Code of Conduct

Default The Powdery Showdown: Touch, Kanon, or Anucci?

I've been buying cologne like crazy the past few weeks, and I've learned I LOVE a powdery dry-down. My absolute favorite so far is Jockey Club by Caswell-Massey. It has an incredible powder smell that I just can't get enough of.

But, always striving for more, I'd like opinions on three final contenders for the title:

Kanon by Scannon
    Touch by Fred Hayman
    Anucci by Anucci

One thing I've read on here is that Canoe and Clubman by Pinaud also have a powdery dry-down. I now own both and for some reason, I don't get powder on either one. I must have a different definition of Talcum Powder (?).

At any rate, I'd love opinions on the above three as they relate to Powder. Get them all (they're cheap)? Don't get any of them and just stay with Jockey Club (if it ain't broken, don't fix it!)?

Thanks!

Default Re: The Powdery Showdown: Touch, Kanon, or Anucci?

You can always just stick with Jockey Club, you bet. Still, you have a good point about the three you've listed in that, well, they're all very affordable.

I'd avoid Touch unless you really like amber, though. I love it, but not everyone does. (Read the recent thread on Hayman's Touch and its remarkable similarity in scent to Neutrogena's Rainbath.)

Kanøn has a harsh chemical smell I really don't care for; however, it's one of my other half's favorites.

I never get tired of Anucci -- it's one of the best buys out there.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 20th December 2007 at 09:25 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Wish I could offer opinions on the scents you have listed, Atrac, but alas have not smelled any of them.

Seeing as spring and summer are (hopefully soon) on their way, I just came across a scent that fits the season and your love for a powdery drydown. If you haven't gotten a chance to smell it yet, I strongly suggest checking out Acqua di Parma's Colonia. Fresh lemons into a soft and powdery rose heart. I gave a more detailed look into my initial impressions of this scent here - http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=207149 - if you are interested.

Just thought of you when I smelled the drydown, so I figured I should call it to your attention.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

for me, the king (or victorian queen if I may) is Penhaligon's Hammam Bouquet. Heck it even smells like a diaper.

I don't know how long lasting Jockey Club is?

But I do know that Annuci will last you all day - very strong stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Wish I could offer opinions on the scents you have listed, Atrac, but alas have not smelled any of them.

Seeing as spring and summer are (hopefully soon) on their way, I just came across a scent that fits the season and your love for a powdery drydown. If you haven't gotten a chance to smell it yet, I strongly suggest checking out Acqua di Parma's Colonia. Fresh lemons into a soft and powdery rose heart. I gave a more detailed look into my initial impressions of this scent here - http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=207149 - if you are interested.

Just thought of you when I smelled the drydown, so I figured I should call it to your attention.
    Why thank you. I'll be sure to check it out when I can. Where do I find it in a store in the US?

At any rate, I'll let you know when I test it.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by atrac; 10th March 2008 at 04:50 AM.

No idea where you can find it in a store, sadly. I don't have a store that even offers Creeds within 100 miles.

I've heard you can e-mail them though and get free samples. I got my sample from a generous B'Noter, but might end up e-mailing the company as I am curious in the rest of their line now.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Hi Atrac ,, I have recently received a selection of Cassey-Maxwell samples ... I'll do a side by side test with Kanon for you real soon .. though I must say i don't get overbearing powder in my Kanon ,, and I know you had issues with longevity & sillage with yours .... did you get another bottle ? .. anyway more later .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

If you want powder, of the baby variety, you need Burberry Brit.
    Check out my fragrances for sale at Crystal Flacon - NEW! Updated - Click Here!
    Creed, Bond No.9, Montale, Frederic Malle, Le Labo, Amouage
    Niche Fragrances / Women's Fragrances / Men's Fragrances

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Hi Atrac ,, I have recently received a selection of Cassey-Maxwell samples ... I'll do a side by side test with Kanon for you real soon .. though I must say i don't get overbearing powder in my Kanon ,, and I know you had issues with longevity & sillage with yours .... did you get another bottle ? .. anyway more later .
    It's very odd. I haven't tried my Kanon in a few months, so based on this thread's revival and your comments I decided to try my bottle again. BIG difference. I'm not sure what's going on but I smell it a lot better now. It's actually quite nice! Like you said, not a lot of powder in this one initially, although I do get a powder smell a little while after drydown. But it's definitely a lot more noticeable now. It must have something to do with the weather? It's not as dry here as it was when I originally tried it.

Now that I can smell it, you'll find that it bares little if no similarity to Jockey Club.

I'm relieved...I don't have to hate it anymore!
    Last edited by atrac; 10th March 2008 at 08:48 AM.

Royal Copenhagen is a nice, powdery scent that I would recommend.

I like Anucci the best. Saddly, my dillards quit carrying it years ago.

I got a big bottle of Royal Copenhagen if anyone wants to swap, trade, or buy. PM me.

And yes, it is very powdery.

Have you tried Bvulgari, the blue bottle one. This one is insanely powdery. It's quite feminine and could be unisex. Its still a good scent those.

If you want powder, don't forget two classics, both with terrifically powdery dry-downs: Old Spice and Blue Stratos. Comfort scents both! Best of all, you'll pick them up for next to nothing!

Is Blue Stratos a UK only scent now? It looks like it used to be from Shulton but I don't seem to find it in the US. Frankly this is the first I've heard of it.

Definitely am stocked up on Old Spice.

I made the mistake of trying Bvulgari Blue NOTTE, which didn't strike me as powdery at all. I'll need to find the "real" one.

How about Lagerfeld classic?
    Very nice powdery scent!
    Ce message provient du Québec!

I had an old bottle of splash Stetson, which I remembered as being powdery. The first 15 or twenty minutes is really bad, but then it's a nice powdery scent, with a touch of vanilla. I don't know if the age is a factor, but it's so cheap for a small bottle you can give it a shot, so long as you won't freak out during the first few minutes.

Smile Re: The Powdery Showdown: Touch, Kanon, or Anucci?

Guerlain L'Instant.. Quality talculm powder smell

.................................................. ...................I'm gonna memorize your name.. and then i'm gonna throw my head away!!........:bounce:.............

Anucci? You mean that one in the shape of a golf ball? Since when is this a powdery frag?
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
    Anucci? You mean that one in the shape of a golf ball? Since when is this a powdery frag?
    You know, when I saw this thread reappear today the first thing that hit me was "none of these are powdery."

Now that I'm "older and wiser" and have owned all three, of course.

In fact, if you see my for sale items, you'll note that I've also decided to move on from them.

Anucci is not really my style. Something I didn't notice when I tested it was there is a definite "grass" smell to it (actual grass, not pot!). It also ends up giving me a migraine. Unfortunately, I get them easily from frags so I'd rather move on.

kanon is nice & light, but honestly I just got bored with it. I put it in my for sale list just for the heck of it, even though I don't mind owning it.

I really like Fred Hayman's Touch. A lot in fact. But I bought too many bottles of it and I have to be realistic.
    Last edited by atrac; 7th June 2008 at 01:11 AM.

Ah, I see. If it gives you migraine it's a sure sign to get rid of it. Lucky for me I never had this happen with any frag.

Yet...
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature