Code of Conduct

Default Luscious Cargo - a bit miffed

Way back in the middle of November, my husband ordered the solid Fracas compact from Luscious Cargo for me as a Christmas present. I received an email confirming the purchase, with a purchase order number, and have heard nothing since. I've emailed them about a dozen times via their website and have never received a reply. I have telephoned them today (all I get is an answering machine), and have left 2 messages asking them to call me back.

Still nothing.

I am livid now, because this is extremely poor customer service.

Has anyone else had any dealings with them, and if so, do you have any secret methods of contacting an ACTUAL HUMAN BEING?

Frustrated beyond belief,
    Clemmie
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Blog Entries

Default Re: Luscious Cargo - a bit miffed

Hi Clemmie,

Renee has posted a thread about them:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197596
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

About a year ago, we had difficulties on POL-
    I tried to get them addressed- had some luck, after a lot of work.
    Sad that it wasn't permanent...

Quote Originally Posted by DeeOlive View Post
    Hi Clemmie,

Renee has posted a thread about them:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=197596
    Thanks for that DeeOlive. Doesn't look good. :-(
    Bill Cosby

I had a horrible experience with the owner once, didn't receive my order and she got very abusive, blaming me. She said she shipped another one, but no confirmation and no package. I finally got one about two months later because I kept harassing her until I did. I'm not the only one this happened to. I thought about getting the Fracas compact for my SIL, but since it was on that website, I passed. NO WAY would I ever shop there again.

But you are ordering from overseas and it's Christmas, so she might have sent it and it's being held up in postal delays and red tape. It's hard to say until you get a hold of her and she's not very honest, so... if you can cancel your order, maybe you can try that if it's on backorder or something. I know MUA'ers were talking about it.
    Last edited by beachroses; 18th December 2007 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    I had a horrible experience with the owner once, didn't receive my order and she got very abusive, blaming me. She said she shipped another one, but no confirmation and no package. I finally got one about two months later because I kept harassing her until I did. I'm not the only one this happened to. I thought about getting the Fracas compact for my SIL, but since it was on that website, I passed. NO WAY would I ever shop there again. Is there a way to cancel your order? She probably didn't have it in stock, I saw MUA'ers talking about ordering it, too. I'm thinking it was backordered and instead of just informing people and losing sales, she's blowing you off until she gets more, whether you get it for Christmas or not. I hope you do.

When people know fully well that other people have repeated problems with a company and jump on threads claiming they didn't, that's not helpful at all. It's consistency that's important and we should all care when customers get screwed over and over. Some people had to call their credit card companies to get their money back from her.
    My husband paid for it on his DEBIT card, so he can't even cancel the payment. He's going to check with his bank manager and see if there's anything he can do. He doesn't even know if the money has actually been taken, so he'll need to check that (he can't do his banking online at the moment). I just wish I'd known how bad they were before placing the order. I had no idea they were so bad. I would love to cancel the order, but since I never get a response to my emails or my telephone messages, I can't really do anything. All I want is to get an idea of when it will be shipped. I don't even care if it won't be shipped until next Easter, so long as I KNOW. It's just trying to communicate with a black hole that's bothering. me

I'd be inclined to say that if this is the 'norm' for this retailer, there ought to be some kind of Basenotes Blacklist forum specifically for this kind of thing, where people can go to check things out before handing over their dosh and trusting that their goods will arrive.
    --------------------------------------
    I had a horrible experience with the owner once, didn't receive my order and she got very abusive, blaming me. She said she shipped another one, but no confirmation and no package. I finally got one about two months later because I kept harassing her until I did. I'm not the only one this happened to. I thought about getting the Fracas compact for my SIL, but since it was on that website, I passed. NO WAY would I ever shop there again.

