.. I'm thinking it might be the combination of floral + aoud?

And yes. I LOVE oyedo. Take the sweetest grapefruit you can find then inject it with even more sugary goodness, then you have oyedo.
    Last edited by teger; 17th December 2007 at 11:14 PM.

Oyedo is the only citrus scent that's truly satisfied me, without turning during the drydown. I plan to wear it a lot, next summer.

Yes, there is a harshness in the overall composition of Red Aoud but I find this 'edginess' far more interesting than the almost buttery Velvet Aoud. I'm also finally happy that I've found a scent with a dominant plum note that's not tame. The plum note stays on my skin for quite a while but, as you mentioned, it does die down after the initial blast. The plum and oud combo is definitely the most attractive aspect of this composition, for me.

Can one order samples from the Paris store? Or did the samples come with a purchase? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascella View Post
    Can one order samples from the Paris store? Or did the samples come with a purchase? Thx.
    I've asked for samples twice from them and, on both occasions, received (more or less) what I requested.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    I've asked for samples twice from them and, on both occasions, received (more or less) what I requested.
    Did you call them? Or could they be reached by email as well? Tks!

So far, e-mail: montaleparfums@hotmail.com

I intend to phone them for future purchases, though.

Great, thanks! I always get nervous trying to spell the address over the phone .