Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Acqua Di Gio

Default Acqua Di Gio

Hi there, im just wondering why acqua di gio gets so much bad feedback in this forum? I love the fragrance myself .. and i like other fragrances to but i choose to wear ADG over the other ones i like .. its weird that its such a high seller but everyone on thos forum puts it down , i know its a big named brand .. georgio armani but i dont think that is enough for people to go back and buy the fragrance again once they have run out .. oviously they like it and people around them like it too.

Default Re: Acqua Di Gio

i tried it the other day and i have to say...i just dont get it...it comes off as very strange with my chemistry, but i know women love it on men! I just dont like it.

I find with me it seems to take a few mins to settle in but when it does it smells great, all of my girlfriends and female friends have liked this 1 .. is there any other ADG fans out there?

chicks do dig it...my sister in law loves the hell out of it and swears there is nothing better...if you like it, i strongly reccomend z by zegna and dolce and gabbana light blue.

Probably a victim of it's own popularity, since so many guys wear it, I can't stand to wear it myself. Yes, I have it, and do wear it from time to time (but usually on weekends at home), and I do like it enough, probably one of the best aquatics, but I just can't stand to smell like every other guy in the office.
    "Faites des bętises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

yep will do ive been thinking about adding the D&G light blue to my collection , yeh chicks defiently like it .. i just couldnt believe all the bad feedback that acqua di gio was getting thats why i wrote the orginal post, I did a search of the forum of acqua di gio and nearly every post was bad and i was just like wat the f**k .. i think because its popular that people will stay away to be different and put it down at the same time

hey...i say good for you for not caring what the snobs think...wear what works for you and dont let anyone give you a hard time on this forum...nice to have you here.

hell, i'll put adg down because in my opinion it smells bad. perhaps chicks do dig it, but none i know personally.

it's just not for me. armani makes some nice stuff - code, attitude etc, but adg... blech
    Last edited by chad278; 22nd December 2007 at 03:15 AM.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    hell, i'll put adg down because in my opinion it smells bad. perhaps chicks do dig it, but none i know personally.

it's just not for me. armani makes some nice stuff - code, attitude etc, but adg... blech
    im telling you its crazy, because i dont like it either, but chicks that i know swoon over it...and personally i dont know why...but its not that its bad, but it varies so strongly from chemistry to chemistry that not everyone can wear it.

This stuff is so common, it's ridiculous...why would i wear it when i can smell it everywhere?

But if it works for you, it works for you .
    Last edited by knightowl; 22nd December 2007 at 03:46 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

yeah, i swear this cologne mixs so well with my chemistry, i just tried it then, sprayed it on my wrist .. smelt it .. then after about 15mins i smelt my wrist again and it smells heaps different to when i first spray it on .. it smells like a really deep nice smell . some other colognes i have tried in the past are : davidoff cool water, cK one and eternity, kenneth cole's black, hugo boss - elements and number one, armani code is ok too but i rekon that 1 is better for evening wear where as ADG u can wear day and night

It's because it isn't exclusive and doesn't cost alot of money. Has nothing to do with whether it's good or not. I like it myself, beats alot of the so called "hyped" fragrances if you ask me.
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

I really like it when I smelled it from other guys, it paints a picture of someone so cool, so modern. I wear it sometimes too.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybumpkin View Post
    It's because it isn't exclusive and doesn't cost alot of money. Has nothing to do with whether it's good or not. .
    it costs a lot more than most of the stuff i wear. that banket comment doesn't reach me. i just don't like it because i think it smells bad. don't discount peoples valid opinions.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by holdenguy View Post
    Hi there, im just wondering why acqua di gio gets so much bad feedback in this forum? I love the fragrance myself .. and i like other fragrances to but i choose to wear ADG over the other ones i like .. its weird that its such a high seller but everyone on thos forum puts it down , i know its a big named brand .. georgio armani but i dont think that is enough for people to go back and buy the fragrance again once they have run out .. oviously they like it and people around them like it too.
    1. Snobbery

2. AdG is very widely applied in certain demographics (i.e 16-25yo males) which gives it an association with young immature males. Alot of AdG wearers have a hard time with spelling and proper capitalization, many of them act as though web bbs are similar to SMS.

3. AdG is responsible for inspiring the creation of 100s of derivative fresh/ozonic/marine fragrances, Thus displacing more traditional men's chypre and fougere's off the marketplace. The mass market is only now recovering 10 years later.

4. AdG is fairly boring, nice watermelon/fresh/citrus top notes leading to an inoffensive white musk drydown. Not very masculine, good for abercrombie types.
    Last edited by Nitromusk; 22nd December 2007 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    Alot of AdG wearers have a hard time with spelling and proper capitalization, .
    LMAO! <------ did i spell this right?

Lightbulb Re: Acqua Di Gio

I like alot of the 90's fresh scents.
    I think most of ADG is good, but there is a particular note that reminds me of those cheap nasty turqoise bath and body works female body sprays.
    The rest of it is good.

I agree that snobbery and the myth of exclusivity make people dislike other than with their nose.
    That's very limiting and strange.
    We all like what we like, unless some childish mental block gets in the way.
    Then taste becomes an unnatural game.
    Last edited by DULLAH; 22nd December 2007 at 04:37 AM.
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

I apoligize to 'Nitromusk' because my post didnt sound like it was straight out of a dictionary.

