Code of Conduct

Default SotD - TGIF!!! Friday 21st December 2007

Taking it easy today...Christmas party at the office and last day at work.
    Then I'm taking 11 days off, yippie!

Good to read your son is feeling better, lievje! A good book and mama's love!

Dee, how are you feeling today?

To fully celebrate, I am wearing my beloved

CHERGUI
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Default Re: SotD - TGIF!!! Friday 21st December 2007

CHERGUI for me too!

Good morning !

Alliage - Estée Lauder
    Wishlist is pointless.

How I envy you, my LIB.

Last minute preparations and worries over here. Christmas lunch and Christmas party at the office. And I want everything to be perfect. Bad habit

Chanel No.5
    extrait to match today's outfit.

Have a lovely Friday!
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Wearing that Chanel tweed again, R? Best of luck with the preparations. We all know how stressful that can be.

TGIF!! Ah, the holidays have arrived at last. Perfect.

Not wearing anything yet, but I plan to visit Goutal and try out their new Orientalistes... will report back
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Annick Goutal's Rose Absolue is my chosen companion today.

Prada Infustion d'Iris again for me. Stuck in waiting on the cable guy and also the arrivial of a package which should have came yesterday...
    DONNA

I am still in bed. I haven't chosen my SOTD yet. It will be either Narciso Rodriguez or Infusion d'Iris, I suspect.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

I am with LIB in taking off from work until Jan 2. ahhhhh...

SotD will be Jacques Bogart Bogart
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Kisses to all recuperating, or still ailing.
    Up early for a looong day.
    Neil Morris' Dark Season- all my friends on Sniffa are enjoying, so I thought I'd go for solidarity.
    VERY Xmassy- I think I mailed out a LOT of samps of this.

Be well, friends.

Mitsouko, opened the vintage bottle.

Basenotes Institution

parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garcons

Blog Entries

Twins with Twolf today - Mitsouko
    (inspired by the thread listing all the folks here who sadly can't learn to love her) and happy that my chemistry makes her glorious.

Lady in Black/Buni - sorry didn't see your early post question - am feeling much better, thank you and thanks again to the other very supportive folks here. Still fielding calls from distressed students, and immersed in grading finals.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 21st December 2007 at 12:57 PM. Reason: adding on
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Brought forth the lovely Jasmin Impeatrice Eugenie by Creed...floating on a redolent stream of sandalwood....feeling a bit like an Empress
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Quote Originally Posted by Clemmie View Post
    I am still in bed. I haven't chosen my SOTD yet. It will be either Narciso Rodriguez or Infusion d'Iris, I suspect.
    Well I lied. In the end, because I have a patchouli fetish at the moment, I plumped for Coco Mademoiselle, and it smells divine on me for some reason today. I really must try to find Aveda Patchouli oil as well.

It's a funny frag, CM. Sometimes I love it, sometimes not so much. Today, I am loving it.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Mitsouko, opened the vintage bottle.
    I've been reading that the pure perfume and the vintage Mitsouko smell nothing like the stuff on the shelves today. The one I have is an EDT that I bought from ebay and it only cost me £18, so I'm thinking it's a fake. Will have to try the real thing.
    Last edited by Clemmie; 21st December 2007 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Golden Aoud is nice! It is my third aoud that I have ever tested and I can't find the notes for this fragrance. I suspect that it comes from Nancy's (Fishbone) bottle -- to my knowledge there are only a few bottles of it available in private collections in the USA -- and here what I detect in it: aoud (not strong, but still resinous, medicinal), soft mellow spices (cardamom, ginger, nutmeg, something else I would use in cooking), light flowers that actually make it slightly cool (orange/lime/lemon blossom, orchid, hyacinth, almost broom-like note), no roses, light ambrette seed (soapy, salty, dusty) and sandalwood (vibrant, warm and fresh). The general character is light, dry and gentle, staying close to skin. I think that Lady_in_Black would like this, but it is way too light and demure.
    Inspired by TWolf's example - I dug out my sample of Montale's Golden Aoud. I wonder if there is some saffron at the top as well.....

