Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Unhappy Anyone Else Totally Overwhelmed?

I have to say that 2007 went by in a big gray blur for me perfumery-wise. I've never seen so many "new" fragrances popping out of everywhere all at once. I think I read there were over 800 releases this year. Geesh! I only bothered to spring for one Luckyscent sample bag, and found only two out of the 11 I kind of liked, but haven't bought either (Black Tourmaline and Cadjmere). My big new purchase this year was L'Artisan's Dzongkha, which came out in 2006, I believe. I haven't even bothered to seek out the new Annick Goutals yet and they are incense-based, my favorite. But I feel totally overwhelmed and underwhelmed at the same time. How are you all feeling??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone Else Totally Overwhelmed?

I think the thing that fustrated me the most was all this exclusive crap!!! I live in the Washington DC area. So, I have pretty good access to most frags, but not alot of the niche frags though. Still, it's very irritating when you have to drive from mall to mall just to sample a new frag because it's only exclusive to Saks ro Bloomies....Arrrgghhh!! I only liked a few of the new ones to hit the shelves this year. I try to pick out what scents to try out at Luckyscent and others, but I just can't make up my mind. The way frags are coming and going I better hurry up and make up my mind before they get discontinued.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Looking at the stats: According to Robin/NowSmellThis, we're pummeled by 800 new fragrance releases a year now. I surely didn't try all, but of those I did, only one made any difference to me (Storer's Stephanie).

The two new releases I wanted to try (Cadente Discrete, Pozo In White) haven't even made it to U.S. stores yet, and both were supposed to be here this autumn. It's difficult to throttle hopes and expectations when you feel jerked around. Hey, but, what am I b*tching about? Life is so kind in so many aspects, it's just sport to complain about such trivialities.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    Looking at the stats: According to Robin/NowSmellThis, we're pummeled by 800 new fragrance releases a year now. I surely didn't try all, but of those I did, only one made any difference to me (Storer's Stephanie).

The two new releases I wanted to try (Cadente Discrete, Pozo In White) haven't even made it to U.S. stores yet, and both were supposed to be here this autumn. It's difficult to throttle hopes and expectations when you feel jerked around. Hey, but, what am I b*tching about? Life is so kind in so many aspects, it's just sport to complain about such trivialities.
    I feel absolutely overwhelmed! And I vow to not even try to keep up. For me the major new release this year was Michael Storer's Genvieve, a sophisticated animalic rose based bouquet and not a girly fruity floral, a very womanly scent. I am also besotted with Winter Star.

This year I also liked but haven't bought Kelly Caleche and SL Rousse. And I bought plenty of Ava Luxe fragrances. Attempting to keep up with new niche scents has only left me disappointed, I have trundled into NYC to sample Bonds and Le Labo and many others only to leave the city empty handed except for some SL and MPG samples from Aedes.

For my part, most of my friends at home have no clue about scents beyond whatever is being hyped in Vogue and in the department stores. My obsession for fragrances appears like a foreign language to them and they mildly amused but would prefer to discuss movies and books. The idea of chasing into NYC for fragrances? Not unless there's a play or concert involved.

I have decided to keep up with Guerlain, Caron, Balmain, Balenciaga, and Serge Lutens releases and to follow Michael Storer's scents as they seem to be oblivious to fads and have the ingredients the EU is shying from. I am hoping Serena will come back soon as her house is a great favorite too. BUT, I simply can't follow every new brand or new release or limited edition. I'll gladly sample what I see but I need to relax about knowing everything out here! It's an insurmountable task.

I'm glad I didn't know about all this. I'm just finding out about smells from you folks. I've never been swept up in the 'new and exclusive' thing - not even before I became such a fanatic - so no, I'm not overwhelmed, other than by my own wardrobe and ever-growing collection of samples!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Last year was my Perfume Titanic!
    In 2006 I sniffed too, too many samples, bought too many scents impulsively & and in the end felt disgusted.
    This year has been more about letting go of the wardrobe fillers, removing the scent blogs from my Favorites and focusing on getting permanent loves in my drobe.
    I delete the "New Arival Announcement" emails from Luckyscent, Aedes & Beautyhabit without reading them, I just don't care to know about the newest/latest/hottest scent.
    The only line to tuely interest me in 2007 is Neil Morris line ( thanks to Comdiva!!).
    I'd like to focus on getting some Caron urn scents and some of Neil's scents in 2008.

