Code of Conduct

Default Annick Goutal's Orientalistes-Tried 'Em!!

The 3 new incense-based perfumes by AG just arrived at my local perfumery, so I trekked downtown to try them. I don't care for AG scents in general because many have a base that turns kind of salty/fishy on me. So I'm not the best reviewer for these. But here goes:
    Encens Flamboyante- a nice frankincense, but it's gone in 5 minutes, leaving a slightly salty skin scent that disappeared quickly as well. I was disappointed.
    Ambre Fetiche- if you love labdanum, you'll probably love this. It's kind of like Black Cashmere's demure blonde cousin. I enjoyed it, it really lasts, but 125 euros was just way too much. Excellent quality labdanum absolute can be had for pennies per ml. Why is this so costly? There are no discernable florals.
    Still, it's very warm and pretty.
    Myrrhe Ardente- I didn't like the opening, but the myrrh is very high quality and this lasts forever, as myrrh does. There's not much else besides the myrrh, just a little sweetening. I call it a second to L'Erbolario's Myrrhae, still my favorite. Again, why the high cost? Myrrh is not terribly expensive these days.
    Overall, I won't be buying any of them, but for fans of the line, they seem to be worthy additions and are certainly worth a test run. Any insights on the high cost? (around $200 per 100ml)

Default Re: Annick Goutal's Orientalistes-Tried 'Em!!

That's a bit much $$$ for me, too, but thanks for the reviews! They aren't the type of scents I am normally attracted to, but I saw that the Ambre Fetiche was getting high marks from some on MUA, if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by beachroses; 21st December 2007 at 04:36 PM.

I'm a-waitin' for my handsome mailman to deliver AF and MA.[ His name is Brendan- only like 2/3 of the boys in South Boston [ aka, THE IRISH RIVIERA]
    It's my booby-prize, for being a prize booby lately...

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    I'm a-waitin' for my handsome mailman to deliver AF and MA.[ His name is Brendan- only like 2/3 of the boys in South Boston [ aka, THE IRISH RIVIERA]
    It's my booby-prize, for being a prize booby lately...
    Is a "prize booby" like a "prize bubby (jewish grandmother)"?

Because I'm not sure if you're a grandmother, but if you are, I'm sure you're a prize.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Quote Originally Posted by pellen View Post
    Is a "prize booby" like a "prize bubby (jewish grandmother)"?

Because I'm not sure if you're a grandmother, but if you are, I'm sure you're a prize.
    Thanks, sweets. Not a bubbe yet- but I'd like to be...
    Still, 17 and 20 year old boys ought NOT to be knocking anyone up right now...

NOW HAND ME OVER THAT CANINE.
    NOW.

Basenotes Institution

I have not liked any of the Annick Goutal's that I've tested (although Comdiva just sent me some Eau de Hadrien to try and everyone goes bananas about it...).

The fact that they've venture into luxury incense scents got my attention, but your reviews are disappointing. If I run into them I'll smell them, of course. But I'm not holding my breath.

Mikey-mike:

These are good.
    I just got mine.
    However, give me a pm, and I'll send you our latest amber mod- I think it's every bit as good as AG's-
    And that's pure nose, not ego.
    If you like ambers, you'll swoon for this one.
    Spicy, gorgeous.

You can hardly call me an Annick Goutal fan since I only like Eau d'Hadrien and Eau du Sud.
    So, I tested Les Orientalistes without much expectations.

Ambre Fétiche: nice enough but I smell some Iris in it. 'Nice enough': the kiss of death for every scent, no? And I have too many great Amber fragrances already. The Ambre Fétiche is not worth the pricetag in my opinion.

Myrrhe Ardente: there is one incomparable myrrh fragrance for me. "La Myrrhe" from Serge Lutens. Myrrhe Ardente smells somewhat like the Lutens without reaching the same heights.

Encens Flamboyant: I got a bottle for Christmas
    There is a remarkable boozy note in the heart that reminded me of the topnote from Ambre Russe. Quite puzzling.
    It lasts longer on me than Messe de Minuit and Passage d'Enfer. But what really made me love this scent was the fact that it transported me back in time. The Roman Catholic church of my youth, High Mass at Christmas and Easter and a young girl greedily inhaling the thick clouds of delicious encens.