I don't get the vast array of notes that TWolf does. My unsophisticated nose essentially equates oud + flowers = roses unless something screams "This is not a Rose"!!!! On a certain level - it reminds me of Montale's Aoud Damascus. may have to do a comparison sniff this weekend......

Unlike the other Montale Aouds I've tried - this one gets close to the skin very quickly (especially in this colder weather). I put this on about 45 minutes ago and can barely smell it now.

Chaya - I hope your job interview went well yesterday. Keep us informed!!!!
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

Guerlains Vetiver Extreme, all the way from Canada

Thanks Graffham!

Hello, everyone!

Wearing the gorgeous Profumum Santalum today.

Lievje, so glad to hear your son is on the mend!
    Chaya, keep us posted on the job, and you smell YUMMY!
    Everyone who's got lots of time off now, I'm jealous! But am also taking off a couple of days around the new year myself, so have some anticipatory relaxing to do.

Enjoy, everyone.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 21st December 2007 at 11:41 AM. Reason: got my languages confused
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Yum, yum and more yum!
    You all smell so good!

Today is my last day in the office,
    before the holidays, just like LIB .
    Although, my boss told me to take today off too .
    What a nice guy!!!!!!

I woke up with a wonderful scent in my nostrils;
    hubby applied some Caron Pour Un Homme
    for work. So now, I'm wrapping my presents with a
    tiny bit of Caron Pour Un Homme wafting up
    from the backs of my palms. I'll be off to the office with
    gifts in tow to wish everyone Happy Holidays and then
    off to do a little bit more shopping.

No SotD yet, but a fabulous SotM .
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    parfums*PARFUMS Series 3 Incense: Kyoto by Comme des Garcons
    Mike!!

I was feeling incense-y today too (it's cool and rainy here) and reached for:
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Ah, wearing a brand new amber scent with snow outside! The sensual and warm Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche

You were right, eric, this is one amazing scent.
    Last edited by BrothaG; 21st December 2007 at 12:29 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Got up late today and am preparing for hubbie's work's do
    tonight (hairdresser's, nails, face pack etc.) - need all the
    help I can get!! Wearing Prada Infusion d'Iris and loving it.

Starting out in Tea for Two.
    Sniff and let sniff.

This new old Mitsouko's top notes are bad -- whoever had it before me probably did not know a thing about temperatures and humidity, etc. However, Clemmie, I will be able to send you some to try together with the others we spoke about.

My boss just called and said they need me at work today -- I guess some other Santa's Elf had too much eggnogg last night! Took a quick dip into the bathtub and still feel Mitsouko, the way she is supposed to be: singing in the lower octave, luring, velvety.

Agree with sakecat: that other spice in Golden Aoud IS saffron (little orange brownish threads you put in your rice to make it look yellow?).

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    This new old Mitsouko's top notes are bad ...
    Agree with sakecat: that other spice in Golden Aoud IS saffron (little orange brownish threads you put in your rice to make it look yellow?).
    That's a shame. I've smelled musty, spoiled topnotes in vintage perfumes too many times. It's worth waiting out sometimes, though.
    Montale uses that combination of spices in many of his perfumes. It's sweet and salty at the same time. I think it was dominant in Aoud Queen Rose, Vetiver des Sables, and present even in Attar. I don't know what it is, but I read that it includes saffron.

rtamara, I love that Jasmine Imperiatrice Eugenie too.

SOTD - Madini Maderas de Oriente. It's supposed to be Atlas cedar, but (like all Madinis) it is made of different ingredients in a different combination than most western perfumes, so I give up trying to decipher the aroma. Madini--a delightful departure from Western perfumery...
    Last edited by purplebird7; 21st December 2007 at 05:45 PM.