I bought way too much this year, WAY TOO MUCH! And at the end of the year, I am irritated with myself and truly in love with only a few. Fortunately, I have two daughters who have picked up some of these scents and I have passed on a few to others either on a "you like it, here it's yours" basis or as parts of larger gift packages. 2007 is the year that I learned the absolute benefit of purchasing samples or trying a scent multiple times before I buy it. 2008 will find my credit card gathering dust (I hope I hope)

No, I'm not overwhelmed. I enjoy trying or sniffing whatever scents come out, but if I cannot get to a line or a scent to try it out, I really don't care. Lately, most releases have been disappointments for me. When a house or company releases 15 scents at once (Chanel, Tom Ford, etc.) you've got to wonder about that!!! I haven't purchased a new release in a long, long time. I've been toying with Ange au Demon, but haven't decided yet and probably I will not purchase.

However, I've also become much more finicky about fragrance over that past several years. As a result, I've purged my scent wardrobe and own things I truly enjoy and that reflect something about who I am while keeping the number of bottles within check. I still purchase my favorites with old formulations if I can find them, but I don't drop much money on new things and find I have less of an emotional investment in the hobby, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tinker424 View Post
    Last year was my Perfume Titanic!
    In 2006 I sniffed too, too many samples, bought too many scents impulsively & and in the end felt disgusted.
    This year has been more about letting go of the wardrobe fillers, removing the scent blogs from my Favorites and focusing on getting permanent loves in my drobe.
    I delete the "New Arival Announcement" emails from Luckyscent, Aedes & Beautyhabit without reading them, I just don't care to know about the newest/latest/hottest scent.
    The only line to tuely interest me in 2007 is Neil Morris line ( thanks to Comdiva!!).
    I'd like to focus on getting some Caron urn scents and some of Neil's scents in 2008.
    What you had in 2006 I had this year...and I intend to do in 2008 what you did this year..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Great responses! This year has been a "weeding" year for me, too, and I'm down to about 15 that I really love, all completely different from each other. I've probably only tried about 20 new frags, in stores, mostly, and the sample pack from Luckyscent. I don't keep up with new niche houses anymore, it's just too much and my brain does not have the sort of memory capacity necessary!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I have to say that 2007 went by in a big gray blur for me perfumery-wise. I've never seen so many "new" fragrances popping out of everywhere all at once. I think I read there were over 800 releases this year. Geesh! I only bothered to spring for one Luckyscent sample bag, and found only two out of the 11 I kind of liked, but haven't bought either (Black Tourmaline and Cadjmere). My big new purchase this year was L'Artisan's Dzongkha, which came out in 2006, I believe. I haven't even bothered to seek out the new Annick Goutals yet and they are incense-based, my favorite. But I feel totally overwhelmed and underwhelmed at the same time. How are you all feeling??
    I feel you, even though the number of new frags targeting men is far smaller. I tend to ignore most designer releases, the stuff has become too predictably repetetive, synthetic and cheap anyway. There's a few niches that raise an eyebrow - BN, of course, is the perfect place to get a sense of what's worth trying. Otherwise, I think it's best to follow one's own course. Right now I'm more interested in classic 19th century EdCs than in new releases. In musical metaphor, better to discover The Smiths in 2007 than falling for the latest one hit wonder .
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm simplifying and narrowing my focus, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Interesting responses, and cautionary tales. I guess I haven't felt overwhelmed since I haven't bought any 2007 scents - and don't really read much "new" press. So many frags that are old hat to many of you are new to me

I'm more interested in expanding my aromatic palette with scents that have, for the most part already been sniffed by many folks who have far better developed noses than mine - and working "backwards" - buying classics with a few (for me) daring forays into this niche world so many of you are familar with. It's probably why I really like what's in my wardrobe - the only exceptions were gifts - most of which were given away. I am enjoying having a lot of variety, but a variety that will get worn - I will never go back to wearing the same scent day in day out, even a beloved one. Did that for too many years. I will splurge on samples - just to explore and be curious - but it will be interesting to see what samples turn into bottles. I'm looking forward to the Un Histoire de Chypre coming soon (thanks to Renee, and Kyra) which will be my only "new" frag. The bulk of my wardrobe is pre-2000 with a third pre 1980.

I have to admit the list of niche perfumers, and releases by major houses, which grows longer everytime I blink, is bewildering and befuddling and I will probably never sniff even a 10th of a percent of what's out there. That's okay with me. I can't even keep the acronyms in memory that are used here and on MUA.

I'm ecstatic about the "new" scents I have discovered and they will become wardrobe staples - the most exciting ones so far were Un Jardin sur le Nil (2005), Datura Noir (2001) and I'm going to have fun this summer with Bahiana (2005).

