Code of Conduct

Default Shampoo/Conditioner

Do you use unscented? What kind?

My hair is so short that it doesn't really seem to matter. I've been decanting the VO5 stuff.

Default Re: Shampoo/Conditioner

I use L'Oreal for shampoo, balsam and mask... And some Kerastase treatment.

But again, that's me, who I get paid for the way I look :P

For shampoo I use....

Clarifying shampoo..any brand, but right now Pantene

Shampoo for dry scalp and dandruff.....Paul Mitchell Tea Tree/Neutrogena T-Gel

Conditioning Shampoo.....any brand, but right now Creme of Nature, Elasta QP

For conditioner I use....

Aveda Cherry Almond/Deep Penetrating conditioner w/Clariol Jazzing Clear

Leave-in....Aveda Elixir/Fermydol 619/Straight Stuff/Aveda Styling Currence & Damage Control/Elasta QP Silk

I love Aveda products because they smell soooo good. I also use their styling products as well. I was a hair model in my younger days. So, I still take very good care of my hair. I don't use products that contain alcohol. I don't use the styling irons that go in the stove. I only use heat on my hair right after it's been washed. I use electric styling irons on low heat. I wrap my hair and sleep in a satin head scarf. I do not sleep with my hair out. Cotton pillow cases dry the hair out. I get my ends trimmed once a month and I get a touch up (relaxer) every 3 months. I wear my hair long and straight.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

MMM MM MMM the Victorias secret strawberries and champagne for dry hair (conditioner) or VO5 Berry Smoothie w/the VS conditioner. Yum.
    Always remember you are unique; just like everyone else.

I like Redken or Aveda hair products.

I do CO washing on a daily basis with White Rain Ocean Mist Conditioner. It's great.
    Current Wardrobe: Terre d'Hermes (duh), Guerlain Vetiver, Bvlgari Aqua, Bvlgari Pour Homme, Mugler Cologne, Rochas Man, Green Irish Tweed

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Darmes View Post
    I do CO washing on a daily basis with White Rain Ocean Mist Conditioner. It's great.
    Woah, cool! I've never seen the term CO washing outside the long hair care forums. I did CO washing for about a year, but switched back to shampoo.

I usually shampoo with Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, it is so tingly I love it. I detangle with VO5 Extra body conditioner (so slippy!) and use some Beauty Without Cruelty Revitalize Leave-in conditioner. I usually wear my hair in a single braid, it is long enough to sit on.

As we're in the same part of the state, miss Dulci, it must be in the water.

(or in the air...cedar allergies, you know.. )
    Current Wardrobe: Terre d'Hermes (duh), Guerlain Vetiver, Bvlgari Aqua, Bvlgari Pour Homme, Mugler Cologne, Rochas Man, Green Irish Tweed

oh yes, the cedar pollen is just terrible right now.

Blog Entries

I have never smelled a conditioner that is as stunning as Nature's Gate Herbal (Original) Conditioner . I wish it were bottled as a scent. Years and years ago - I discovered it in a small shop in the Bay Area of California. Since then the company has grown and has many more products - but thankfully are still producing this! I have tried other fancy products - high priced salon brands, but realized I was throwing my money away and none have ever matched this one for the wonderful fragrance it leaves in my hair, and the way it conditions. Yikes - they should hire me to promote it .

I found a great review of their products athttp://www.hairboutique.com/tips/tip162.htm
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 14th January 2008 at 09:21 AM.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

DeeOlive, my daughter uses Nature's Gate Original. I used it a few times too, I love the smell, but it makes my scalp itch.

Blog Entries

Hi Dulci, sorry to hear that - have you tried the Tea tree one's?
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Not from Nature's Gate, but I do love Giovanni's Tea Tree shampoo.

I use Mastey Paris traite' shampoo (it's sulfate free) and Cliven Vitamine 7 Nourishing conditioner. I have a super sensitive scalp so I need to cleanse gently, and my hair is longer than my buttocks so I need a rich conditioner. Both of these products work wonderfully. I also use Phyto 9 leave-in conditioner, to maintain silkiness.

I JUST wanted to post a thread on this subject and am so happy to see it already here! It does seem by the above posts that people ARE using products WITH scent. I do too (LUSH), but was wondering what true perfume aficionados thought of scented products. I've wondered about Kiehl's shampoos and conditioners, if anyone has any experience.

