Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spraying Cologne Only On Clothes..Question

Hi bn , So i ve a question , we all know spraying cologne on fabric/clothes will increase longevity of the fragrance so that it can lasts for months.
    Question : Does Spraying Cologne On Clothes Provides a "decent projection/sillage" so that others can smell it ?? At least for a good 5hours , i really need a decent sillage/projection for 5 hours

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Spraying Cologne Only On Clothes..Question

some can stain clothes. it does make it last longer but i just spray on pulse points if the frag itself doesnt have good projection i carry a little atomizer
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    some can stain clothes. it does make it last longer but i just spray on pulse points if the frag itself doesnt have good projection i carry a little atomizer
    Sorry but you didnt answer my question. Thanks anyway

Post Thanks / Like

it can. I do it all the time because my skin sucks every juice i spray on. Spraying in your clothes will project and last long....but the only downside IMO is the fact that the various notes(top,mid & base) of the cologne may not set in properly as it would on your skin. But other than that, why not.? it will project and last long.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justiceanthony View Post
    it can. I do it all the time because my skin sucks every juice i spray on. Spraying in your clothes will project and last long....but the only downside IMO is the fact that the various notes(top,mid & base) of the cologne may not set in properly as it would on your skin. But other than that, why not.? it will project and last long.
    Thanks for your reply ! instead of spraying 4 on skin , 2 on the shirt and 2 on expose skin . is that okay with VERSACE MAN EAU FRAICHE ?

Post Thanks / Like

In my experience, spraying on clothing will give greater sillage but diminished longevity.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    In my experience, spraying on clothing will give greater sillage but diminished longevity.
    mm interesting , thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newfraglove View Post
    Thanks for your reply ! instead of spraying 4 on skin , 2 on the shirt and 2 on expose skin . is that okay with VERSACE MAN EAU FRAICHE ?
    I don't know your skin type, but on me Versace Man Eau Fraiche does not last that long. So for someone like me, 2 on skin and 2 on shirt won't be enough. you may want to try one spray at the back of your shirt as well, and behind your knees too. And maybe your neck.

- - - Updated - - -

seriously? I doubt it, spraying on clothes is always noted for increased longevity. IMO

+ 1. I thought it was just in my head.

I wonder if this varies from scent to scent. Eau des Baux on clothes? Holy cow, it lasts for ages on clothes even if it wasn't directly sprayed on them. Wow! I do loves me some EdB. Can't wait till fall finally arrives!

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting. I consistently get far better longevity when spraying on clothes. It never fails to improve longevity dramatically. Though, sometimes the fragrance smells more stale on clothes than on skin.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

In my opinion, sillage and longetivity are increased by the clothes. Projection is increased by the the skin. I can tell the longetivity is a lot better on the shirt because most of the time when I wake up from a night out I can still smell it in the shirt. I don't think clothes would ever be a better source for projection. Like people have mentioned above, it's those pulse points that produce heat which in turn produces more fragrance.

I do 3-4 sprays on the skin, one on the shirt.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by newfraglove View Post
    Sorry but you didnt answer my question. Thanks anyway
    i believe i did carry an atomizer if your having that problem
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mlsweeney View Post
    In my opinion, sillage and longetivity are increased by the clothes. Projection is increased by the the skin. I can tell the longetivity is a lot better on the shirt because most of the time when I wake up from a night out I can still smell it in the shirt. I don't think clothes would ever be a better source for projection. Like people have mentioned above, it's those pulse points that produce heat which in turn produces more fragrance.

I do 3-4 sprays on the skin, one on the shirt.
    I vary from scent to scent. Some I will only spray on skin, some on clothes and some both on skin and clothes. I guess darker clothes = less worry about stains. Say for instance, I do 2 sprays of Aventus, 1 on upperarm and 1 on chest or back on shirt or t-shirt. I tried Rive Gauche on shirt today and the 2 sprays seemed to be gone in a couple of hours, it was there but very very faint.
    Over the weekend I had gone to watch TDKR and was wearing DHI on skin (2 sprays on chest and 2 on neck, from a 5ml decant spray) and half way through the movie it got a bit hot in there and DHI just came alive! I had it on for a good 4 hours by then and there it was just creating a scent cloud, so heat does increase projection.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    Interesting. I consistently get far better longevity when spraying on clothes. It never fails to improve longevity dramatically. Though, sometimes the fragrance smells more stale on clothes than on skin.
    +1. I'm actually wearing MI today, which almost never lasts more than 6 hours on my skin and its still kicking pretty good on my shirt now 11 hours later.
    Current favorites_____Roja Dove Amber Aoud_____Montale Aoud Musk_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndBakeryAttack View Post
    +1 on this, I get much better longevity on clothes.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i get much better longevity on clothes too , but i am asking for sillage and projection.

I suggest you experiment and see what happens. My guess is that the highly synthetic frags will last longer and project better on clothes. Frags with strong amber may do better on skin unless it's a hot day. Development may differ on clothing and some notes may be stronger than they should be, so again I think you should just see what happens. You can spray on a handkerchief rather than on your shirt so that there won't be any confusion (which could occur if it gets on your shirt and your chest).

Post Thanks / Like

I generally spray on clothes only. In my experience longevity is increased. Projection and silage are about the same. Development is slowed.

Edmond Roudnitska, Dior's legendary perfumer, is reported to have said that wearing fragrance on skin "distorts" the fragrance, and preferred clothing to carry the scent.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big proponent of clothing sprays..though skin too. If I want longevity my main sprays are chest, back of neck(almost right on hairline) and shirt/sweater(as some have said, you don't want stains so make sure it won't). I love fall and the weather because I get especially good longevity on sweaters.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I respectfully disagree. When I spray a scent on my shirt that's not known for great longevity (some Creed, for example) it has much more staying power while sillage is about the same.

Carry a small decant and re apply. Sometimes spraying on clothes have made some fragrances smell funky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by calilove View Post
    i believe i did carry an atomizer if your having that problem
    I thought you did too and it answered one of my concerns too re staining!
    Tom Ford Black Orchid
    Acqua di Parma Colonia
    Creed Baie de Genievre
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Serge Lutens Rahat Loukoum
    Serge Lutens Douce Amere
    Parfum d'Empire Aziyade
    MFK Lumiere Noire
    Etat Libre d'Orange Noel au Balcon
    Etat Libre d'Orange Delicious Closet Queen
    Guerlain Habit Rouge

There ain't no devil - that's just god when he's drunk

Post Thanks / Like

I'm also in the don't spray on your clothes camp. I always carry a decant if the longevity of a fragrance sucks.