Opium today. I've had a tradition of Flowerbomb Friday, but lately I'm not so enthralled with the Bomb.

And yes, Opium does smell like Christmas!

Party today at work, then 4 days off! Lots of time to lavish many samples up and down the arms.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

bleu autumn haze

I'm testing Parfum d'Empire Eau de Glorie today.

Top Notes: Lemon, Bergamot, Orange, Neroli, Rosemary, Lavender
    Middle Notes: Aniseed, Tea, Licorice
    Base Notes: Leather, Oakmoss, Tobacco, Incense
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by purplebird7 View Post
    That's a shame. I've smelled musty, spoiled topnotes in vintage perfumes too many times. It's worth waiting out sometimes, though......
    Oh Wolfie - what a shame! And I'll bet you were RULLY looking forward to that experience too. But I agree with The Bird - "waiting out" can prove rewarding. I had the same experience with vintage La Rose Jacqueminot and after about forty five minutes the old musty notes sent away and the rose shimmered like new. Hope this happens for you.

(Meanwhile I've added some CBIHP Lavender Tea to my Avignon - WHEEEEEEE!)
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

I don't have many big bottles to spray with abandon, so am wearing Burberry again. I love reading these posts, it gives me ideas of what to try some day.

Today is also my last day of work for two weeks. Maybe I'll be able to get out to the stores and test some new scents!
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

Black Violet by Tom Ford

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Polo Double Black.
    Gary

Je Reviens COUTURE - Lil Miss asked why I smell so good

Tinks, please describe how it differs from the original.

I can see that I must try the Annick Goutal amber.
    But today for me: Ava Luxe Sweet amber wood
    I am so enjoying the Ava Luxe decants, but understand from the boards that Ava Luxe is closed down--temporarily? Will someone kindly explain to this new Ava Luxe fan the disappearance and the hoped-for return?

Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG View Post
    Ah, wearing a brand new amber scent with snow outside! The sensual and warm Annick Goutal Ambre Fétiche

You were right, eric, this is one amazing scent.
    I'm glad you like it too BrothaG.
    I like the combination of the sweet notes with the dry incense and leather.
    Very good to endure the cold winter.

I was afraid you wouldn't like it, cause it's totally differend than Eau d'Hadrien or Mandragore.
    Last edited by eric; 21st December 2007 at 01:59 PM.

Dior pour homme for me. Have a nice day!
    Some books are undeservedly forgotten, none are undeservedly remembered - W.H. Auden

I was going to continue my sampling today, but inspired by this thread, I'm now in my beloved MITSOUKO.
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Today I'm sampling Hermes Eau des Merveilles again, trying to decide if I like it enough for a bottle.

Very Michael Kors... my colleague thinks it is a very nice scent, but I still prefer the original over the new limited on.

Today I have also decanted by Femme by Rochas AND Eau de Camille and gave them to my colleagues as Christmas small gifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    ....I am so enjoying the Ava Luxe decants, but understand from the boards that Ava Luxe is closed down--temporarily? Will someone kindly explain to this new Ava Luxe fan the disappearance and the hoped-for return?
    Hey Therese!!! And welcomewelcome!!!

You are not alone in your adoration and grieving!! Serena has kinda gone more into the jewelry line but you can still find her stuff here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5163414 (she's on vakay until after the hols)

I infer from other posts that if you e-mail her with a request for a fave (complete list here: http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/basenotes.cgi) she'll do her best to accommodate.

Happy sniffing!

I'm sampling Parfums de Nicolai Cologne Nature, today. Thought the lime and linden blossom combo would be good for cleaning house and running errands. The top notes smell like I was sent an old sample, but it did that the first time I tried it and dried down fairly well. Fun to try, but not FBW for me. Have a great day and hope those of you not doing well will feel better soon!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Hové Rue Royale.
    Enjoy some leisure, people.

Happy Friday!

I'm wearing KM Paname this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Taolady View Post
    Hey Therese!!! And welcomewelcome!!!

