Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heritage has been reformulated!

Today I went to my local Douglas-Shop and found the new 100 ml Heritage EdT boxes on the shelves next to the older 50 ml EdT boxes. I compared both ingredients-lists side by side and was surprised that no oakmoss and even no treemoss (but something which is called BHT) was mentioned on the new boxes. No moss at all!! Unfortunately I couldnīt test the new Heritage because the tester was an old one, so letīs hope and pray to god they did a good job!!

BTW, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Habit Rouge also have new boxes and maybe are reformulated, too.......
    And again, both tester were older ones, but I was surprised to see treemoss listed on the new MdM boxes.

Guerlain, Guerlain, what are you doing??

Default Re: Heritage has been reformulated!

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Today I went to my local Douglas-Shop and found the new 100 ml Heritage EdT boxes on the shelves next to the older 50 ml EdT boxes. I compared both ingredients-lists side by side and was surprised that no oakmoss and even no treemoss (but something which is called BHT) was mentioned on the new boxes. No moss at all!! Unfortunately I couldnīt test the new Heritage because the tester was an old one, so letīs hope and pray to god they did a good job!!

BTW, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Habit Rouge also have new boxes and maybe are reformulated, too.......
    And again, both tester were older ones, but I was surprised to see treemoss listed on the new MdM boxes.

Guerlain, Guerlain, what are you doing??
    Is the new MDM box you saw a plain gold box with black text?
    --------------------------------------

Further to my previous post,did it resemble this?

Thanks
    Last edited by Latch35; 19th December 2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Thanks / Like

Aha - good work sables. That explains the recent withdrawals and discontinuation panic - and makes me feel a lot better about my panic buys (I have um...a good supply of Heritage )
    The formulations are now getting as complicated as Vetiver.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I saw the new Heritage boxes at Fenwick, over a week ago. However, I have yet to see the EDP in the new boxes (they still had a couple of the older boxes on their shelves, although I get the feeling they won't re-stock).

I sampled Heritage at Neiman Marcus yesterday, and hated it.
    For all the love it gets, I wonder if it was the reformulated version,
    and badly done.

Post Thanks / Like

I was wondering recently if there was a reformulation of the reformulation of Guerlain Vetiver. I remember owning a bottle about three years ago and I got rid of it because it was just too strong. It would last throughout the day and well into the next morning. My current bottle is the total opposite, very light and only lasts about three to four hours. Any other similar experiences with this one?
    You are not your perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

Gentlemen, I say this in fun, and just as your fellow member, but when I think of reformulation questions and now reformulation of reformulation questions, I think this way madness lies.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Everything has been reformulated. Vetiver is a shadow of its past. Heritage, too. I find that the only Guerlains that I can still enjoy are Habit Rouge, Shalimar, Jicky and Mitsouko.

Can someone please describe the various boxes so that we can tell immediately which is old and which is new of the different fragrances? I noticed two different Habit Rouge and Heritage boxes at my local House of Fraser, and would like to buy the older ones...

Thanks!

Guerlain has very recently reboxed its products. The new boxes look like this:

The old boxes look like this:

The old Héritage box look like this:

Quote Originally Posted by JanAlways View Post
    Can someone please describe the various boxes so that we can tell immediately which is old and which is new of the different fragrances? I noticed two different Habit Rouge and Heritage boxes at my local House of Fraser, and would like to buy the older ones...

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Guerlain View Post
    Guerlain has very recently reboxed its products. The new boxes look like this:
    Thank you for posting the pics! Do you know who has worked on these reformulations, was it again Edouard Flechier (I like his new Mitsouko a lot, itīs better than the stuff they sold before, IMO), or was it Jean-Paul Guerlain himself? Itīs hard to imagine him standing aside while someone (Flechier?) is reworking his masterpieces!

do you think the change in packaging corresponds necessarily to a formulation change ?
    you wrote that tree or oakmoss appear in the ingredients but is it in full word or is it coded , i've never seen it written ?

i totally agree with you concerning Mitsouko; to me it's like a second birth

i had seen the new packaging fot Mitsouko and Mouchoir de Monsieur but not yet for Heritage
    i 'll have to go to one of their boutiques to check all this

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by germanomio View Post
    do you think the change in packaging corresponds necessarily to a formulation change ?
    you wrote that tree or oakmoss appear in the ingredients but is it in full word or is it coded , i've never seen it written ?
    I hope and donīt think itīs necessarily so, but on the new Heritage boxes no oakmoss and no treemoss are mentioned. On the older boxes they appear in full words and even on the new boxes of Mitsouko and Mouchoir de Monsieur treemoss is listed in full word, so why should it be coded on the new Heritage?

The topic of reformulation can be tiresome because no one really knows anything factually. I know that my old (orange) Heritage box says both Tree moss and Oak moss in full words. I don't know anything about them being reformulated or not, neither by whom if so.

Some people like reformulated versions, some hate them. I am one of those that love all versions of Vetiver, for example. They are to me like different variations of a theme - impossible to tell which one i like the most. "Old" is not necessarily "better" for me...

when i said i had not seen it wrotten i meant rather that i had noy noticed it
    i trust you

i will have a look at Guerlain in Paris to see if the new heritage is there

Post Thanks / Like

The topic of reformulation can be tiresome because no one really knows anything factually. I know that my old (orange) Heritage box says both Tree moss and Oak moss in full words. I don't know anything about them being reformulated or not, neither by whom if so.

