Code of Conduct

Default How do you dissolve absolutes/resinous EOs or chemicals when making a perfume oil.

I have a tin of benzoin absolute that comes as a hard substance. I also have absolutes that are gummy and resinous. I want to blend perfume OILS -- that is, I want to use NO ALCOHOL. So how do I get this benzoin absolute into jojoba oil? Do I have to melt it first? And if so, how?

ETA: And what about aroma chemicals that are only soluble in alcohol or dipropylene glycol, etc?
    Last edited by bigpharma; 29th November 2007 at 05:15 AM.

Default Re: How do you dissolve absolutes/resinous EOs when making a perfume oil.

You will need to warm the benzoin. Try doing this in a double boiler type of situation. Or you can take a coffee mug, fill it with water, nuke the mug of water so the water gets hot, and then place the jar holding the benzoin in the mug making sure that the water does not go over the edge of the benzoin jar. Do this gently because you don't want to cook the benzoin. But by all means, NEVER put your fragrance material in the microwave.

All that said, you will eventually need to dilute your fragrance materials whether you are using jojoba oil, ethanol, dipropylene glycol, etc. Pure fragrance materials are much too concentrated to use full strength. Consider that most Eaux de Toilette contain only between 5% to 10% of the fragrance material. There are other concentration guidelines that you can reference by searching on Perfume in Wikipedia although the guidelines shown are merely that - guidelines

Default Re: How do you dissolve absolutes/resinous EOs when making a perfume oil.

Thanks very much! That's extremely helpful, and yes, I do dilute my oils with jojoba oil.

There are some substances that won't dissolve in vegetable oils - sadly, benzoin is one of them.

Default Re: How do you dissolve absolutes/resinous EOs or chemicals when making a perfume oil

don't know ...but I know what you are trying to accomplish- maybe if you got yourself a mortar and pestle and ground them as fine as you could, then added them to your carrier oil and simmered them? this has worked for me with dragon's blood resin - added it and other things(oils and spices) to a fragrance burner and created a new scent- let it simmer for about 1 tea lite candle- maybe it will work or not?? Let us know what you find out!!

Default Re: How do you dissolve absolutes/resinous EOs or chemicals when making a perfume oil

The addition of heat helps dissolve some things - a cup warmer on the low setting provides a safe heat source.

I find benzoin tincture much easier to use as it comes in a liquid form. I usually mix the aromatherapy blend (essential oils with a carrier blend besides jojoba oil) in room temperature before cooling it in the fridge. Then I filter it with two coffee filter papers to get rid of any impurities.
    Last edited by bottledupemotions; 21st December 2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention a carrier oil besides jojoba oil as jojoba oil will solidfy in the fridge.

as someone else suggested you can put the resin in the fridge to harden it so that it will grind up and make a powder, then you can infuse the oil with the powder. Use a very gentle heat to help but time is probably the best bet. The resin will probably not dissolve with out using alcohol but the oil will become infused with the fragrance and may then be strained.