Code of Conduct

Thread: not a fecal fan

Post Thanks / Like

Default not a fecal fan

i just decided to try Kouros again today...i have a 1 0z tester and i decided to give it a shot after i had worked out today since i read that clean sweat brings out the beauty of this one, but i have to disagree...i caught a whiff of, pardon my language, crap...pure crap. I kept looking around for this smell, i even checked my shoe, but no...it was me. Has anyone else had such a profound fecal note come out in this one. I have read previous threads that say urine or urinal cake, but this was stupid.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: not a fecal fan

I've never had anything like that with Kouros. However, I was given a swipe of some pure 'oud the other day and, no joke, it smelled just like a petting zoo, crap and all.

I have heard people talk of scents smelling like crap, but this one was the real deal.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 18th December 2007 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    You are not your perfume.

Kouros, from what I hear contains a healthy dose of civet (I'm very sure synthetic). It's definitely not for everyone. Clean is NOT how one would describe this scent--definitely dirty and animalic, and I kid you not, it's definitely an attractant!
    Last edited by iMaverick; 18th December 2007 at 01:33 AM.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

For me I noticed a dryer sheet smell in Kouros. I have owned the original, fraicheur, sport and have only noticed the dryer sheet smell in the original. So for me it smells mostly like clean laundry. I have never gotten urine or the dirty sex vibe. I do notice a musk and light incense in the back ground of its drydown too. I might add it again if I could find a small travel size.

LOL! Yeah, I get the dryer sheet thing in the beginning, but it doesn't stay well behaved on me. Sweat, a bit of that urinal cake, and some animal. A very long time ago, I remember someone wearing it smelled like red onions on him! Wow, it's definitely all about the person I suppose.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

In bathroom code:

Kouros= #1
    Kouros Cologne Sport= #2

Kouros (which I love, though rarely wear) can have a bit of a urine feel because of its phenolic honey notes. Kouros Cologne Sport can have a bit of a fecal smell because of its indolic jasmine notes. Kouros Cologne Sport's fecal notes aren't strong, but they remind me a bit of the smell of dried horse manure-- not all that bad when dried and in the context of country air. Also there's supposed to be some ambergris notes in the Sport version which add even more dirt-- yet the clean notes are ramped up as well. Kouros Cologne Sport is even more of a dichotomy than original Kouros!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never smelled Kouros, but civet can come across as slightly fecal.
    Usually uric smells are more a problem for me: SMN's Spanish Leather is very much unwashed men's bathroom to my nose.

To me, I when I need a fecal fix ( ) I look for tuberose, jasmine, bergamot and lily notes. You know, the white flower thing. Kouros does the bergamot thing very well, but if you really want to smell indoles, try the EdP of Jicky or better yet, Nuit Noir.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th December 2007 at 02:57 AM.

5hit smell can be modified to smell heavenly, just like a nice smell - Strawberry - can be literally turned into a garbage odour. It all depends on the parfumer's skill in blending these olfactory resources.

Its funny, a year ago Kouros is like the King of scent here at BN, now people are starting to realize this perfume "is the 5hit"!

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour View Post
    5hit smell can be modified to smell heavenly, just like a nice smell - Strawberry - can be literally turned into a garbage odour. It all depends on the parfumer's skill in blending these olfactory resources.

Its funny, a year ago Kouros is like the King of scent here at BN, now people are starting to realize this perfume "is the 5hit"!
    The Five Hit? Genius, pure genius.

Fecal scents are the sh*t.

I love Kouros.

Tough i understand why some people are fickle about fecal.
    Last edited by knightowl; 19th December 2007 at 07:16 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Sic transit gloria mundi
    Former 80-s hit (and Fifi awarded fragrance) is mislabeled like a shit right now.
    what a pity!

Really, Kouros should be The Initiation Fragrance for men in our urban jungles, lacking of lions to be killed with a purpose to prove their men`s manliness and courage.
    Those who can wear Kouros YSL proudly for a week and find some beauty in it - are men, and those who cannot stand it - are still boys (and has no permission to get married).

Sorry, I have no intentions to suffer anyone.
    I just found this thread (and a lot of other threads about fecals) so funny!

It`s like a great painting\sculpture\book of its time. It has no need to prove itself to be good. It was made for its time and its men. It`s shining by its glory no matter what size, color and author it is.
    If I met some scents that been popular some times ago, I just trying to grow up to understand WHY? WHAT IS THE REASON OF ITS POPULARITY?

Somehow the topic `clean vs fecal scents` remind me of art question `what is better: pastoral or battle pictures?`
    Sorry again, guys.
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Sic transit gloria mundi
    Former 80-s hit (and Fifi awarded fragrance) is mislabeled like a shit right now.
    what a pity!

Really, Kouros should be The Initiation Fragrance for men in our urban jungles, lacking of lions to be killed with a purpose to prove their men`s manliness and courage.
    Those who can wear Kouros YSL proudly for a week and find some beauty in it - are men, and those who cannot stand it - are still boys (and has no permission to get married).
    That reminds me of this night last year I was in a club bathroom and I was going to wash my hands-- all around the sinks, the valet had set about forty bottles of cologne for use. Almost everything was like Armani, CK, Kenneth Cole stuff, yet there it was... Kouros. I grabbed the Kouros and turned to the other five or six dudes in the restroom and got up on my (slightly drunken) soapbox about how THIS was the stuff that gets babies made and proceeded to give myself a few heavy sprays of it. It was kind of funny-- I bet the other guys in the restroom were like "WTF?", but I had to do my duty as a Basenoter.

