Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What would Werther (from Goethe's work) wear?

This is the question I have been wanting to ask, but forgot to ask. So, today's the day. I love this work by Goethe, it represents some sides and corners of me. I like its use of language, narration, and how sad and sorrowful the young Werther was. I have personally suffered the love triangle, yeah, so sad, I know.

Well, let's get to the point and sorry for my rambling thought. I am wondering what scent would suit a hopeless romantic like Werther?

For me, it's ZINO even though I haven't yet tried it, not even once. The bottle just suits the image of Werther.

Okay, next...

Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What would Werther (from Goethe's work) wear?

Hm. I don't want to offend you, KiatBkk, but I for myself can't stand the figure of Werther anymore. There were times in my youth - ten years ago (I'm 24 right now) - when I felt congenial with Werther. Now it's a different viewpoint. In fact, I've come to object this kind of self-indulgent sadness, inaction, denying of life. (But don't think of me as a fan of vitalism either!)

We'd have to find a "weltschmerz"-fragrance. Something utterly dedicated to death.

Voleur de Roses (L'Artisan Parfumeur)
    No. 88 (Czech & Speake)
    Noir pices (Frdric Malle)
    Mitsouko (Guerlain)

I'm not satisfied with that list. All of the fragrances named above do contain qualities that make them far stronger than Werther!

- - -

Looking out of the window. It's Werther-weather today... Dammit!

Kölnisch Wasser by Farina Gegenüber was around during his creation, perhaps he would have enjoyed its simplicity.
    And while gracing the stage of the Palais Garnier, his 1892 incarnation might have enjoyed a splash of Fougère Royale by Houbigant.
    A contemporary Werther might be attracted to the cold and romantic notes in Gris Clair.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 18th December 2007 at 06:50 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hmmm... Herms Bel Ami?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat clum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Seneca

Méchant Loup, mein freund -- yes, the ultimate melancholia inducer.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 18th December 2007 at 06:28 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Maybe Ungaro III, but I think even Black Orchid comes to mind - though I don't feel sad when wearing either, they both do bring about a more brooding and contemplative mood for me.
    "Faites des btises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Post Thanks / Like

Waiting for The_Good_Life to come read this and reply my thread. I have seen that he had studied and taught Goethe's works.

Thanks for the above comments, lovely indeed.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

From the period: Not 4711 which was a no-name to those who didn't recognize it as a Farina fake even then. Cologne's first and most famous Eau de Johann Maria Farina would have been a more likely choice for Werther (daily hygiene / face & body splash) at least in periods when he could afford such luxuries. To wear any perfume the way men do nowadays would have been rather unusual for an ordinary citizen and young academic at Goethe's time. Goethe himself was a regular customer of Farina EdC. That is well documented. But then Goethe's status raised to that of a nobleman.

If I was to pick a perfume for Werther (or Tschaikowsky, btw) from today's supply, I would pick L'Heure Bleue. Vol de Nuit (night flight) wouldn^'t be far from it. It has been created to honor a French pilot whose plain was lost over north African territory. It is a very melancholic fragrance indeed.
    Last edited by narcus; 19th December 2007 at 09:56 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Post Thanks / Like

Although consumed by Weltschmerz, I think Werther would NOT be overt about his edgier, more reflexive or more conflicting side, so he would choose a classic, clean, no- nonsense Eau de Cologne style citrus fragrance (although he is the polar opposite of anything classic), however, this Eau de Cologne has to be with a twist, with a dry down a touch too strong and too provocative for the traditional Eau de Cologne, as in the seemingly very classic Le Vainquer by Rance, which ends in an unexpectedly evocative, carnal yet at the same time spiritual, romantic and surprising musky notes.