You are not alone in your adoration and grieving!! Serena has kinda gone more into the jewelry line but you can still find her stuff here: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id...ion_id=5163414 (she's on vakay until after the hols)

I infer from other posts that if you e-mail her with a request for a fave (complete list here: http://www.basenotes.net/cgi-bin/basenotes.cgi) she'll do her best to accommodate.

Happy sniffing!
    I am encouraged by her new site design and the new labels on the bottles from the Etsy site. So she will probably be doing perfumes in some form for a while!

As for my scent of the day, I still smell the sampling I did last night. A new love for Zibeline who loves animalics but often finds Bandit too extreme, and can't do Rasa extreme at all! I was not expecting to like this one and it was the sample that my slightly perfume averse colleague picked out as "wow, this one is fabulous"! So I wore it to bed, and am still loving it over ten hours later.

My SoTD has cardamom, geranium leaves, roses and other spices all over a delectable and long lasting base of musks, sandalwood, leather (!) and civet. This is marketed as a man's scent and I'm sure it would be great on men. That said it's great on me too. It's what I wanted Bandit to be, it is the new elegant leather animalic of my dreams.

Djinn (the EDP)

Isn't it nice when you find a line you just love?
    Last edited by Zibeline; 21st December 2007 at 05:03 PM.

Today has been rather hectic!!! My sotd was Bois d'iris.Now wearing Jicky edt as my sote.

Quote Originally Posted by Zibeline View Post
    My SoTD has cardamom, geranium leaves, roses and other spices all over a delectable and long lasting base of musks, sandalwood, leather (!) and civet. This is marketed as a man's scent and I'm sure it would be great on men. That said it's great on me too. It's what I wanted Bandit to be, it is the new elegant leather animalic of my dreams.

Djinn (the EDP)

Isn't it nice when you find a line you just love?
    :bounce: Yay for Djinn! :bounce: I bought Djinn as part of Michael Storer's early December special, and I love it! Thank you, Michael!
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    ...I have also decanted by Femme by Rochas AND Eau de Camille and gave them to my colleagues as Christmas small gifts.
    Oh, very nice!
    Good choices!

Brother can't find my little pouch of samples; it has my only little drop of Nuit de Noel!
    Found Liz Zorn Pink Praline in my purse. DEE-LISH
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

I'm so far over on the western edge of Basenotes, that if I sleep in, I'm still figuring out morning scents while reading about many of your evenings. Decided yesterday that Estee Lauder Private Collection, while assertive is polite enough to go dancing. Slept in Les Nereides Imperial Opoponax- kinda like Shalimar in fuzzy bunny slippers.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Liz Zorn is an iconoclastic angel.
    She has taught me more about nuts-and bolts than I can estimate...

Another spectacular woman is Jenny, of Perfume-making.
    Funny, articulate, loving, and generous with sharing what she knows...

We're really lucky, you know.
    These women really enrich our lives- never mind educate us.

Prada Infusion d'Iris . I almost bought this one last month in Nordstroms and talked myself out of it! Now I'm crying....thanks to dimples and another one of her lovely, generous samples Looks like I need to add this one to "THE LIST".

Well it turned out that Caron Pour Un Homme
    smelled so good that all I could do was apply
    some more, smile and enjoy.
    So my SotD is Caron Pour Un Homme,
    and it just might turn into my SotE as well.

Lets hear what hubby thinks when he gets home .
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Jacques Fath Yang as SotE..wow.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Alien & Aveda Patchouli
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Emporio Armani Diamonds!

(And why is this getting such bad reviews on MUA? Is it really that awful? I bought this a few weeks ago, and think it's a great everyday scent.)

SOTD was Opium edt. SOTE is Opium parfum. You're all stricken by the cleverness of it, aren't you!?

BTW, and OT, just got back from Sweeny Todd and it was stunning.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Testing Montale Blue Amber this evening.
    Sniff and let sniff.