The Kouros seemed to work pretty well-- I had a decent amount of attention from girls that night.

Post Thanks / Like

A fellow basenoter recently stated that Creed's private collection Bois de Santal had a fecal note in it, which has since detered me from wearing it much. I'm sure the problem is in my head...

I find BdS to have a very smooth buttery sandalwood quality, but I really don't smell any human or animal poop in there. It makes me wonder if a Creed perfumer would actually include something that literally smelled like crap in one of his masterpieces... My nose has become sensitive in my fragrance explorations, and I'd like to think that if a perfumer included a note, that it would have been meant to be smelled. Why would you want a subtle poop note?

Can someone just reassure me that there is no crap in my my Bois de Santal so I can start wearing it again?!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    Sic transit gloria mundi
    what a pity! [...]
    Sorry again, guys.
    No need to apologize, my friend. It's not just funny - it's indeed hilarious! Gloria mundi - in this case it's a rather limited world. Kouros is still a top seller in Europe, and nowhere outside the US has Kouros been discussed as something particularly out of the ordinary, or weird! New is that such nonsense has found it's way into NYT (Meow Mix, Oct 21, 07) where C. Burr simply calls it unwearable, and the news seems to have spread. In support for this thesis Burr quotes the "hot, ripe smell of a French trucker’s Jockey shorts after a muggy day on the A51".

Neither does it help nor could it flatter Maitre Parfumeur Pierre Bourdon decorating him with two(!) stars for craftsmanship. Who does Burr (or anybody) think he is? I am not really interested in learning how he became an expert in the specific smell of truckers' underwear, or even French versions of it. But such knowledge cannot possibly suffice to qualify him to discuss men's perfumes in something like an expert's position. What he said about Chanel No 5 doesn't either:"... it's the only feminine fragrance I don't wear, and only because it is just too well known. But sometimes I sneak some on a forearm. (Randomhouse, perhaps in 2006). Remains to hope he will not proclaim this as part of the new aesthetics for the 21st century while still with NYT. It might be the sign of some sort of decadence, I guess. A little premature for North America, or what famous communists, dead for a while now, had always predicted to happen...

Just kidding, I guess. More than likely there will be the same thread in three to six months from now. Only the name will be different.
    Last edited by narcus; 19th December 2007 at 09:13 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    That reminds me of this night last year I was in a club bathroom and I was going to wash my hands-- all around the sinks, the valet had set about forty bottles of cologne for use. Almost everything was like Armani, CK, Kenneth Cole stuff, yet there it was... Kouros. I grabbed the Kouros and turned to the other five or six dudes in the restroom and got up on my (slightly drunken) soapbox about how THIS was the stuff that gets babies made and proceeded to give myself a few heavy sprays of it. It was kind of funny-- I bet the other guys in the restroom were like "WTF?", but I had to do my duty as a Basenoter.

The Kouros seemed to work pretty well-- I had a decent amount of attention from girls that night.
    That`s true!
    I made some article about Kouros a week ago, and was sniffing it from my wrist all the evening, and writing bit by bit. And my other wrist was covered by newest and fashionable Tom Ford Oud Wood (I like the agarwood smell and just wanted to find out - do I need it or not?)
    OK, I made my article and went to sleep.
    Guess what? My wife isn`t a perfumaniac (hey, but she knows about vetiver, leather, rose, agarwood and sandalwood!) but she told me: - Dear, you wearing one good scent and one bad. Where are they on you?
    I stretch my wrists to her to find out what she will like - and blind test was won by Kouros, and Tom Ford was dismissed as she does not like it at all!
    And I could not help but agree with my wife!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by narcus View Post
    No need to apologize, my friend. It's not just funny - it's indeed hilarious! Gloria mundi - in this case it's a rather limited world. Kouros is still a top seller in Europe, and nowhere outside the US has Kouros been discussed as something particularly out of the ordinary, or weird! New is that such nonsense has found it's way into NYT (Meow Mix, Oct 21, 07) where C. Burr simply calls it unwearable, and the news seems to have spread. In support for this thesis Burr quotes the "hot, ripe smell of a French trucker’s Jockey shorts after a muggy day on the A51".

Neither does it help nor could it flatter Maitre Parfumeur Pierre Bourdon decorating him with two(!) stars for craftsmanship. Who does Burr (or anybody) think he is? I am not really interested in learning how he became an expert in the specific smell of truckers' underwear, or even French versions of it. But such knowledge cannot possibly suffice to qualify him to discuss men's perfumes in something like an expert's position. Just kidding, I guess. More than likely there will be the same thread in three to six months from now. Only the named will be different !
    I like your ironic style, Narcus!
    Especially the underwear expert part ))

Well, let`s think that C. Burr is working hard to change the world to the better one - Oh, Beautiful New World (as someone producing 20-100 out of 800 new fragrances a year would like to see it)! )
    The sooner they changes others habits, the more of new stuff they could sell
    Last edited by moon_fish; 19th December 2007 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: not a fecal fan

I love fecal scents!

Roflmao!!

Quote Originally Posted by hummer View Post
    I love fecal scents!
    It's back to the Just Starting Out forum for me! I'm not ready for this.

shit man, feces is the shit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by somethinpositiv View Post
    shit man, feces is the shit
    it 's more than that, I love raunchy viril sweaty odors and would love to find them in scents.
    Last edited by hummer; 19th December 2007 at 07:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm happy I get the honey in this and not the poop.