As for scent--if I'm wearing a violet perfume, I love love love LUSH's Daddy O shampoo, and you can't beat the scent of American Cream conditioner for vanillic scent days. I sometimes wish there were good, really really good unscented ones out there too, though.

Great thread

My hair's long and frizzy/curly. I've been quite happy with Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine (Cheap stuff. I save my pennies for my fragrances.) I use the conditioning cream, too. The fragrance is very refreshing and uplifting, and it doesn't clash with my perfumes. I use Mustela on my baby daughter - smells pretty and fresh.
    Last edited by Tovah; 19th July 2008 at 08:20 PM.

I rotate several shampoos, none of which has a strong fragrance. My fragrance-free preferences are 1) Paula's Choice All Over Hair and Body Shampoo (available online) for when I want something very gentle, and 2) Neutrogena's Anti-Residue formula, which I use no more than once a week.

It's harder to find unscented conditioners, so I just try to find ones with light scents, and I use wash-outs, rather than leave-ins.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

I was thinking about this thread and thought I'd share the name of a great, albeit expensive, conditioner that was recommended to me by a trustworthy source (for me). She has evidently tried many conditioners without luck until finding this. The aim was to avoid tangling and deeply condition.

Pureology Nanotech Anti-Fade conditioner

It is amazing, with little scent, and you need such a small amount to get through tangles (like half a Tsp. as opposed to Tbsp.'s of other conditioners). It is, however, costly; It is about $45 for about 8 oz., but with a good coupon you can get it for less online at Fragrance.net, and since you use so little it will last a long time. I calculated it out and it turned out I was spending more on my Lush conditioners that didn't work as well in the end because of the amounts needed to get adequate conditioning. (Sorry LUSH, I love you dearly, but this just works better!) Now, I didn't try it until reading reviews on Makeupalley.com, so I'd consider checking those out before investing.

I do need product (like a gel) to get some lift and body because the conditioning is SO thorough and leaves my hair like silk at the ends. Its' results seem cumulative, too, as I'm needing less and less each day. It does NOT cause oiliness, though, and it seems you really must use just a tiny amount working from the ends up.

The scent is sweet, but slight, and since you need so little (have I mentioned that enough?) it does not seem to compete at all with fragrance.

(BTW, I have long, fine hair that knots on the ends without good detangling, for reference.) Also, I really know this is expensive, and definitely a luxury item, but I bought it instead of a fragrance for myself, and do not regret it.

Just a thought.

Last edited by lushsoup; 31st August 2008 at 05:48 PM.

billy jealosy shampoo is awesome...very pepperminty!!
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Blog Entries

I second Pureology. I have color and highlights in my hair (coppery tones) and my hairstylist tells me it's the absolute best for helping maintain color. I use the Hydrate Shampoo and the Reconstruct/Repair conditioner. I also use only a small amount of both-- about 1 tsp of shampoo and 1/2 tsp of conditioner. We have a water softener on the house, but it still was an adjustment to learn to use so little shampoo. I found a good price on the 33 oz bottle (about $35) at a beauty supply place about a year ago, and the shop girl gave me an 8 oz generic plastic bottle to keep in the shower so I can just refill. It's probably going to take another six months or more to finish the big bottle, so I definitely feel I'm getting great value from this high end shampoo. When I condition, I use a dry washcloth to absorb excess water from my hair, then apply conditioner to the ends and about half way up the hair shaft. It's definitely the most effective conditioner I've ever used, but I do feel like my hair is too slick if I condition up to my scalp. I also have fine, straight hair.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

I need to try this wonderful conditioner.
    What is CO washing??Thank you.

I think CO washing is using conditioner only, no shampoo, but somebody please correct me if I am wrong.

My hair is really healthy, so I can pretty much use anything and have tried so many different brands. I loved Thermasilk, but after they discontinued the line I started searching for something new. I recently started using the Suave Radiant Brunette shampoo and conditioner from a rec on another site and I love the way it smells. And it really does make my hair super shiney.

This CO thng sounds very interesting. Thanks. I will try it.
    Are there really conditioners that are so powerful that 1 tbs is enough?? I use about 2 handfuls and my hair is still knotty.

Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    This CO thng sounds very interesting. Thanks. I will try it.
    Are there really conditioners that are so powerful that 1 tbs is enough?? I use about 2 handfuls and my hair is still knotty.
    I don't know anything about CO conditioning. But, yes, I never would have thought so, but this conditioner really works. My method (just my experience) is to wash my hair, part it down the middle, and apply half a tsp of the Pureology Nanotech conditioner to each side, just from the ends up. I do use a comb carefully, though, to work it through. It ends up being like a tsp total when I'm through.

I just double tested it by going back to a day on my regular conditioner and I needed TBSP's to get through the knots. So, I'm a convert.

I think knottiness is all in how you wash your hair. I never even used a tbsp when my wavy hair was down to my waist. You can use a wide toothed comb to comb the conditioner through your wet hair.

Quote Originally Posted by lushsoup View Post
    I don't know anything about CO conditioning. But, yes, I never would have thought so, but this conditioner really works. My method (just my experience) is to wash my hair, part it down the middle, and apply half a tsp of the Pureology Nanotech conditioner to each side, just from the ends up. I do use a comb carefully, though, to work it through. It ends up being like a tsp total when I'm through.

I just double tested it by going back to a day on my regular conditioner and I needed TBSP's to get through the knots. So, I'm a convert.

I am really impressed, I swear. Too bad I am leaving US in a couple of days. I wonder if it's available anywhere else. After I condition my hair with lots of regular conditioner and sometimes mask, I normally use some sort of dry end oil and some "shiny, healthy, etc hair " stuff...and it still takes me about 15 minutes to detangle my hair.

Love Nature's Gate Henna Shampoo and Conditioner. They smell like Jergen's original hand lotion to me. Yum! I am also majorly in love with L'oreal Hydra Gloss shampoo and conditioner for extremely dry hair.
    (Even though my hair isn't, I shampoo daily so a shampoo and conditioner for dry hair works well).

Well, I have also too, wavy/frizzy hair and finally broke down and got a brand I had been eyeballing every year at the hair show but never took the step to buy. It's called Deva Curl. First of all, it smells sooooooo delicious (takes you away on a mini tropical vaca in the shower) and secondly, my hair has never been in better condition. It's a small product line but very effective for those who have decided to "embrace" their curls.

Thumbs up Re: Shampoo/Conditioner

Quote Originally Posted by bernat View Post
    I've been decanting the VO5 stuff.
    Decanting? Why?

Incidentally I found a delicious-smelling VO5 shampoo the other day, "Vanilla Mint Tea." I don't really notice the mint; it reminds me a little of Tea for Two by L'Artisan. The best part is I got a 15-fl.oz. bottle for US$0.79!

Quote Originally Posted by Tovah View Post
    My hair's long and frizzy/curly. I've been quite happy with Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine
    Mm! Yes, I have problems with my wavy/frizzy hair, and found help with Garnier "Long and Strong" leave-in conditioner. But they stopped making it. Or at least I can't find it in my area anymore. Frustrating.

So I went back to using Jhirmack Shine shampoo and conditioner. I like the scent. Wish someone would bottle it.

Last time I went to California, I visited with one of my old high school friends. She gave me a ton of perfume samples, and slipped in some samples of hair and beauty products as well. One of the samples was for Jonathan's Silky Dirt. It was free, so what the heck. I tried it, and really really liked it.

So yesterday, when I went shopping for perfume for someone, I indulged and bought a tube of this stuff. It's really expensive, but wow, it works wonders! The only problem is, it smells really strongly of almond/cinnamon/vanilla. And thus, it would clash with some of the perfumes I might choose to wear. Luckily, it goes okay with Neil Morris' Prowl, which is what I wore today.
    Last edited by Aiona; 20th December 2008 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Jonathan's not Johnathan's

Quote Originally Posted by AndiMAC View Post
    Well, I have also too, wavy/frizzy hair and finally broke down and got a brand I had been eyeballing every year at the hair show but never took the step to buy. It's called Deva Curl. First of all, it smells sooooooo delicious (takes you away on a mini tropical vaca in the shower) and secondly, my hair has never been in better condition. It's a small product line but very effective for those who have decided to "embrace" their curls.
    I have been using the Deva Curl No Poo for a year now and I love it. It smells of roses and peppermint, leaves my hair (which is colored frequently) really soft and shiny, and I never need to use a conditioner afterward. I very occasionally rotate the No Poo with Aveda Shampure, but only very occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiMAC View Post
    I also have been using the Deva Curl No Poo for a year now and I love it. It smells of roses and peppermint, leaves my hair (which is colored frequently) really soft and shiny, and I never need to use a conditioner afterward. I very occasionally rotate the No Poo with Aveda Shampure, but only very occasionally. Love the Deva Curl!