I like it, but it is a bit too popular. It does not go well with my body chemistry (I sneeze when i wear it), but i still like the fragrance.

Speaking of snobbery...

Yes, most Basenotes members would fall into this category, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Look at other forums...for example, a handbag forum. What gets people excited & talking there? A common handbag one can find at Wal-Mart? Or a Birkin or Loui Vuitton bag costing in the hundreds (or thousands, gulp!) of dollars?

It's just the nature of the beast that scents like AdG are largely ignored in a fragrance forum such as this one.

I still dont get it .. im reading ur replys but dont understand, to me it still sounds like because it is popular and common it is no good , i dont agree .. i think the reason why it is a best seller is because its a great smelling fragrance .
    --------------------------------------
    in reply to knightowl .. ur comparing ADG to a common handbag found at walmart , and the rest of the fragrances talked about on here are "Birkin or Loui Vuitton bag" so are u suggestion that ADG is cheap and nasty and that the other fragrances on here are more expensive in price?? dont see where you are coming from ..ADG is in the same price range for as most of the other fragrances mentioned on this forum. In another post i read ADG is like a volvo with cars .. dont agree at all .. i think its more like a BMW .. sure there common, but they build great cars thats why they are popular .. same with ADG .. its made by a brand with a great reputation and people love the fragrance thats why it sells .
    Last edited by holdenguy; 22nd December 2007 at 05:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I think it smells pretty good but it is far too common to wear. The perfect scent if you want to get a "you smell just like my ex boyfriend."

I still dont get it .. im reading ur replys but dont understand, to me it still sounds like because it is popular and common it is no good , i dont agree .. i think the reason why it is a best seller is because its a great smelling fragrance .
    --------------------------------------
    in reply to knightowl .. ur comparing ADG to a common handbag found at walmart , and the rest of the fragrances talked about on here are "Birkin or Loui Vuitton bag" so are u suggestion that ADG is cheap and nasty and that the other fragrances on here are more expensive in price?? dont see where you are coming from ..ADG is in the same price range for as most of the other fragrances mentioned on this forum. In another post i read ADG is like a volvo with cars .. dont agree at all .. i think its more like a BMW .. sure there common, but they build great cars thats why they are popular .. same with ADG .. its made by a brand with a great reputation and people love the fragrance thats why it sells .
    holdenguy,

I think that AdG smells good ( as do plenty of BN members)... But AdG is discussed about everywhere on the net. Scents from Serge Lutens, Montale, Andy Tauer? Not so much. This is one of the reasons why i stick to Basenotes (even if i can't afford them, i enjoy reading about 'em!! ).

So yes, people love AdG and it sells by the billions and billions...that's the problem. People here won't do cartwheels with excitement over it, that's for sure.
    Last edited by knightowl; 22nd December 2007 at 05:51 AM.

I live in Australia, do i dont know how ADG rates in best sellers in this country .. i know that none of my friends have it or any1 i know .. so i dont feel like i smell like every1 else, maybe its more common in USA than it is where i am.

I live in Australia, do i dont know how ADG rates in best sellers in this country .. i know that none of my friends have it or any1 i know .. so i dont feel like i smell like every1 else, maybe its more common in USA than it is where i am.
    I would say it is the MOST common scent for males from age 16-25 here. If i knew of no one who wore it I would probably use the large sample I received. Now that you wear it you may start noticing it on more people, but if not then that's good. My personal favorite aquatic is aqua de bulgari.

hmmm .... where abouts in Ozz r u mate ?

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

I like it but there are SO MANY other fragrances out there that are a whole lot more interesting. My sister says that she hopes that when she smells it on a man that he is just really ugly or she may jump him. What can I say?
    I have read in Plato and Cicero sayings that are wise and very beautiful; but I have never read in either of them: Come unto me all ye that labor and are heavy laden.'' --Saint Augustine

“Hastiness and superficiality are the psychic diseases of the twentieth century, and more than anywhere else this disease is reflected in the press.”--Alexander Solzhenitsyn

I had some ADG, dad took it now I have no idea where its at...I have smelled it around a few times, I know lots of people have it...I think people on basenotes arent really ripping it, they just feel since its used so much, it doesnt allow you to stand out. theres other frags out there that are just as good that most dont wear.

Perfume is a luxury item - people who can afford luxury goods want it to be exclusive. Smelling your perfume on someone on the streets can be embarrasing - its like someone wearing the same clothes as you. Also, perfume is a very personal thing, you want it to be your signature - not something that everyone shares.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitromusk View Post
    AdG is very widely applied in certain demographics (i.e 16-25yo males) which gives it an association with young immature males.
    Yes, I LOVED it when I was 16. I think it really goes over well with the younger crowd because it's so uncomplicated and there's no risk of "smelling like a girl." Now that I'm in my mid-20's I find myself very much underwhelmed by it. There's nothing offensive about it, but there's nothing interesting about it either.

I'm very glad I found basenotes, it's opened my eyes to what a vast world of fragrance there is. I never knew how fascinating and astonishing fragrances could be. holdenguy, try not to take personal offense to other people's preferences. The people on this board know and love fragrance like nothing else, and if they say pass I don't think there's any point in arguing with them. But hey, the beauty of any art is that no one's taste is the same as anyone else's, and I'm sure everyone would agree with the principle that you should wear what you like.