Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Which fragrance would you wear in the kitchen (cooking, baking)?

I've been wanting to bring this up on the boards for a while now, and now that we are firmly grounded in the middle of the holiday season I thought it might be appropriate.

I am not really fond of cooking. If I never have to cook again in my life, I wouldn't miss it. You feel me? However I am very good at it. I like to find a recipe for something I've never made before and achieve that sense of accomplishment that comes with a dish or meal that tastes delicious and impresses my friends and family. Do you know how to make Green Goddess salad dressing from scratch? I do.

Anyway...this weekend through the Christmas holiday I plan on baking lots of cookies with my nieces and nephews. My boyfriend and I are also cooking Christmas Dinner at our house for the family. Cooking, cooking, cooking. Oh joy!!

Of course being the Basenoter that I am, I'm thinking: what fragrance am I going to wear? I don't want to go scent free but then also, I don't want to clash with the baking smells (sugar, flour, spices, coconut, chocolate) and the cooking smells (ham, potates, blah blah blah) and gross everyone out in the kitchen. [[Mike - can you please wash off that Black Orchid - your nephew is getting nauseous stirring the cookie batter!]]

Some scents that come to my mind instantly are: For baking: Piment Brulant by L'Artisan Parfumeur (chocolate and red hot chili pepper), Eau Noire by Dior (celery seed and molasses/maple syrup), Borneo 1834 by Serge Lutens (dry dark chocolate), Cinnamon by Comme des Garcons (duh!) and perhaps Elixir des Merveilles by Hermes (chocolate and orange and salt). For cooking: Arabie by Serge Lutens (chicken curry and dried fruit) and maybe Paprika Brasil by Hermes (briny pickled pimentos & saffron)

Do you wear fragrances when you bake/cook and if so, what are they?

Default Re: Which fragrance would you wear in the kitchen (cooking, baking)?

I posed the question some time ago about wine and scents, as for me there is an influence on what scent you wear and what a glass of wine might taste like! (It's true!!).

However, for cooking/baking... difficult question, because I like to cook too (not so much into baking!) - but I guess it will depend on what you're cooking! Though you didn't really say what you might be cooking, but if I assume it might be ham with cloves, I think the Arabie would be very nice (I don't own it, but have sniffed it... and it will be on my buy list soon! ). I haven't smelled the others you mentioned, but in my wardrobe, I would go with Carlos Santa for men too - it reminds me of baking apple pies!
    "Faites des btises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

As a foodie, I'd consider it sacrilege to mix perfume and cooking. I must admit just the thought of it makes me uncomfortable. Any fragrance would get in the way of delighting in the smells of fresh butter, muscovado sugar, fruit, veggies and even the meat you're preparing. I think smelling is an important part of cooking and eating and when those activites take center stage, fragrance tends to intrude. If I were nosing perfumes, I would not place a slab of Munster cheese next to my bottle of Patou ph . There is, of course, a resolution to this conflict: L'Antimatière by Les Nez
    Last edited by the_good_life; 20th December 2007 at 05:22 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matire/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pntrent le verre.

I cant say I wear a specific scent for cooking or baking, but I am conscious sometimes of the effect the scent Im wearing has on how I perceive the flavour of my food that Im eating.

If I were to wear something whilst baking, it would probably be "Amour de Cacao" or "Vanille Passion" by Comptoir Sud Pacifique. These scents are positively delicious!

Maybe if I were preparing festive food with gingerbread, allspice, fresh berries and so on, Escada "Sentiment" PH might be a Christmas consideration.

I don't have Eau Noire but Sables gives off the same kind of "maple syrup" vibe and that's what I wear in the kitchen.

Opium pour homme reminds me of caramelized potatoes, and that goes well when making dips or maybe fondue.

Quimbaya smells of hot and sour soup which is one of my favourites.

I think it's more a matter of what I wouldn't choose: leathers, heavy orientals or green scents. I'd go for something floral or citrus; something like Ayala Moriel's Zohar ( honey, orange flower and citrus ) would work perfectly.

I do not select a particular fragrance to wear for the kitchen. The olfactory experience of preparation is one of the things I enjoy most about cooking. I would rather go unscented in the kitchen so as not to interfere or dilute the scent emanating from my culinary creations. My favorite dishes are of Indian, Thai, Italian, and Southwestern origin. I use plenty of fresh vegetables, meats, and spices. Fresh Thai basil, chile peppers, curry, saffron, cumin, coriander, fresh ginger, and garlic to name a few aromatic ingredients I use. I love the smell of red curry paste simmering with chicken, golden raisins, and chopped dates.

If I were compelled to select a scent to blend with/complement my cooking, SL Arabie and L'Artisan Safran Troublant would top the list.
    Last edited by Sloan; 20th December 2007 at 07:50 PM. Reason: redundancy

Au natural for me..........nothing better in the kitchen than just the smell of food.

Now.....having a glass of wine while cooking.......a match made in heaven!
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I don't get cleaned up til I'm done with the cooking.

If you're baking, how about Etro Heliotrope?

Basenotes Institution

I forgot about Safran Troublant by L'Artisan...yes this is positively foody on my skin (in the vein of Arabie), perhaps more so than Paprika Brasil.

I also understand many of you and your reluctance to not scent yourself at all, when in the kitchen. But c'mon two days of no scent...I'll explode or something, no?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th December 2007 at 09:38 PM.

If you're baking, I'd recommend JHL, Safran Troublant, or Pi; If you're making spicy, aromatic, savory food, I'd go with something honeyed like Chergui. I understand the reservations of some regarding wearing a scent while cooking, but after all, one doesn't prepare one dish at a time. All the components of the meal work together olfactorily, as does the wine, so why not a fragrance also? I wouldn't hesitate to cook and/or eat in front of a roaring fire, and that's awfully aromatic!

Hey, I just noticed I hit the 100 post mark. I think I'll go douse myself in scent and prepare a gourmet meal!
    Last edited by ActingTall; 20th December 2007 at 09:57 PM.
    My current top 10: Richard James; Clive Christian No. 1 for Men; L'Artisan Voleur de Roses; Creed Aventus, Erolfa, Santal Imperial, Virgin Island Water, and Windsor; Serge Lutens Chergui and Gris Clair

"It is never to late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

I don't think there's an inappropriate time to wear a vetiver, so perhaps that colors my reply, but wear a vetiver! There's nothing in the kitchen that really smells like it so you know it's of a different smell universe from anything you're making.

For me though, I had a baking day on a day when I first tested Le Dandy by D'Orsay. I loved the rum and honey note that screamed out of me as I was kneading dough. I thought this is an experience I must find reason to repeat.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

The professional advice I was given before working in the kitchen of Charley Trotter's (Chicago) for one night was: no perfume, after shave, edt, etc. while in the kitchen.

Smile Re: Which fragrance would you wear in the kitchen (cooking, baking)?

Bay Rum.

The only fragrance I have that would mix with food (that I can think of) is Sables. I wear straight sandalwood oil frequently, and that is nice for cooking as well. I do a lot of cooking.

Well,

that's a difficult question, and I think I'd have to answer: none, if possible.

I understand we all think of fragrances as necessary, but when it comes to cooking, it will only interfere with the cooking and the smell of the food.

It's like going to a wine testing event and contemplating which scent to wear that does not or does best in interfering with your (and others!) sense of smell.

Really, do yourself a favor and let people around you enjoy the smell of fresh bananofee cake instead of your A*men

You can always reapply after dinner. Having to smell someone else's scent during dinner, so matter what scent, will make most people nauseous imho. Even the best, most expensive scent will not be appreciated by other people during dinner, and I don't think it's fair towards other people if we - the scent extremists - force scents on people during cooking or dining.

You wouldn't eat food if it was sprayed with perfume, so other people don't like your fragrance mixing with the food they gotta eat.
    Last edited by Stereotomy; 21st December 2007 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    You wouldn't eat food if it was sprayed with perfume, so other people don't like your fragrance mixing with the food they gotta eat.
    Nice suggestion! Someone should start a thread on which fragrance to use on certain food.

I will spray Amen in the coffee, L'Artisan's Bois Farine on the deserts, Aqua di Gio on the salad, Angel Schlesser homme on the curry and Yohji Homme in the wine.

Which perfume to use for seasoning the turkey?

You wouldn't want to wear fragrances while cooking. Most of them wouldn't blend well with aromas of cooked food and it could distort your sense of smell.

Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille
    Il Profumo Chocolat Amere
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

'Fraid I'm one of the barbarians and would cheerfully mix perfume and food scents, but with care. And as to what would go with turkey- Borsari Macchia Mediterranea bears a great resemblance to poultry seasoning.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749