Code of Conduct

Default Clive Christian's no.1 - $865 for 10ml

Maybe some of you guys have already read this but anyway, those of you who haven't this should be interesting:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/12...s_most_ex.html

Would you spend that much for a perfume?

Default Re: Clive Christian's no.1 - $865 for 10ml

Thanks for the link eau ... so interesting ! and gonna be good reading later on tonite and im gonna link it and see how it develops .. its topics like these that intrigue me & also spark constructive debate amongst those lucky enough to own & use ones like this ,, cheers .

No, no, and no. It's almost Saudi in its sheer decadence and waste. There are many, many, MANY good fragrances out there that can be had for a small fraction of this colossal expense.

It's this very kind of decadence that encourages non-scentophiles to make us out as fools.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd December 2007 at 02:24 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

Quote Originally Posted by tvlampboy View Post
    It's this very kind of decadence that encourages non-scentophiles to make us out as fools.
    Well put. If after 2 years of obsessively exploring fragrances, I can't smell any tangible upgrade to the quality of ingredients or composition of this Clive Christian stuff, (compared to even my most precious juices) then who needs it?
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Exactly. Every Christian I've yet sampled has been rich and complex, granted, but just how precious must their ingredients be to merit these mind-boggling price tags? I can (and do) get rich and complex from frags priced between one-one hundredth and one-tenth of their Clive Christian cousins.

Christian's marketing just conspicuous consumption personified -- the sort of marketing that appeals to white trash lottery winners, fat Saudi oil barons and rap stars who crave absurdly expensive "bling."
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 22nd December 2007 at 02:59 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

You do not spend $865 for the perfume, you spend it for distinction (as Bordieu defined it). Although, judging from the reactions, a big sign reading "I'm wearing $865 perfume" should come with the bottle . Perhaps the tacky D&G fashion approach works better for showing off.

off topic: what do you think about the interior designer's statement:
    "You would never catch me wearing cologne. It's all about subtlety. Your taste is determined by your olfactory senses. You can't get to know a person who wears perfume; it masks what your true person is."

Perhaps we shouldn't wear clothes either, so people can SEE who we REALLY are. Isn't his Loro Piana coat also just a mask, part of an identity-tool-kit?
    Last edited by the_good_life; 22nd December 2007 at 02:58 PM.
    Currently wearing: Mellis by Annette Neuffer

Basenotes Institution

I have smelled No. 1. It's good. But it is not ten times better than my favorite scent. However it is ten times more expensive. I'll pass.
    Currently wearing: Amber Aoud by Roja Dove

Basenotes Plus

the market for luxury items like this is a viable and active one. This kind of luxury is aimed at a tiny portion of individual use buyers and a slew of CEO's, management of Fortune 500 companys, the Japanesse are especially fond of expensive items such as this to be used as business gifts.

When CEO's present these things to other CEO's as gifts to lure more business we all pay for these items ourselves. I doubt very much that corporate gift giving like this is done "out of pocket"

BTW: I would naturally expect to see writeups about this particualr Clive Christian product in Forbes, Fortune and Business week not to mention The Robb Report.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 22nd December 2007 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour View Post
    Maybe some of you guys have already read this but anyway, those of you who haven't this should be interesting:

http://nymag.com/daily/intel/2007/12...s_most_ex.html

Would you spend that much for a perfume?
    Only if it came with a 7 course dinner for two at the Four Seasons with a bottle of Dom Perrignon 1993.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    off topic: what do you think about the interior designer's statement:
    "You would never catch me wearing cologne. It's all about subtlety. Your taste is determined by your olfactory senses. You can't get to know a person who wears perfume; it masks what your true person is."
    Perhaps we shouldn't wear clothes either, so people can SEE who we REALLY are. Isn't his Loro Piana coat also just a mask, part of an identity-tool-kit?
    He has a hard time grasping the intrinsic value of something intangible! Would you call someone like that a literalist? I wonder if he has the same problem with music?

Hahahahahaha.........LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL... Ya rite.....HAHAHAHAHA again.....If I were to purchase this...it would be with Uncle Donalds Black Card....HAHAHAAHA.

As much as I think that I am a wonderful person, deserve good things...Ah NO!!!...not with my money.

The thing I find fascinating with myself is that when I wear high-end fragrances, they never seem to get any comments. But let me wear Groove or one of my oils and everyone is asking-"What are your wearing?"

Well have a great weekend everyone.

Peace,

Otto
    Giving Life My All And Improving Every Day

For certain goods, especially perceived status goods, people will pay what they want to pay. That is why there are plastic wallets for $1 and Hermes Alligator ones for $8000. Walmart jeans for $10 and designer boutique jeans for $1000. Sparkling costume jewelry for $5 and Tiffanys jewelry for $50 000. And perfume for $5 or $868.

Is it better? Probably (hopefully) the ingredients are all pure and extremely rare. Does that make it better or worth more? Depends on the person. But you can bet if there is a market of people who want to pay more, some retailer is going to find a way to justify pricing their products for that market.

Yes it's crazy - this liquid cost more than gold. And yes, its featured in Forbes - no.1 is bottled in a crystal bottle and named "Imperial Majesty" and its sold for $215,000 per bottle. Theres only 5 available in the world and they have sold 3 of them - any takers for the other 2?

Smile Re: Clive Christian's no.1 - $865 for 10ml

I owned a bottle of the pure perfume spray at one time. I swapped it away. Too feminine for me and not all that outstanding in my opinion. Clive bills his offerings as the most expensive on the market. Now that is true. What you get for the money is a totally different matter. It might be worth about 165 or 200 in my opinion but there are lots of niche frags out there that are much better. The luxury qiotient of this frag is all in the buyers mind.

Rick
    " I wanna have my kicks before the whole s--t house goes up in flames"

Quote from Jim Morrison
    The Doors
    Currently wearing: Sagamore by Lancôme

Champion Thread Killer

Blog Entries

It gives the buyer 'bragging rights' among peers and lets face it, it doesnt take bread off the table for those who can afford it. Chump Change for many.

Consider the outrageous costs, just out of the gate, for some $1k + bottles of wine. Are they better than the $10 retail bottles? Not necessarily. Different, yes. But better is often in the eye of the buyer and when ones disposable daily income is multiples of another's monthly paycheck, for them, why not?

Considering the markup price of, say, some bottled waters, or designer clothing, or methods of travel etc. versus the effort/time/expense of providing same, this new fragrance might just fit into the retail mix far below the top of such a list in value-to-true cost considerations.
    Last edited by kbe; 23rd December 2007 at 03:21 PM.
    we have seen the enemy...and he is us.-Pogo

Basenotes Plus

It takes bread from all of our tables when American ambassadors give a bottle or three to heads of nations who look the other way while we "special rendition" someone into their jail system.

But kill social security so the Malcom Forbes' of this world can do away with paying taxes and afford a few more of these.

And throw in a Faberge egg.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 23rd December 2007 at 03:42 PM.

A similar report on Clive Christian's No.1 from Yahoo! news made me chuckle:

[...]Fans of No. 1 include Sir Elton John, who used the scent to perfume the gardens at his White Tie [...]
    One person's holy grail is another person's... garden spray?

Wink Re: Clive Christian's no.1 - $865 for 10ml

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    It takes bread from all of our tables when American ambassadors give a bottle or three to heads of nations who look the other way while we "special rendition" someone into their jail system.
    And you have proof that this has occured? Methink's you have a put on a little too much of L'Eau de Charenton this morning.