Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Dec '07 Details magazine - The Ultimate Guide to Buying Cologne

In the DETAILS magazine (Dec 2007) the article titled, 'The Ultimate Guide to Buying Cologne' appeared. Some highlights from the article (which I previously had scanned and posted here, but removed) are:

- Colognes fall into categories (three): citrus, spicy and green - they listed examples of citrus as Acqua di Gio and Polo Blue, spicy as Old Spice and Obsession for Men, and green as Marc Jacobs for Men and Chanel Allure Homme
    - The fragrances you choose are affected by how you dress and your skin tone - they even quote Robert Gerstner (co-owner of Aedes) saying, 'if you're the whitest guy on the planet, I wouldn't run out and get something with incense'
    - They suggest taking samples home to test them, especially when you're dropping $200 + for bottles; if you try on fragrances at the stores do not try more than four; put sprays on crook of each elbow and on each wrist
    - Wait 15 minutes after you apply a fragrance to judge it accordingly
    - Generally well made colognes cost between $150 and $200; inexpensive fragrances are mass marketed and contain cheaper ingredients however fragrances MORE than $200 / bottle are rarely worth it;
    - Seven new scents worth seeking out: Diesel Fuel for Life, Gucci Pour Homme II, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Polo Explorer, Hugo XY, Z Zegna EXTREME and Lacoste Elegance
    - Killian Hennessey (owener of By Killian fragrances) gave us his 'rules' on wearing cologne: Don't put cologne on wrists [he thinks its a feminine gesture] he suggests putting it on the chest and both sides of the neck because 'that's the place a woman is going to smell the scent on you'; you know you've put too much on if you feel uncomfortable with the scent you just applied; It is ok to reapply citrusy and fresh scents and more risky to reapply ambery woody scents
    - The classics and who wore them: Franco Zeffirelli wore Hammam Bouquet by Penhaligons; George Washington wore Caswell Massey Number Six; James Bond [Iam Fleming] wore Floris No. 89; Sean Connery wore Jicky; Winston Churchill wore Creed Tabarome; Cary Grant wore Acqua di Parmal Colonia; Robert Redford wore Christian Dior Eau Savage
    - The Cologne Glossary listed 9 notes and the scents that has them: Ambergris (Azzaro Pour Homme); Bergamot (D&G Pour Homme); Cardamom (Dior Homme); Civet (YSL Kouros); Coriander (Armani Attitude); Geranium (Calvin Kleins Eternity for Men); Sandalwood (Creed's Green Irish Tweed); Tonka Bean (Chanel Allure Homme)
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st December 2007 at 04:46 PM.

Default Re: Dec '07 Details magazine - The Ultimate Guide to Buying Cologne

I think they did as good a job as can be expected from a magazine that has two pages to give a rough description of everything about fragrance. Nice job of mentioning some choices other than the current flavors of the moment too.
    Last edited by LiveJazz; 20th August 2009 at 10:21 PM.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

ginger in dior homme?
    sandalwood in GIT?

hmmm....
    "You smell kinda pretty! Wanna Smell me ?"
    - Johnny Bravo

Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by yonggoh View Post
    ginger in dior homme?
    sandalwood in GIT?

hmmm....
    Dior Homme has cardamom, which smells like a more complex ginger spice. Wearing it in warm weather brings it out more. GIT has sandalwood in the drydown.
    -

And nowhere to be found is the "old man smell" nonsense....

Thanks for posting this article. I found it quite informative and always like to know how others apply their fragrances. The photographs are very nice as well, especially the one of Eau Sauvage, mid spray.
    You are not your perfume.

I like the article itself, but I don't like any of his "Seven new scents worth seeking out" and I think the "Cologne Glossary" would be grossly misleading to the average sniffer. Why select those particular fragrances as examples for those specific notes? I think this whole thing is a big f#cking advertisement. Killian seems like a douche, too.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote: "Paying 200 USD for a milliliter of fragrance" WHAT????
    Quote: "Well-made cologne costs between 150 and 200 USD" WOW!!! That`s a PR article or what?
    Quote: "Even the priciest ingredients, such as vetiver" - You should compare prices, author! Maybe someone could sell you the ounce of mud for the price of Cadillac?

