Code of Conduct

Default Am I too easy to impress?

Hey guys,

I'm pretty new to fragrances - I own a few bottles and have tried many samples and minis. Almost everything I buy, I love! How is that possible? I usually order things that I heard good things about, but still.

I recently tried:

Davidoff Cool Water
    D&G pour hommr
    Drakkar Noir
    Burberry Brit
    Gucci Envy
    Armani Code
    Eternity CK
    Acqua Di Gio

I loved everything except Eternity... it's kinda hard to pick favories when there are soo many good ones.. :/

- Tomer
    Currently hooked on: Gucci Envy, Armani Code and L'eau ST Dupont

Default Re: Am I too easy to impress?

I thought I was like that too when I started collecting, but eventually the day will come when you try something new and just can't like it no matter how hard you try. Enjoy the love affair while it lasts though!
    I'm a colognosaurus. Rawr!

Those are all good designer fragrances. Some are much copied and repeated and you may get bored with smelling too many similar ones after a while.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Basenotes Institution

I agree with Robbie - enjoy your 'easy to love' nose. Most likely after a while your trained nose will start to normalize those scents you've listed and you'll be off searching for new love. This is what makes Basenotes such a valuable resource.

I'd love to be like that! I've run across about four fragrances I've either disliked or been indifferent to for every one I've liked, and the ones I've loved number far fewer.

Be glad while your nose is still easily pleased. Ride on this board long enough and you will turn your nose away from most of these perfumes - the fragrance snob here will scent-educate you - be on your defense!

The more experienced your perfume nose becomes, the more discerning (read: picky) you are likely to become. That may mean that frags you like now no longer wow you, but on the other hand, when you do like something, the pleasure you derive may surpass previous levels!
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Just tried D&G pour homme, actually this one I like a bit less than the others. I think my favorite is Armani Code...the scent is soo deep and yummy lol...
    Currently hooked on: Gucci Envy, Armani Code and L'eau ST Dupont

I envy you too - I find many (most) fragrances, especially "designer" ones all smell pretty interchangeable, I discovered Basenotes in the process of trying to smell different from most people (but probably a lot like a lot of you).

Even being a fragrance hobbyist since childhood, I still rarely find fragrances I would describe as vile. It's just that a majority of fragrances are just so-so for me. Experience will bring this on with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    Even being a fragrance hobbyist since childhood, I still rarely find fragrances I would describe as vile. It's just that a majority of fragrances are just so-so for me. Experience will bring this on with time.
    This is somewhat my experience, too. As I've become more familiar with styles and specific notes, I find it easier to find something interesting in nearly every scent. That is, I feel that I've become better at characterizing scents and appreciating individual components (e.g., the interplay of the floral midnotes) in any given scent, even if I may not like it enough to purchase.

In the past several years only a handful of literally hundreds of scents were totally awful for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennard View Post
    I still rarely find fragrances I would describe as vile. It's just that a majority of fragrances are just so-so for me. Experience will bring this on with time.
    I also agree.
    Wisdom comes of experience. Nothing is horrible, it's just that some things aren't worth wasting one's energy on.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st December 2007 at 04:26 PM.

For me. I like classics & classics only. Aqua Di Gio's not part of that group. I like cool water though. Aramis is one of my favoites.