But you are ordering from overseas and it's Christmas, so she might have sent it and it's being held up in postal delays and red tape. It's hard to say until you get a hold of her and she's not very honest, so... if you can cancel your order, maybe you can try that if it's on backorder or something. I know MUA'ers were talking about it.
    I don't actually mind how long it's likely to take, I'd just like to hear from them, letting me know. It's the total lack of communication from their end (other than the confirmation email with purchase order number) that I find the most worrying. I was not told this item was on back order. My one and only email says it's 'in stock', but I've received no shipping notice. Grr! Just grrr!!!
    Last edited by Clemmie; 18th December 2007 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

There has been a lot of discussion about their (her?) erratic customer service on many of the perfume sites. I ordered once - years ago - and received excellent service. But apparently, I lucked out. Many people have negative things to say of their experiences with this online company. I'd stay away.

I like Marcy (the owner) but she's so full of shit it's comin out of her ears.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th December 2007 at 10:48 PM.

I don't know that she's ever stolen money from anyone, just has a bad habit of charging people for things not in stock, forcing them to wait months, doesn't answer emails or phones. I saw one person did have a hard time collecting her refund for a leaky bottle, though, so she called the credit card company and they got it back for her. In general, it's *never* a good idea to use a debit card unless it's one like I have (also a Visa card) but I never use it, either. I asked about the compact for you over on the MUA board, but no answers yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I like Marcy (the owner) but she's so full of shit it's comin out of her ears.
    Why would you like someone who mistreats people and isn't honest? Because she's only hurt others and not you? That was an odd thing to say here. If you know her, maybe you can clue someone in on how to contact her about this order, since it's a Christmas gift and she's blowing off every email they sent. That's terrible to do to people on Christmas, how bad can a store get?
    Last edited by beachroses; 18th December 2007 at 11:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Why would you like someone who mistreats people and isn't honest? Because she's only hurt others and not you? That was an odd thing to say here. If you know her, maybe you can clue someone in on how to contact her about this order, since it's a Christmas gift and she's blowing off every email they sent. That's terrible to do to people on Christmas, how bad can a store get?
    "Full of shit" implies that you might want to do business somewhere else.

And yeah, I do like her, but I don't do a lot of business with her.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th December 2007 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Gotcha.

I am posting rather guiltily here, because I think I may have inadvertently influenced Clemmie to order that Fracas compact...I posted the link.
    I will say that even though I had a dead end experience with them once, (she never charged my card for my cancelled order, but I never heard a confirmation either) I went ahead and ordered the Fracas.
    I will report that I did receive the Fracas in a fairly reasonable time frame with LOTS of extras samples, a beautifully scented package, a stick of incense and candy and a note of apology for my previous experience.

I think it is safe to say that Luscious Cargo is inconsistent. And that does make for bad business. She is probably a sweetie, as Pluran mentions, but maybe not very organized.

I'm sorry about your experience Clemmie.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Just wanted to weigh-in here because I'm still pissed about my experience with L.C.

A year or two ago, I ordered some stuff from them. I also had a lot of difficulty getting in touch with someone when it was apparent that my order was late. At the time, I just wanted a reply from someone saying the order was backordered or whatever. I really didn't care about a delay, I just wanted to be informed about what was happening with the order. But no one ever responded to the several emails I sent.

I forget the outcome now -- not sure if I received the package and sent it back out of pure spite or if they cancelled it and never notified me. Either way, I didn't lose any money. I just remember how frustrating it was and that I vowed never to order from them again.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    She is probably a sweetie, as Pluran mentions, but maybe not very organized.
    Give us a break.
    Last edited by beachroses; 19th December 2007 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    I am posting rather guiltily here, because I think I may have inadvertently influenced Clemmie to order that Fracas compact...I posted the link.
    I will say that even though I had a dead end experience with them once, (she never charged my card for my cancelled order, but I never heard a confirmation either) I went ahead and ordered the Fracas.
    I will report that I did receive the Fracas in a fairly reasonable time frame with LOTS of extras samples, a beautifully scented package, a stick of incense and candy and a note of apology for my previous experience.

I think it is safe to say that Luscious Cargo is inconsistent. And that does make for bad business. She is probably a sweetie, as Pluran mentions, but maybe not very organized.

