Code of Conduct

Default Question for New Yorkers or those who've bought fragrances in NYC:

Dear New Yorkers:
    I'm going to be in New York after Christmas and I've decided I want to buy a Malle, a Lutens, a Le Labo, and possibly others (CB I Hate Perfume, L'Artisan, Fougere Bengal of Parfum d'Empire). Of course if one is spending full retail one wants to receive samples as well. Where is the best place to buy each of these in order to get the best samples along with the purchase? I don't want to be greedy of course but I'm sure my fellow Basenoters share my insatiable urge to smell new things! More specifically, I wonder whether to buy L'Artisan at their boutique or Aedes, Serge Lutens at Aedes or one of the larger department stores (I can't remember off hand who carries it), if it's best to just go to Aedes for the sheer variety, where is best to be able to just sit and sniff and really get to know the fragrances, etc. If you all would be so kind as to tell me about your experiences I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm only going to have one day to really get out there and go sniffing. Happy Holidays!

Thanks in advance,
    nthny
    Last edited by nthny; 20th December 2007 at 03:39 PM.

Default Re: Question for New Yorkers or those who've bought fragrances in NYC:

Aedes de Venustas is a must for the ambience alone. They have decanted samples for me upon request. Beautiful decor and extremely helpful staff. I could spend hours at Aedes, and a fortune.

Barneys is good for the Malle scents and the limited release Lutens (Chergui, Fumerie Turque, etc.). You can also sample most if not all the Le Labo scents.

thanks!

Aedes is the best for samples. They make them for you by request.I wouldn't push them beyond 3.
    The L'Artisan boutiques will always give you a few samples, purchase or no purchase. I like the one in Soho the best.
    The department stores are very greedy with their samples, this includes Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman and Saks. Malle is only at Barneys. Lutens is at Barneys, Bergdorf and Aedes. Try the Tom Ford exclusives at Bergdorf, they also have a Caron Urn counter - Tabac Blonde!
    Bond sometimes will give out samples. The original Bond Street store is beautiful. They have a few other stores in the city.
    Take the L Train out to Williamsburg and see the CB store. Williamsburg is hipster central these days.
    Have fun!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 21st December 2007 at 02:37 PM.

get samples! especially before you see the sales tax charged in NYC. (there's no tax if you buy over net) Or if you're from out of state, and I'm pretty sure this still works, you can pay the retail price and have it sent to your address and forgo the sales tax.

Enjoy the big Apple. and let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 21st December 2007 at 02:18 PM.

make the malle french lover, or whatever lame name it was changed to for the us. most amazing, under-rated scent ever.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

thanks everyone! I'll be sure to write back and report how it goes!

A trip on the subway down to Houston St. to visit Le Labo would be in order. You would really enjoy it, although it does have the ambiance of a fragrance chem lab. Terribly earnest girls in white coats, etc...

Basenotes Plus

You will get the most samples at Aedes. Ask for exactly what you want & you will receive. You'll be going to Barney's for the Malles, ask for Luis. Be sure to tell him you are a b'noter & he will fix you up with samples, if he has them. Barney's has L'Artisan & Le Labo boutiques within the fragrance area. You may use the testers freely but I've never had any luck getting samples of any Le Labo. It wasn't for lack of trying either.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

RHM, is Luis 5'6''ish and French?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Eau de PeeWee View Post
    RHM, is Luis 5'6''ish and French?
    No...he's a bit taller, dark. I do not believe he's French.
    Sorry for the delay.

How did it go?
    Last edited by RHM; 5th January 2008 at 02:58 PM.
    RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme