Code of Conduct

Default Biggest Disappointment(s) of 2007?

Frags you tried and were disappointed in (or even terrified of) in 2007?

Mine (in no particular order):

Louve by Serge Lutens:
    Oh joy -- sweetened milk of almonds for $110.00 a bottle. (Plus shipping.) Marzipan and Jergen's Lotion, anyone?

Black Violet by Tom Ford:
    Despicable? No. Cloying? Somewhat. For the price, though, it should be downright great.

Sa Majesté la Rose by Serge Lutens:
    I had expected Black Aoud's equal. What I got instead was a very pleasant rose, better than commonplace but far less than divine.

Cannelle Orange by L'Occitane:
    Oh, the horror. The horror.

Maestro by Simon Chang:
    Blame Canada.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd December 2007 at 12:05 AM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Default Re: Biggest Disappointment(s) of 2007?

What was so horrible about the L'Occitane Cannelle Orange?

It (to me, anyway) smelled nothing like either oranges or cinnamon. I cannot exactly say what it reminded me of, but my therapist believes this is because I've repressed the memory to escape the psychological trauma it caused.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 21st December 2007 at 11:57 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Probably Light Blue for men. It totally SUCKED/SUCKS!!!!!!! This came out in 2007 right??
    Awesomeguy

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3 View Post
    Probably Light Blue for men. It totally SUCKED/SUCKS!!!!!!! This came out in 2007 right??
    I agree. I couldn't stand that stuff. The women's is really good-- what a shame.

From my previous post:
    1. L'eau d'Issay - it once smelled nice to me, but now... did something change in the juice? Sorry I bought that new bottle!

2. And even though it was a gift to me and I didn't buy it, Boss Selection.
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Dolce and Gabanna Light Blue(It seems you all agree)

After Pour homme, I had high aspirations, smelled my friend, puked, then bought a bottle of eau fraiche.

French Lover, without a doubt.
    Last edited by musclegod007; 1st January 2008 at 10:45 PM.

Overall, 2007 wasn't a bad year at all for men's releases, even from the designer scent perspective. From what I could see, the forward momentum from 2006 continued onward into 2007, which is a very positive sign for 2008.

At the shelves of your local Macy's, some pretty darn good releases came on the shelves. From my perspective: Diesel's Fuel for Life was pretty darn good. Narciso Rodriguez for Him was the best designer release, IMO, since Terre d'Hermes. Azzaro's Chrome Legend was a real sleeper. Even Kenneth Cole's RSVP, Armani's Attitude, L'Eau d'Issey Pour Homme Intense, and Usher He weren't bad at all from my perspective.

But I totally agree on the Dolce & Gabanna Light Blue Pour Homme... this scent disappointed me the most by far, as I love the women's. I had real high hopes, and P&G blew it on this one... it's not in the spirit of the women's at all. We got an AdG clone, pure and simple. Let's hope that D&G The One For Men is a better scent...
    Last edited by MFfan310; 22nd December 2007 at 12:38 AM.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

True, but re-read the original post -- the question was not about what came out in 2007 per se, but rather about what disappointed you the most in 2007.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd December 2007 at 12:30 AM.

Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    True, but re-read the original post -- the question was not about what came out in 2007 per se, but rather about what disappointed you the most in 2007.
    I edited my post to clarify my thoughts (read: Light Blue PH wasn't just bad... it disappointed me the most, too).
    Top 5 for Winter:
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

D&G Light Blue PH
    Gucci PH II
    Tom Ford for Men
    YSL Rive Gauche PH
    Serge Lutens Bois de Miel

I found the above two absolutely yawn-inspiring. Mr. Ford's wasn't necessarily bad, it just didn't live up to the incredible hype that preceded its release. Rive Gauche, I just plain didn't get. I'll have to try it again out of my respect for YSL, but so far it has been a disappointment.

Bois de Miel? Horrifyingly sweet, feral honey. It was like a swarm of bees in heat. And not very sexy bees at that, mind you.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 23rd December 2007 at 01:24 AM.
    You are not your perfume.

D&G Light Blue PH
    Gucci PH II
    Tom Ford for Men

I agree with Nicolas V >>> Rive Gauche
    ... has a weird few notes that remind me of almost stale re-boiled vegies with extra broccolli & cauliflower .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

unlike musclegod, french lover was my highlight of 2007. as for dissapointment...

issey intense. but then again, all the isseys smell like watery ass.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Off-Scenter

Black Violet: thick, cloying, and oddly "chemical." Molasses with saccharine and heavy cream. Is Tom Ford trying to be L'Etat Libre d'Orange? Maybe.

Secretions Magnifiques: speaking of the devil. I didn't expect to like this, but I expected it to be at least interesting. It isn't. Just Pepto-Bismol and an aquarium that's badly in need of cleaning.

Le Dandy: I expected a suave classic. I got an oversweetened, synthetic, fruity mess. Reformulated to death, I suspect.

Jalaine's Lotus: grandma's closet in a bottle.

Blue Amber: I had hoped for a complex, challenging amber. I smelled a polite, non-descript little amber that didn't even last that long.

Ambre Narguile: I'm not going to make any friends here, but...I expected an amber to contend with Ambre Sultan. Instead I found a nice, sweet oriental puppy with its tail between its legs.

Terre d'Hermes: so what???

Dior Homme: while I'm getting myself pilloried, why not go all the way? Sorry, but this is terribly bland compared to Iris Silver Mist, Hiris, Iris Bleu Gris, Bois d'Iris, Equistrius...you get the picture. Then there's this gawdawful synthetic fruit note I get in the middle - it reminds me of air freshener.

I'd better stop now, before I get myself into any more trouble!
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 23rd December 2007 at 01:31 AM.

2007 was an ok year for men's fragrance. Mostly we saw pretty derivative stuff in the mass market. Ralph Lauren's Polo Explorer was especially bad.

Le Fleur du Male, may or may not start a trend towards more masculine florals.
    NR for Him, does at least smell interesting.

I'll say that one of the most interesting fragrances of 2007-2006 was L by Lolita Lempicka, which continues the tradition of being unlike anything else out there.

Thumbs down Re: Biggest Disappointment(s) of 2007?

Tom Ford for Men
    Tom Ford Extreme
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

outrageous - frédéric malle
    wth was that
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

Dzongkha. For this I can just go buy some dill pickles and smear them on me. Egad! Just plain nasty.
    Le Dandy
    Ambre Sultan. Powder, powder and more powder. Not sexy in the least.
    3rd Man. Very weak.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by bbobkc View Post
    Dzongkha. For this I can just go buy some dill pickles and smear them on me. Egad! Just plain nasty.
    Le Dandy
    Ambre Sultan. Powder, powder and more powder. Not sexy in the least.
    3rd Man. Very weak.
    What???? Ok, to each their own, but 3rd man - weak?Ambre Sultan - powder? Ooooff... don't know what to think about that!! What do you consider "strong"???

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    What???? Ok, to each their own, but 3rd man - weak?Ambre Sultan - powder? Ooooff... don't know what to think about that!! What do you consider "strong"???
    The re-formulated 3rd Man starts out strong and then it just disappears... What a shame.
    Last edited by knightowl; 22nd December 2007 at 07:50 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    The re-formulated 3rd Man starts out strong and then it just disappears... What a shame.
    I think I must have a non-reformulated version, because it lasts long and stays true on me. I have mine for a couple years... so I don't know when it was reformulated, but I like what I have!
    Last edited by Schachman; 22nd December 2007 at 02:37 PM.

My interest only bloomed this year, but I'd have to list my exploration of the CB I Hate Perfume line as a disappointment: either no sillage, no longevity, or both on the frags I tried, and I was trying the absolute versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Schachman View Post
    Yeah, 3rd Man is gone in an hour and with AS all I get is powder. I am thinking how can this be as sexy as everyone says? I guess that it is in my chemistry. Tabac Blond now that I think of it is very harsh and acrid on me. It never settles down on me. According to the reviews I was sure that I would love each of them and really wanted to but after repeated wearings I gave up.
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    D&G Light Blue PH
    Gucci PH II
    Tom Ford for Men
    YSL Rive Gauche PH

I found the above two absolutely yawn-inspiring. Mr. Ford's wasn't necessarily bad, it just didn't live up to the incredible hype that preceded its release. Rive Gauche, I just plain didn't get. I'll have to try it again, out of my respect for YSL, but so far it has been a disappointment.

With the exception of GpH II, this is my list as well. This does not mean that I like GpH II, merely that I haven't tried it yet!

My Rive Gauche has entered the Fragrance Protection Program and is living under an assumed name in an alternate storage location.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I'm going sideways here...

My biggest disappointment is the unavailability of Dior Homme Intense in the US.

However, all good things come to those that wait.

All Ava-Lux which just don't appeal to me.

The new Le Dandy, which is not really great.

Most new designer/mod fragrances which are weak, "me too" acquatic non-entities except for Anvers 2 which has some character and Narciso Rodriquez for Men which in the EdeP form is exceptional.

I had really high hopes for Hugh Parsons 99 Regent Street, and was kind of disappointed with it. It was decent, but not quite what I was expecting.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Light Blue
    Fleur du Male
    Gucci II
    Nina Ricci Memoire D'Homme
    Paul Smith London
    Versace Dreamer
    Everything new from Calvin Klein
    Black XS
    Unforgivable

Quote Originally Posted by radix023 View Post
    I'm going sideways here...

My biggest disappointment is the unavailability of Dior Homme Intense in the US.

However, all good things come to those that wait.
    YEAH!
    and the cologne version ....
    and the cuir fraicheur...
    i hate exclusive to europe-ness
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

My biggest disappointment was finding out that Jicky only lasts about 2 hours on me.

light blue, calvin man, and polo explorer.

Besides not winning the German Lotto jackpot...

Histoires de Parfum Casanova & Jules Verne. The line is obviously not my style, the basenotes cloy me to death. Many other blind buys were duds, from Eau de Gloire by Parfum d'Empire (a high-quality, soulless perfume) to Crown Park Royal (my new benchmark for mustiness).

Among the year's releases - not that I expected much from Jil Sander Man, but it was so vacuous it hurt. Fuel for Life came across as positively exciting against it. I was hugely disappointed by Narciso for him, but a second wearing changed my mind. Still in no hurry to buy, though.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Olivier Durbano Black Tourmaline.....cumin, oud, musk, moss, precious woods and leather....all I got was vicks vapor action in the top notes and it dried down to a mediocre smokey scent..and after 3 hours it's gone....

Tom Ford Private Blend Tobacco Vanille......I was expecting a strong, deep, dark modern tobacco scent....Tom Ford style, but got Grampa smoking a pipe. Wouldn't mind putting Noir et Noir down as well...black truffles and saffron..sounds exotic...but I got a little bit of sweet and florals....

i think there's some others..but can't remember right now...
    Last edited by nsamadi; 22nd December 2007 at 11:38 PM.

Shiseido Basala
    Mont Blanc Individual
    Marc Jacobs
    John Varvatos

Most everything that came out this year was a disappointment.

Tom Ford Edt - biggest bust since Jayne Mansfield
    CK Man - At 1st whiff, not bad. 2nd & 3rd, putrid!
    YSL L'Homme - did this come out in '07? Truly, an uninspiring effort
    Diesel Fuel for Life - blatant copy of Joop! Jump
    Kenzo Tokyo - mix in a 'lil Visit & Kenzo Air and you have this mess
    Chanel Allure Cologne Sport - A sport/EdC from Chanel???You've got to be kidding me.
    Narcisso Rodriguez For Him - Not bad, but not good either.
    D&G Light Blue - Boring!
    Gucci PH II - Not another Tea scent! Nice bottle, but the juice is lacking
    Armani Attitude - Loved it the 1st time around when it was called B*Men
    Freddie Malle Outrageous - Put a CK label on the bottle and no one would bat an eyelash

Has anyone tried or seen Davidoff Altitude? Not that I'm expecting much after Silver Shadow but I've not seen it anywhere.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    YSL L'Homme - did this come out in '07? Truly, an uninspiring effort
    YSL L'Homme was a late 2006 release (first at Bloomingdale's, then at Nordstrom and Neiman Marcus), but it didn't hit Sephora, Macy's, and everywhere imaginable until 2007.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

Here are mine for launches in 07:

Tom Ford Men - a watered down ginger citrus boring scent

Calvin Klein Man - icon fragrance, I think NOT. This could not hold a candle to Calvin of the early 80's

Zanzibar - YUCK!
    Paul Smith London - err, naw.
    Gucci pour Homme II - Eeeew!
    Lacoste - Bleah!
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

1. All Tom Ford fragrances introduced this year. !!

2. CdG Luxe fragrances.

3. Serge Lutens new introductions: Rousse, Chene.

4. Terre d' Hermes. Fragr of the Year for '06 and it just falls flat for me in '07.

5. Frederic Malle, Outrageous. After a whole series of great scents - this?

There`re a lot of disappointment in 2007 like Serge Lutens after Chris Sheldrake leaves him for Chanel - but Tom Ford was the suckest launch of the year!
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Amouge - Jubilation XXV for men AND women.