I'm sorry about your experience Clemmie.
    Please don't blame yourself. I should have done some investigating first - and I have ordered from them in the past myself and received the goods (albeit so slowly I'd forgotten I'd even ordered from them, but that was only some cheap samples). I shall be persistent. If you received yours, I guess that bodes well doesn't it? Being in the UK will slow things down somewhat anyway. It's just the total lack of communication that bugs me.
    I don't know that she's ever stolen money from anyone, just has a bad habit of charging people for things not in stock, forcing them to wait months, doesn't answer emails or phones. I saw one person did have a hard time collecting her refund for a leaky bottle, though, so she called the credit card company and they got it back for her. In general, it's *never* a good idea to use a debit card unless it's one like I have (also a Visa card) but I never use it, either. I asked about the compact for you over on the MUA board, but no answers yet.

Thank you for trying anyway, I appreciate that.
    Well, I've just written to her again. Via that damn website link. I think I'll just plug a reminder into my calendar to write to her every morning until she damn well responds or sends the perfume. Blech.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 19th December 2007 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Bill Cosby

Domain registration info:

Marcy Brinegar - mbmconsult (at) adelphia dot net

Dunno if it's current.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 19th December 2007 at 09:48 PM.

I wrote again, with the subject header IS THERE ANYBODY THERE? AT ALL? and worded my email very strongly, telling them they would hear from me every day until I got a response.

Wonder of wonders, I received an extremely apologetic email yesterday from Marcy. Has been out of state on family business (but that's no excuse - her words, not mine), and since she is the only one capable of doing international orders, my order was left in the 'Marcy file' while she was away. It has been shipped today, USPS Global Express. It still won't make Christmas, but I should have it late next week.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. After this debacle, it's unlikely I will order from them again. I think what I may do, for the good of anyone else unwittingly finding themselves in my position, is send them some constructive feedback about customer relations. It may well fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes), but if we don't try, we change nothing. I'm a mystery shopper, and giving feedback on service (or lack of) is second nature to me. Bottom line: communicate with your customer - at the very least. And if you really want to excel, make your customer feel like they're the most important person in the world. Treat them nice and they'll stay with you and praise you to the skies. And there is no better (or cheaper) marketing than the word-of-mouth kind. Likewise, a business can be totally ruined by the power of word of mouth (or in this case, keyboard).

Shame. It's not hard really is it?
    Bill Cosby

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    It's not hard really is it?
    Duh!

For all those here who occasionally fantasize about what it would be like to own a boutique, this is just dumbfounding. It's like, she's done all the hard parts in having contracted with sources and setting up a shop and website, the follow-through should be the easy part. And then you have near-saints like our dear maisonstinky who had to close up shop because his location wasn't driving traffic, but whose customer service was, well, you could just feel the love.

Keeping my fingers crossed for speedy delivery and a nice overall resolution (tons of samples? extra bottle?) of your quandary.

I wrote again, with the subject header IS THERE ANYBODY THERE? AT ALL? and worded my email very strongly, telling them they would hear from me every day until I got a response.

Wonder of wonders, I received an extremely apologetic email yesterday from Marcy. Has been out of state on family business (but that's no excuse - her words, not mine), and since she is the only one capable of doing international orders, my order was left in the 'Marcy file' while she was away. It has been shipped today, USPS Global Express. It still won't make Christmas, but I should have it late next week.

Thanks everyone for your feedback. After this debacle, it's unlikely I will order from them again. I think what I may do, for the good of anyone else unwittingly finding themselves in my position, is send them some constructive feedback about customer relations. It may well fall on deaf ears (or blind eyes), but if we don't try, we change nothing. I'm a mystery shopper, and giving feedback on service (or lack of) is second nature to me. Bottom line: communicate with your customer - at the very least. And if you really want to excel, make your customer feel like they're the most important person in the world. Treat them nice and they'll stay with you and praise you to the skies. And there is no better (or cheaper) marketing than the word-of-mouth kind. Likewise, a business can be totally ruined by the power of word of mouth (or in this case, keyboard).

Shame. It's not hard really is it?
    Bill Cosby