Code of Conduct

Default Platinum Egoiste drydown?

Hi all,

I've got a slowly revolving door of signature scent, and after running the gamut across all different sorts of fragrances, I find myself constantly coming back to PE. My only problem with PE, the thing that keeps me constantly searching for other frags, are the topnotes. I find PE much too sharp and synthetic when first applied -- it's the basenotes that I really love. I've actually resorted to applying PE an hour in advance before I go out. Since it seems that Chanels can sometimes smell really different on different people, I'll make a note here that on me, the PE drydown smells dry, woody, and quite sweet, with a tinge of something metallic. The part of PE I love most is the smell that remains many hours after you first applied, and lingers in your clothes the next day, etc. I've searched through previous PE threads on this forum, and was really surprised to find that people often tend to like the topnotes, but dislike the drydown!

Anyway, to the actual question: Are there any frags out there that smell similar to just the PE drydown? Or perhaps someone could tell me precisely which notes in the PE drydown I'm probably fancying? I've been a perfume fan for quite some time, but I've yet to reach the stage where I can actually identify individual notes.

Thanks!

Post Re: Platinum Egoiste drydown?

On the top of this frag. one does get a rush of lavender, and geranium. That can be a little off putting to some. On the dry down what your probably smelling are the wood's in this frag. Mostly I get the Vetiver, and cedar wood.Top notes are some what fleeting any way, so if you like the dry down of this frag. that's a small price to pay. I have several fragrances that I wear strictly for the heart, and base. If you can get beyond the opening of this fragrance wear it.

Default Re: Platinum Egoiste drydown?

I'm the same way with PE. I can't name the basenotes, but I really dislike the sharp top notes. It truly is much better on the dry down.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

Try Paco XS. It has different topnotes but I find the drydown to be similar to PE.
    Last edited by teflondog; 18th December 2007 at 01:19 AM.

I've always thought that Green Valley by Creed was a friendlier, less harsh "alternative" to Platinum Egoiste (not saying they are twins or anything). Give it a whirl, you may agree!

for another modern take on the fougere...give Narcisso Rodriguez a chance
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

I just ordered Narsico. Can't wait to try it.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

On my skin, EP's drydown turns very musky and very dirty, with hints of civet, and i love it.

I haven't smelled Platinum Egoiste in a while, but what I noticed about it was a note that turned out to be sandalwood. I didn't think I liked sandalwood at the time so it put me off. Then I got a bottle of Tam Dao blind and it changed my mind. After that I loved sandalwood in anything. You should try Tam Dao, it's probably got a lot of what you like about the base of PE. Also try Creed Himalaya or Paco XS.

ok, so i just bought a bottle of PE after not having it for about a year - I LOVE THIS STUFF!

i think its as close as i'll ever get to that one fail proof, appropriate for any occasion, but still oozes class, complexity, and good taste scent.

actually i remember why i didn't rebuy it. i wanted to find something a bit more obscure and off the beaten path. i bought Terre d'Hermes, which is all of those things, at least in the area that i live in, small conservative, college town in texas where cool water, a&f fierce, aqua di gio, mania and the like are the norm.

i think PE has a certain irony mainly in the fact that its been out for almost 15 years. i have friends in austin, who are scent elitist and like talking about how they have the latest tom ford or frederic malle or something avante guard and austere that no one else has. i mean i'm a scent snob in every sense of the word too, but there's something so neat about wearing something thats older, mainstream and is still as classy and enjoyable as the day it was first released. i feel like i trump them all wearing a scent that was created when i was at the mere age of 8. i like that at times it seems like a forgotten treasure.

like everyone says, sillage is like a bomb. if i'm wearing a t-shirt and jeans, i only spritz one spray on my chest and thats all i need for the day. i can smell it on myself hour later. the other day i used three and it was too overwhelming.

only downside is the stinging metallic beginning, but like everyone else said, its a small price to pay for the treasure that settles in an hour later.

PE is a standard for me and pretty much a classic.
    Last edited by sbbbjm; 20th December 2007 at 11:18 PM.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I'll definitely give 'em all a try first chance I get!