Some people like reformulated versions, some hate them. I am one of those that love all versions of Vetiver, for example. They are to me like different variations of a theme - impossible to tell which one i like the most. "Old" is not necessarily "better" for me...
    Ulrik, you are right. We should not always assume that new is worse, for example I prefer the newer version of Habit Rouge, partly because the old one sometimes gives me headaches but also because there is a new definition to the notes and accord which seem to slip into each other in a way I prefer. However, I can clearly smell the difference from old to less old heritage (orange with heritage in the middle to red with gold band on the boxes). The moss is noticeably stronger in the older one. The drydowns are different, the newer one lasts longer holding the heritage accord, while the older one is richer but breaks down quicker. The older has more weight and body. I prefer it.

I think that reformulations always have and always will happen due to availability of ingredients/regulations/fashion trends. Guerlain had a Vetiver infusion they sold in Mexico before they made the formulation we think of as the first (from your film Ulrik). If you like a formulation, you need to buy it now because sooner or later it will change.

Also consider this hypothesis: perfumery used to be divided into folk perfumery which involved using local ingredients and high perfumery which meant that rich people had access to the best ingredients from around the world. Nowadays there are lots of rich people who all "want a bit" and global wealth discrepancies make this possible. The supplies of natural products cannot keep up so even without regulations a switch to synthetics is inevitable - and indeed desirable for the industry, which can then redefine luxury as using the rare stuff. Normal rich people (on a worldwide index) buy expensive synthetic stuff and the super rich buy even more expensive natural and synthetic stuff for a premium.

I know Scentemental has been speaking of a post about reformulations which he is brewing up and I await it eagerly.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 20th December 2007 at 10:31 AM. Reason: typos
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Hirch, I really like your post and your way of thinking. Yes. A perfume created belongs to a certain time, if it's re-released, or just exists for a very long period, it will inevitably change because of what you said. In some way I find this sort of charming. That means that you can spend your time haunting down an old edition of the thing. Just like antiques! Perfumes change with time, they are dynamic.

I'd love to know what the bottle inside the new Mouchoir de Monsieur looks like - anyone knows? The box appears taller than the abeille bottle...

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder View Post
    I think that reformulations always have and always will happen due to availability of ingredients/regulations/fashion trends. Guerlain had a Vetiver infusion they sold in Mexico before they made the formulation we think of as the first from your film Ulrik. If you like a formulation, you need to buy it now because sooner or later it will change.

[
    I'd love to know what the bottle inside the new Mouchoir de Monsieur looks like - anyone knows? The box appears taller than the abeille bottle...[/QUOTE]

the last time i tried Mouchoir (in november), i found the juice a little bit paler and with a little bit less civet in the opening but in a whole i didn't find it different
    the bottles seemed to be the same, just the packaging changed

While on the subject of Heritage, I know of a chemist in North London that still has a 125ml splash bottle of Heritage EDT for sale (I assume this is the original formulation). Although it's being sold at retail price (more or less) I really couldn't be bothered to snap it up. I love the EDP more than the EDT (and I own both).
    Last edited by Trebor; 20th December 2007 at 10:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you´re definitely right, "Old" is not necessarily "better" - I agree! The new Mitsouko or the new Derby are examples that "New" could be "better" for me. I´m no perfume-fundamentalist, not at all. I know everything changes due to whatever and the new Heritage simply arouses my curiosity... maybe I´ll buy a bottle, but I have too many in stock- that´s the problem.
    Hmmm, let´s see, I´ve got this christmas bonus......
    Last edited by sables; 20th December 2007 at 11:13 AM.

Yes! I also prefer the new Derby - and I like the new Mitsouko at lot too! It's more 'gentle'. I'm like you - get curious about what it's like and feel like getting it... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by sables View Post
    Yes, youīre definitely right, "Old" is not necessarily "better" - I agree! The new Mitsouko or the new Derby are examples that "New" could be "better" for me. Iīm no perfume-fundamentalist, not at all. I know everything changes due to whatever and the new Heritage simply arouses my curiosity... maybe Iīll buy a bottle, but I have too many in stock- thatīs the problem.
    Hmmm, letīs see, Iīve got this christmas bonus......

Is the Heritage advertised on Perfumebay (sorry, I don't know how to link to it here or put a picture of it) the "old" version or the "new" formulation?

QE

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Gentlemen, I say this in fun, and just as your fellow member, but when I think of reformulation questions and now reformulation of reformulation questions, I think this way madness lies.
    --Chris
    Thanks bro, I needed that. I was getting ready to travel down the road of infinite reformulations and perfume paranoia. Not a good path.
    You are not your perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

To add more confusion, hasn't Habit Rouge (all versions) been reformulated too? Why doesn't anyone pin Mr. Guerlain (not the Bnote member!) on this? All I can say is I hope YSL doesn't start doing this.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Thank you for posting the photos My G. They are a great help.

My local House of Fraser appears to have both side by side, so I'll grab an old one on the assumption that once they're gone, they're gone, while the "new" one will be around for a while.