Code of Conduct

Default How full are new Lutens Bell Jars?

When Lutens bell jars are advertized, they always look like this:

But so far both new Bell Jars I've seen look like this:

This photo I took right after opening the sealed box with the little sticker on it which shows it's unopened.

When I got Sarrasins it was also the same though that one wasn't sealed so I had assumed to seller used a few milliliters, but I guess he hadn't!

Is everyone else's experience the same?

Why do they make it look much more full in the promotional photos?

Hmm - comparing these two photos I think maybe the promos are actually paintings/computer graphics rather than photos? The label is smaller than the real one (though in part that's lens distortion).
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 20th December 2007 at 12:39 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Default Re: How full are new Lutens Bell Jars?

Yes, mine was the very same way when I received my bell jar. I also thought the same as you, but it couldn't have been because it was sealed in its plastic wrapping with sticker.

Mine used to arrive as full as shown on the first picture. But about two years ago I received two bottles at the same time: one full as normal, the other one filled to the level as shown on the second picture.

I phoned Paris and they told me that there always was *a tolerance* when bottles were filled. Meaning: it could be a bit more or a bit less than 75 ml.
    But since customer service is immaculate at Lutens they said: "we will send you another bottle. What fragrance would you like?"
    I think I was silent for quite some time from sheer delighted shock

Reading your posts I think there is another possibility. The photo's Lutens is using in advertising are from 'older' bottles. Perhaps they are using now slightly different bottles. Meaning: bottles made of thinner glass or just slightly bigger/wider bottles (other bottle supplier?) So the content is still about 75 ml, only....it looks like less.

I suppose you could measure the content but that would mean a lot of contact with air.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Off-Scenter

Yup, that's how they come! The promotional photos are almost certainly Photoshopped within inches of their lives by Lutens's ad agency.

Basenotes Institution

This is a job for scentemental (which BTW I haven't seen around Basenotes for a while...) - he's always measuring this and comparing that. Sadly I have no bell jars to play with and check myself...

Thanks now I have to go look into my sink area and pull out the two bell jars of FT I have. I bought two of the Bell jars last year and am not half way finished with one, so now Ill obsess the rest of the day wondering if I am somehow 'short' a ml or so, even though that second bottle won't get tapped until 2009

I had the same reaction upon opening my sealed bell jar of Cuir Mauresque. I chalked it up to standard deviation in bottling and trust that the level is within a ml or so of 75.

Slightly OT, are you all dabbing on the juice with the bottle stopper, or are you putting it in an atomizer, or other?

I promise to report on the apparent volume of my bell jar as soon as I get one.
    Behemoth cut a slice of pineapple, salted it, peppered it, ate it, and then tossed off a second glass of alcohol so dashingly that everyone applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zatarain View Post
    Slightly OT, are you all dabbing on the juice with the bottle stopper, or are you putting it in an atomizer, or other?

I promise to report on the apparent volume of my bell jar as soon as I get one.
    Dabbing with the stopper all the way! Prevents waste, and a little is usually enough with these guys.
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Banned

Well I just recieved my bell jars, and they are filled to around the same amount as Caesars pic shows. Kind of dissapointing compared to my bottle of chergui...

Will take some pics later..
    Last edited by teger; 21st December 2007 at 07:36 PM.

Hey, which bell jars did you just get? Did you get those from shopinfrance already?!
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Hey, which bell jars did you just get? Did you get those from shopinfrance already?!
    Un Bois de Sepia, Santal de Mysore, Encens et Lavande, and Fumerie Turque.

They weren't from shopfranceinc(not affil), but from an ebay seller who had a decent price not above $200 a bottle UNLIKE some sellers ($250 is INSANELY too much for a bell jar... profit whores )

Next time will be from shopfranceinc definitely because of the more reasonable price.
    Last edited by teger; 21st December 2007 at 09:47 PM.

I bought mine from Serge Lutens directly last year and used an intermediary who took shipment in England and I got some shave stuff to go with it, and he sent it on.

I use a roll on bottle that holds about 8 to 10 ml I think

heh. Profit whores... Did you see the MKK auction that ended at $450..?

??? You have to wonder what's up with people who do that! There are auctions for "get whatever lutens you want" at an already outrageous buy it now $270 - why would you bid $450?
    CAESAR SEEKS:

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS: