Code of Conduct

Default Original Vetiver - it lasts TOO LONG

This stuff is ridiculous. It smells so good but I put one spray on each arm and two days, a bath and two showers later I could still smell it interfering with my new choice of scent. I can't wear it any more because it stays beyond its welcome. Fantastic if you are a one scent guy......
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Default Re: Original Vetiver - it lasts TOO LONG

It is one that requires a "chisel" to remove. I have a problem with scents that don't wash off as well.
    We are likely in the minority because we wear so many different scents and rarely the same one two days in a row.
    Don't get me wrong, I love longevity but it's gotta come off at some point to make room for the next one!

Just spray on some Arabie and OV will be gone in seconds ... but now you have another problem...doh!
    -

Very true, one of the reasons why this was my one and only favorite Creed.

Need to pick this one up soon for Spring/Summer wear.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Just spray on some Arabie and OV will be gone in seconds ... but now you have another problem...doh!

Ain't it the truth -- and who the hell wants to smell like the Good Ship Lollipop for three friggin' days?

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

i agree with the ov assessment...its too much. i like it but its a little too green for too long.

Your right OV lasts very , very longon me also.
    But in general, most Creed last long on me. The shortest lasting one on me is MI, but still good for an hour of 2,3.

So, short longevity is a problem for most, but long longevity too? Confusing...
    What's the ideal longevity for a fragrance then? 4 hrs?

Banned

Yes, it lasts ages and ages. The first time I was completely overwhelmed by it...

Say what?! My OV barely lasts two hours.

Anyone want to trade?

Seriously! I have a 4oz bottle 60% left by now - I used the rest up pretty fast! I'd love some OV that lasts for days like you guys describe!
    Last edited by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR; 21st December 2007 at 02:48 AM.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Quote Originally Posted by GAIVS IVLIVS CAESAR View Post
    Say what?! My OV barely lasts two hours.

Anyone want to trade?
    It might be a skin thing; everyone's different. I've read a lot of people complain that Dzing! and Nostalgia don't last, where as they have good longevity on me. On the other hand, a fragrance I sampled for it's reputed longevity - Profumum Olibanum - lasted twenty minutes on me at most.

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Your right OV lasts very , very longon me also.
    But in general, most Creed last long on me. The shortest lasting one on me is MI, but still good for an hour of 2,3.

So, short longevity is a problem for most, but long longevity too? Confusing...
    What's the ideal longevity for a fragrance then? 4 hrs?
    I think longevity to be a good thing, usually. It's when the scent just will not leave, even with a thorough scrubbing that it is intrusive.
    I actually have this problem more so with Vetiver Extraordinare and Hove Parfumer's Vetivert. I know Vetiver is a potent basenote but I have to wonder what type of "fixative" might be in some scents to keep them alive on the skin?
    I know Joop! has hydrogenated castor oil and that Gendarme has glycerin but I question some of the other more potent/high sillage scents just as I wonder why some others don't last at all. Is it just a question of potent basenotes or is it a "fixative" of some type or maybe just a higher concentration or quality of oils or maybe all of the above?

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    It might be a skin thing; everyone's different. I've read a lot of people complain that Dzing! and Nostalgia don't last, where as they have good longevity on me. On the other hand, a fragrance I sampled for it's reputed longevity - Profumum Olibanum - lasted twenty minutes on me at most.
    I suspect it might be my bottle. I remember when I tested OV for the first time I felt like it was really long lasting - but often when we try things the first time they seem to last alot longer because the smell is so unfamilliar I think.

Anyhow I'm up for trades!
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

I have the same problem with Himalaya... just stays too long. I even scrub my wrists and it stays! Like some of the others who have posted, I like to have a distinct SOTD and SOTE!! So while Himalaya is still one of my favorites, I don't wear it so often as I once did.

I have never tried OV - but I don't think I would buy it now...
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

I wish I liked the smell of Vetiver. I have a decant and I noticed that it lasts and lasts on me. I have a big problem having frags last on me, but Vetiver is one that lasts on me a long, long time. It's great to read about Himalaya.....I just ordered that and should have it by Monday. Hopefully it lasts a long time as well!!!

I agree with you on this one; OV is certainly big on longevity. Whereas I really love the opening and mid-notes, there is something in the base that I just couldn't get past. I found that it was just too sharp/pungent of a drydown.
    You are not your perfume.