They should also open the eyes of a reader about how much average 100 ml bottle of lux scent costs in production... I`ve asked some parisian producers about it - prime cost of any lux bottle with juice (Dior, Guerlain, CK, etc.) is not more than 10 euro!!!
    And now they are talking about the price - of marketing, PR, advertising, distribution, sales persons, etc...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    Killian seems like a douche, too.
    I'm sorry, but that made me laugh out loud. Perfect delivery!
    You are not your perfume.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I like the article itself, but I don't like any of his "Seven new scents worth seeking out" and I think the "Cologne Glossary" would be grossly misleading to the average sniffer. Why select those particular fragrances as examples for those specific notes? I think this whole thing is a big f#cking advertisement. Killian seems like a douche, too.
    I agree about the seven scents they mention. They go on about how well-made fragrances are more expensive, and then the best they can recommend is the mass-market stuff?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

"If you're the whitest guy in the planet, i wouldn't run out and get something with insense."

LOL
    Last edited by knightowl; 20th December 2007 at 04:57 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Out of interest Mike, is their any mention of either Basenotes or me in the article? The reason I ask is that in October I spent a considerable amount of time helping the writer of this piece with definitions of ingredients and researching who wore which classic fragrance - in return (it was promised) for a mention of the website.

Now I spent a good deal of time helping them, at a time when I've enough to do on the website.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin View Post
    Out of interest Mike, is their any mention of either Basenotes or me in the article? The reason I ask is that in October I spent a considerable amount of time helping the writer of this piece with definitions of ingredients and researching who wore which classic fragrance - in return (it was promised) for a mention of the website.

Now I spent a good deal of time helping them, at a time when I've enough to do on the website.

No there is not.

If I were you I would write a letter to the editot of Details. The author Kayleen Schaefer should have referenced you or Basenotes, Grant & if she didn't atleast your letter could appear in the Letter to the Editor section.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No there is not.

If I were you I would write a letter to the editot of Details. The author Kayleen Schaefer should have referenced you or Basenotes, Grant & if she didn't atleast your letter could appear in the Letter to the Editor section.
    Grrrr, that's the second time this year. (A similar trick happened in the UK with the Independent on Sunday too).

That's it - no more unpaid research for journalists!

What made me chuckle most was the thought of fey Kilian Hennessy luring the ladies in with his manly chest spray and avoiding scenting his wrists...

Bwahaha.

Typical PR drivel. Big talk of luxury serving to push mediocre mass market frags, misleading suggestions (why don't they reference Art of Shaving's sandalwood for sandalwood etc. pp.?) and basic infos you can google in 3 seconds. From that perspective it's perhaps no loss basenotes wasn't mentioned, although it might have led some readers to genuinely useful, reliable and indepth information. I agree, though, that this is the most you can expect these days. It's painful sometimes to read journalism from the Seventies, because you realize just how low that trade has now sunk in many quarters (I guess it's been reformulated too many times)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Dior Homme has cardamom, which smells like a more complex ginger spice. Wearing it in warm weather brings it out more. GIT has sandalwood in the drydown.
    The article is littered with half-truths and just plain inaccurate information.

First, there's no Anise in Allure Homme any way you slice it.

Also, he says if you own Dior Homme/Jil Sander clothing, you will like "green, clean scents"???? Well, those who wear Dior/Sander (clothing that is) have exquisite tastes and probably won't settle for green/clean scents. IMHO Dior & Sander scents suit their clothes well. The Green/Clean crowd probably wear Polo, Abercombie & Nautica clothing anyway.

And his final mistake is aligning fragrance cost with quality. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Never heard of By Killian fragrances either. The dude sounds like a Charlatan to me.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by Basenotes Admin View Post
    Grrrr, that's the second time this year. (A similar trick happened in the UK with the Independent on Sunday too).

That's it - no more unpaid research for journalists!
    Well, I think you partly got him back by having the entire article appear in your website, presumably without permission. Usually that is a copyright violation.

Regarding the glossary and recommendations, I believe they deliberately chose scents that are readily available to most people, and recognizable designer names no doubt played a part. How much of this is "dumbing down" and how much is paid product placement is anyone's guess.