I have normal long and almost straight hair. I use the Kiehls' Protein Concentrate Herbal Shampoo for Dry to Normal Hair and their Hair Conditioner & Grooming Aid - Formula 133. It is great for summer as both products are fairly light and doesn't weight the hair down. It doesn't have a scent and won't crash the perfume that I am wearing. I have a feeling that this combination might not work for knotty hair as the conditioner is rather thin.

Occassionally I would also use the Vidal Sasson - VS Diamond Shine Moisturizing Shampoo / Conditioner (which I think might be only available for the Asian market). The conditioner is super! It is detangles and makes my hair looks more shiney and easier for combing.

Shampoo
    Walgreens generic answer to Neutrogena's T-Sal or Dr. Bronner's Peppermint and/or Lavender
    Conditioner
    Pure olive oil infused with bergamot, lavender, amber, and patchouli essential oils.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Quote Originally Posted by analavande View Post
    Conditioner
    Pure olive oil infused with bergamot, lavender, amber, and patchouli essential oils.
    Do you make it yourself?

Yes. It is simple, natural, healthy and efficacious. I use the same solution on my skin.
    Last edited by analavande; 18th January 2009 at 07:43 AM. Reason: addition of information
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Has anyone tried Pureology Reconstruct Repair Treatment? I could not find any Pureology products in stores so I am thinking about ordering some online. It's a 1 liter bottle.

I've been using the Suave Naturals line of shampoos and conditioners because I love the fragrances - green apple, orange, etc. My hair stylist told me that of all the cheap drugstore brands, these had a pretty good pH balance for hair. I can't imagine using unscented shampoos & conditioners, I enjoy the fragrances so much and often use the shampoos as body wash, too. I have very thick coarse textured wavy hair that tends toward dryness. I brush it out really well before I wash it (I shed a lot, like a dog!). After shampooing and conditioning, I spray on a leave in conditioner (Infusium), and I let my hair air dry naturally without combing or brushing. My hair has been behaving pretty well by staying away from blow driers and styling products. I've been reading that silicone products are bad for your hair.
    Last edited by lilybelle; 22nd February 2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: typo city

I have to rotate shampoos and conditioners, or eventually the products become less effective. I love Infusium shampoo and conditioner for color treated hair (which mine is) and the price is excellent. Frekeric Fekkai is another good shampoo and conditioner brand that I like a lot, and I often include their color treated hair products in my regimen. The body shop's conditioner for color treated hair is excellent. My stylist says that basically any good salon quality products are fine with her, as long as they are specifically for color treated hair. None of the ones I've mentioned has a particularly strong scent, and certainly nothing that would interfere with my fragrance (God forbid!).

Blog Entries

I use Tressemme (sp) color revitalizer shampoo. I rarely condition my hair because I just don't think about it (plus my hair's really short so I don't think it needs it much). However, over the years I've saved sooo many of those tubes & packets of conditioner from hair dye kits. I usually only use them one or two times after I dye my hair & I just use the same tube until it runs out so I have plenty of spares.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thank you for the new ideas, everybody. The conditioners that come with L'Oreal dye are very good, I think. No regular L'Oreal conditioner comes close. I did use a profesional one once (Texture?) and it was great for the hair but awful for the scalp. I also had Infusium but I can't remember if I liked it or not.
    I know several people who could probably use dish detergent and their hair would still look beautiful.
    But I am not one of them. My hair is waist lenght, fine and colored for so long I have no idea what its real color is. It gets so knotty it takes about 30min to untangle. I have no idea how to take care of it, to be honest. Most of the time I use Pantene, Dove, Nexxus or Garnier conditioner. After reading about it here, I've been doing the CO wash thing for the past months and it works. It washes the hair but it doesn't work wonders.
    I really hope I can find a conditioner that would help me waste less time combing my hair. I think I am getting the Nanotech one.

P.S. for many years I have been trying to dye my hair flame red! Like Nukapai's. It just doesn't work!
    Last edited by darkdreams; 24th February 2009 at 06:03 PM.