My godson is buying me something from CB I Hate Perfume, since he lives a few blocks away from their shop (I know I must be getting old cause that name makes me shake my head) and I would like to own Stephanie by M. Storer (thank you Joy).

Elf - thank you for this thread, and also to everyone else who responded. I will make a New Year's Resolution to remind myself in the year ahead to stick to my plan - get the classics, read about, and carefully sample those scents that will become the classics, and ignore the rest.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I'm overwhelmed.

Isn't it great?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Yes, I'm overwhelmed.

Isn't it great?
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

Please visit SalonAesthetica.com (undergoing redecorating, but still open for business and will be motoring along soon)

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    Kelly Caleche smells like Beelzeebub's urine to me...

Post Thanks / Like

I'm interested to see which, if any, of 2007's fragrances endure and stay in production.
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    Great responses! This year has been a "weeding" year for me, too, and I'm down to about 15 that I really love, all completely different from each other. I've probably only tried about 20 new frags, in stores, mostly, and the sample pack from Luckyscent. I don't keep up with new niche houses anymore, it's just too much and my brain does not have the sort of memory capacity necessary!
    Elf, what are the faves of yours? Just curious!

I started with fumes in an addicted way in january 2006. That year was my Titanic-year, I smelled absolutley everything that came in my way, and I bought quite a lot, also some misstakes.

I bought less bottles this year, but I have spent more money on fumes anyhow, cause I have started to get the whole lines when it is possible, all concentrations and all the extraproducts. This is a good thing to do, because I really get to know the frags, and I can´t have so very many different sorts. I have started to reduse my wardrobe.

My dream is to only have five-stars-fumes in my wardrobe...

I got one of the 2007 productions, Covet by Sarah Jessica Parker. I am most fond of the bodylotion, who works very, very well with many other fumes. It is not a five-star-fume, but a four-star-one!
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

Post Thanks / Like

2007 was really my first perfume buying year. I bought VIW, Bond Coney Island and SL Rousse, and a lot of older scents, but I haven't felt the need to try everything that came out - I'm quite particular about what I like. There are too many releases each year and I don't get all these exclusives either - release them for everyone or not at all!

I look at my purchases, and am not sorry for all the rabid sniffing I've done-
    But I'd like to focus a bit more, in the next year.
    Joining Sniffapalooza really changed my world, big-time.

But next year is pivotal for both my sons- and I've GOT to find work that's less abusive.
    That, and working alongside Neil, need to be more my priorities.
    I'll still continue to be insane- but hopefully, spend less.

Quote Originally Posted by marnie View Post
    What you had in 2006 I had this year...and I intend to do in 2008 what you did this year..
    I'm with Marnie.

I'm hoping that my 2008 will be the same as Tinks 2007. I need to purge a bit and find my true loves.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

To answer the previous question, my current top 10:
    1. Un Jardin Sur le Nil
    2. Eau des Merveilles
    3. Niki de St. Phalle
    4. La Myrrhae (L'Erbolario)
    5. Magical Moon (Hanae Mori)
    6. L'Artisan Dzongkha
    7. Mitsouko
    8. Feminite du Bois
    9. Caron's Aimez Moi
    10. Fendi Theorema and Asja (tie)

One of the few that falls into my "gotta love it" category that really wowed me this year was PG's Cadjmere, but it was a little too strong for me in the end, just stuck with a sample. (OK, stronger than Niki de SP? I don't get it either....)

A Site For Sore Eyes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I gotta admit I overdid it a bit..

But in 2008 I promise to exercise more control.

Just a few more..
    Deep in the dark your kiss will thrill me
    Like days of old. Lighting the spark of love that fills me
    with dreams untold..--Twilight Time

Post Thanks / Like

I've done my fair share of sniffing around, but I've just found more of the same.
    I've loved Chanel for quite some time, and a majority of my fragrance wardrobe has been Chanel as of late (I find that a majority of the Chanels seem to work pretty well with my chemistry). I wasn't too fond of Chance though, so I pretty much left that alone.

I think I'm going to try and branch out a bit in 2008, and expand my wardrobe beyond the Double C *grin*

Post Thanks / Like

Me too! Admittedly, I over did it in 2007. I was trying to count how many bottles I have acquired and embarrassingly I have lost count
    Having said that I bought some that I really enjoy in particular: Angelique Encens, Virgin Island Water, DKNY Be Delicious.
    Living in this part of the planet just doesn't allow me to have easy access to niche scents, but there is pros and cos. The pros would be spending less money and putting more focuses on the designer and common labels, the cons is missing out on sampling the exclusives.
    My new year resolution is to keep reminding myself not to do more blind buys

Not yet, and it has been a long ride...