My loudest snorts of derision, however, were reserved for the stereotyping of what type of person should wear what type of fragrance. At different times I dress like two of the three stereotypes given, and in no case would I follow the recommendations given.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Fragrance on the wrists is feminine? Whatever. I say, put it anywhere you have arteries.

I agree that Killian seems like a douche. He'll probably never know what it's like to have a woman actually interested in him rather than his money/status. [/jealousy]

P.S. Hennessey is totally the Acqua di Gio of cognacs.
    I get so overwhelmed ... by olfactory hues. ~ Phish

I agree - the seven scents recommended pretty much wreck the credibility of the rest of the article, a real shame. The rest of the info might be useful to some (though presumably not many people who post here).

Basenotes Institution

Hey everyone - so that Grant has no problem negotiating with Details about the error in Basenotes not being credited in the article, I'm going to remove the scans from my original post and post some 'highlights' from the article.

Thanks for everyones interest in the article. Hearing your comments (negative and positive) is the main reason why I posted the scans. Sometimes I feel like we Basenotes members write much more realistic, informative and honest information about fragrances than multi-million dollar publishing corporations. This is one of the main reasons why I support this site.

If you want to see the scans of the article (that I will be removing any second now) PM me.
    --------------------------------------
    Scan removed - but my interpretation of the article has been added. Enjoy!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 21st December 2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Am I the only one that hasn't gotten my issue yet? I ordered a subscription about almost the same day the information that a magazine was going to be available, and have yet to receive the pilot issue. Or am I just a tad impatient .

Quote Originally Posted by artemesia View Post
    Am I the only one that hasn't gotten my issue yet? I ordered a subscription about almost the same day the information that a magazine was going to be available, and have yet to receive the pilot issue. Or am I just a tad impatient .
    I hope you're talking about the Basnotes Magazine and not Details.
    According to an e-mail I received a week ago the pilot issue is delayed and they are working on getting it out as soon as they can.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I hope you're talking about the Basnotes Magazine and not Details.
    According to an e-mail I received a week ago the pilot issue is delayed and they are working on getting it out as soon as they can.
    Haha! Hopefully SMM, otherwise he's taking "patient" to a whole other level!
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Thanks for posting this great article Mike
    LOL on the part that said
    "If your the whitest guy in the world
    you shouldn't buy something with incense
    in it"
    [COLOR="Purple"]I am not afraid... I was born to do this.

-Joan of Arc [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23
    article

Magazine writers... God bless them for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by artemesia View Post
    Wow I must have been really tired when I posted that I missed the whole part about this being from another magazine called Details, which has nothing to do with the basenotes magazine. whoooops.

- Generally well made colognes cost between $150 and $200; inexpensive fragrances are mass marketed and contain cheaper ingredients however fragrances MORE than $200 / bottle are rarely worth it;
    - Seven new scents worth seeking out: Diesel Fuel for Life, Gucci Pour Homme II, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, Polo Explorer, Hugo XY, Z Zegna EXTREME and Lacoste Elegance

... none of these cost anywhere near $150
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Quote Originally Posted by Critic View Post

... none of these cost anywhere near $150
    And I've seen 4 of the 7 they chose at Marshalls for under $30.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Typical PR drivel. Big talk of luxury serving to push mediocre mass market frags, misleading suggestions (why don't they reference Art of Shaving's sandalwood for sandalwood etc. pp.?) and basic infos you can google in 3 seconds. From that perspective it's perhaps no loss basenotes wasn't mentioned, although it might have led some readers to genuinely useful, reliable and indepth information. I agree, though, that this is the most you can expect these days. It's painful sometimes to read journalism from the Seventies, because you realize just how low that trade has now sunk in many quarters (I guess it's been reformulated too many times)
    I agree with this old post.

Fashion magazines are notorious for reviewing the latest scents and are, in some senses, pimping them for the companies. (See the women's magazine "Lucky"--it's all one big ad for clothing, scents and shoes.)

I saw a recent "feature" in Vanity Fair recommending Etiquette Bleue and Nomade by Parfums D'Orsay like they were something new. And then that "faux" legend again...
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Men's magazines articles are trashy, barely concealed advertisements and atrocious writing. I never buy them and if I do read them, it's at the bookstore with a cup of coffee.
    De gustibus non est disputandum