Quote Originally Posted by moon_fish View Post
    There`re a lot of disappointment in 2007 like Serge Lutens after Chris Sheldrake leaves him for Chanel - but Tom Ford was the suckest launch of the year!
    Suckest it was; "sans tambours et trumpets!"
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 23rd December 2007 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Here are mine for launches in 07

Calvin Klein Man - icon fragrance, I think NOT. This could not hold a candle to Calvin of the early 80's
    The thing is, when you release a fragrance with a name like YSL L'homme or Calvin Klein Man, You would expect it to be the "reference" fragrance for that line/brand.

There's a awful lot of mediocre stuff being released under "flagship" names.

About the only recent exception is Dior Homme.

-- I prefer to define preferences rather than thinking about and attracting disappointments.

Last edited by pluran; 23rd December 2007 at 02:33 PM.

Trussardi Uomo - sounded like my cup of tea, but I hated it! I've tried to get into it several times now but without any success - this just isn't my liking at all

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Vavoom View Post
    Amouge - Jubilation XXV for men AND women.
    Thanks, another one to tick off without even sampling it!
    I feel no disapppointments as I never expect too much to begin with. This year makes it easier to pick up some treasures from the past ten years. There were by far more than I could afford to buy.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Smile Re: Biggest Disappointment(s) of 2007?

My first dissapointment is not even a fragrance but related. I was very dissapointed when the Ave Luxe website shut down just as I was hearing about the frags and became interested.

Tom Ford extreme- I liked Tom Ford for men and thought that the extreme would be perfect for me. Bought a bottle blind then discouvored it was an edt and not the same fragrance. I like the new scent I just have to spray 6 to 8 times during the day to enjoy it.

Ricci Club- don't get me wrong. Its a great frag but so much like alot of others I have. Not exactly the same but in the same vein.

Trumper's adjicca voilets- I thought I would find a great violet scent that would substitute for Ave Luxe midnight violet. Not so to my nose. Didn't care for it at all. really grassy. smelled like fresh mown hay. I never did like that note in a frag

Gucci rush- Ok but not my cup of tea. I didn't think it lived up to all the hype here on the boards

Rick
    For sale post

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=190169

" I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    The thing is, when you release a fragrance with a name like YSL L'homme or Calvin Klein Man, You would expect it to be the "reference" fragrance for that line/brand.

There's a awful lot of mediocre stuff being released under "flagship" names.

About the only recent exception is Dior Homme.
    Narciso Rodriguez is great, though it's not "flagship" house.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelmilk View Post
    YEAH!
    and the cologne version ....
    and the cuir fraicheur...
    i hate exclusive to europe-ness
    So how is Cuir fraicheur? Did not hear much about it. Maybe we should open another thread, but please those who tried it - share your opinions.
    Last edited by Boal; 23rd December 2007 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I'm picking off the list in the Basenotes directory:

Chrome Legend
    Cordovan
    Malachite
    CK In 2 U
    Virgin Island Water
    Fuel for Life
    Gucci Pour Homme II (gotta admit this one pulled the wool over my eyes for a moment )
    Guess Suede
    Tokyo (only because the longevity sucked)
    Hypnose Homme (longevity issues as well)
    Nautica Island Voyage
    Polo Explorer
    Prada Infusion d'Iris
    Unforgivable Multi Platinum (big time let down)
    Usher He

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Tokyo - Kenzo
    Gucci II

That's right, Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by rosbergs3 View Post
    Here's another vote for D&G light Blue for men!!!! I almost cried when I smelled this one. Go and purchase Versace Eau Fraiche if you want the counter part to D&G Light Blue for women....................

Dolce&Gabbana Light Blue PH
    YLS L'Homme

Was there the need of such warm water bottled under the sun? Really?

D&G Lightblue also wins for nuisance advertising campaign. The image of the swarthy and sweaty man would have you thinking the juice smelled like Kouros. Insted it smelled like D&G Light Blue.
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by iMaverick View Post
    I'm picking off the list in the Basenotes directory:
    Mavrick,

For L'occi Cedar, did you ever get a strong tea note?? I tried this and my first impression was black tea, and I didn't get any strong cedar.

Maybe I'm spoiled by Tumulte PH, but I didn't think L'occi cedar had anywhere near as much cedar character as I would expect from an EdP named "Cedar"
    Last edited by Nitromusk; 25th December 2007 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Post Re: Biggest Disappointment(s) of 2007?

He Wood