It seems they indeed used the "Vieille églisse" encens.

It is a scent that is also beautiful on a man. But for me it was the memory that made me love it. Others without that memory will judge this fragrance in a different way.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

I completely understand your impressions.
    And, for me, memory is paramount-
    I have bottles of things I won't wear, but they are sacred to me-
    I'm a truly sentimental slob.

Geographically, so much is unbalanced, my Queen !
    I have easier access to things that are troublesome for you to come by, and vice versa ...

The MA feels like JCE could have done it- its goal is very different, I think, than the highly resinous, unctuous myrrhs that most of us come to expect [ and we LOVE them !]

I'm enjoying these, partly for education, partly for research.
    [Even with a lot of ambers- and I'm insane for 'em- I think you'd definitely prefer ours ...]

Quote Originally Posted by chayaruchama View Post
    IThe MA feels like JCE could have done it- its goal is very different, I think, than the highly resinous, unctuous myrrhs that most of us come to expect [ and we LOVE them !]

I'm enjoying these, partly for education, partly for research.
    [Even with a lot of ambers- and I'm insane for 'em- I think you'd definitely prefer ours ...]
    Ahhhh. JCE, hmmm? Well, from you that is a praise that will make me return to that sample, erase every thought of Serge Lutens from my mind and try again

And the amber? Oh, I can almost hear you whisper: "come over to our side, lieverd"...........(((Chaya)))
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

Default Re: Chaya's Amber

um..."our amber"...even better?

I believe you Chaya, oh yes I do, even though I have no idea what you're talking about! : )

Are you making your own perfume now? (still?)

And what dark alley do I need to go down in South Boston to find some? Because I KNOW you have the nose that really knows...

--sweetlife
    Last edited by aharad; 30th December 2007 at 02:02 AM.

Default Re: Chaya's Amber

Cheeky monkey !
    Have you been reading too many Lehane novels ?
    Watching 'The Departed 'and 'Gone, Baby, Gone' ?

Neil and I have been enjoying working together on a Burnt Amber-
    Call 617-267-2315, and leave Whiffman a message- he'll send you a samp.
    I really think that the plum blossom makes it sing;
    Try it, and let us know what you think !

[Kisses, you naughty thing]

Quote Originally Posted by aharad View Post
    um..."our amber"...even better?

I believe you Chaya, oh yes I do, even though I have no idea what you're talking about! : )

Are you making your own perfume now? (still?)

And what dark alley do I need to go down in South Boston to find some? Because I KNOW you have the nose that really knows...

--sweetlife

Despite wearing SL's Ambre Sultan as my main SotD, I am also testing AG's Ambre Fetiche on my wrist.

The first two hours brought a big amber and too much smoky incense, though I could smell the vanilla and iris coming through. As the hours passed I was visited by a growing presence of sweeter chocolate vanilla, but swathed still in too much smoke. It is a fascinating scent that certainly goes on a journey, but I'm not sure I can live with this much smoke throughout the long middle notes. I wonder if I over-applied to one very small area of skin, and a more democratic distribution would tame the smoke, but hopefully not bringing too much sweetness to the fore.

Ambre Fetiche dominated my Ambre Sultan from the off, and only now after 6 hours a few hand washes has the domination begun to subside.

The sweeter Goutals aside, Isabelle Doyen has come up with another scent full of mystery and intrigue. I will try again next weekend- this one would be a hard scent to test at work.
    Last edited by Sestra; 1st January 2008 at 06:05 PM.

Default Re: Chaya + Smokiness

Oh that smoke sounds very good to me! Can't wait to try them now, but I will wait. Perhaps by the time they make it stateside they'll be at the discounters, too LOL.

Chaya -- thank you for replying to my cheekiness!!

[icon for big kiss blowing in the direction of Boston here]

The smoke has mellowed now. The fragrance that remains is faintly familiar. Could I be thinking of SL's Cedre? Is this the benzoin? There is a slightly syrupy woodiness, very subtle. It's been there all along but now has less competition from heavier notes.
    Last edited by Sestra; 1st January 2008 at 10:10 PM.