Code of Conduct

Red face Question About TERRE D'HERMÉS

Basenoters:

Beforehand I am a 16 year old who, like everyone here just fell in love with fragrances and is now and fragrance junkie

Recently I have been given as a gift a TERRE D'HERMÉS, thing is that from what I have read from some places and I have also been given the impression that this is a fragrance for the older public, and maybe it will not "fit me"

It is important to make clear that I really like the smell of this fragrance and have nothing to complain about besides a poor silage.

But, my question is if you think that this fragrance would or would not fit me knowing that I am 16 years old?

As a side note I do believe that some fragrances are for certain ages, personally I would put an Hugo by Hugo Boss to a young adult and an Anteus to an older one. Therefore, will this Hermes fragrance fit my age?

Thanks for any help in advance
    optimus
    =)

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Question About TERRE D'HERMÉS

If you feel comfortable wearing it, then most likely those who smell it on you will also.

Personally, I wish more 16 y.o. that I encountered smelled like Terre de Hermes, instead of that godawful Axe deodorants that most of them wear.

Banned

If you feel comfortable in Terre d'Hermes, wear it and enjoy it. I see no reason why a fragrance should be limited to your age because of its smell.

edit: LOL mike beat me to it!
    Last edited by teger; 30th December 2007 at 03:32 AM.

Yes! It's a great fragrance that doesn't depict any age, only class! Wear it if you like it!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Life's too short to worry about what other people think. A confident man likes what he likes, and that's that.
    Last edited by knightowl; 30th December 2007 at 03:37 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Putting aside the general and very good advice given by the above posters, and with specific reference to TdH, I think it is perfectly suited to 16yo. That is, even if one were to be "ageist" about certain colognes, TdH would not be one of them.
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I really do not recall anyone putting Terre d'Hermes into any age catagory in other posts. I agree with the others that it should work across all age groups. Probably even put you one up on others in your age group if you are this knowledgeable in fragrances.

Some fragrances say "Are you buying dinner?"

Terre d'Hermes says "I am buying dinner, but I will make you work for it".

like people have said, TdH doesn't really fit an age group in my mind. it's too transparent to fit an extreme. i think your fine. TdH has always been one of those scents i wear that people say 'hey, you smell good, but not in a cologney kind of way' - i'm lending that to the fact that it really does mix with people's body chemistry very well.

I'm 26, and honestly I wear anything I like!
    I would recommend you to do the same. If you like something it would be yours.

Young and old - a lot depends on where you are yourself. But if TdH had an ideal wearer he would be young, I believe, including juvenile cologne wearers. Within their own world it is certainly the youngest fragrance they decorated with a Hermès label, the Orange water maybe excepted.
    Last edited by narcus; 30th December 2007 at 10:04 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Ged View Post
    Putting aside the general and very good advice given by the above posters, and with specific reference to TdH, I think it is perfectly suited to 16yo. That is, even if one were to be "ageist" about certain colognes, TdH would not be one of them.
    What he said
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by optimus View Post
    Basenoters:

Beforehand I am a 16 year old who, like everyone here just fell in love with fragrances and is now and fragrance junkie

Recently I have been given as a gift a TERRE D'HERMÉS, thing is that from what I have read from some places and I have also been given the impression that this is a fragrance for the older public, and maybe it will not "fit me"

It is important to make clear that I really like the smell of this fragrance and have nothing to complain about besides a poor silage.

But, my question is if you think that this fragrance would or would not fit me knowing that I am 16 years old?

As a side note I do believe that some fragrances are for certain ages, personally I would put an Hugo by Hugo Boss to a young adult and an Anteus to an older one. Therefore, will this Hermes fragrance fit my age?

Thanks for any help in advance
    optimus
    hi optimus
    i am 16...argh...17 now but yeah you get the point
    i recently fell in love with terre as well...
    personally i would wear it...
    but the only thing to keep in mind is...
    the place you where it and how you wear it:
    as in oh english class with my pre-faded gap jeans, volcom hoodie, and urban outfitters tee...
    as supposed to a clean short sleeved button up shirt with APC new cures and marc jacobs for vans skate hi-s...(just a juxtaposition)

that's my view on this situation...

but in general: good choice

p.s. you put an accent aigu instead of an accent grave on the second e....(hermès) just so you know
    Last edited by squirrelmilk; 30th December 2007 at 11:15 AM.
    wishlist:
    Chanel - Cuire de Ruissie and Eau de Cologne
    Penhaligons - Quercus, Castille, and Raquets
    Dior -Eau Noire, Dior Homme Cologne, Dior Homme Intense, and Dior Sweet Sun
    Frédéric Malle - Angelique sous la pluie and Eau d'Hiver
    L'Artisan - l'eau de l'artisan and bois farine
    Hermès - Elixir des Merveilles, Jardin sur Nil, and Hermessence Confret.

If it's a Christmas gift, then you are obligated to wear it - the person who gave you this fragrance think it is suitable for you!

You're lucky to know people who give such good gifts. It's a great fragrance, if you like it you should wear it.

Quote Originally Posted by optimus View Post
    Basenoters:

optimus
    If you like it, it fits you. Don't buy into age/gender/classism when selecting a fragrance. If you like it, then it fits you no matter your age.
    Green Dragon

Aliquando et insanire iucundum est.

My 16 year old son thinks Terre d'Hermes is a great scent (and classy too). Nothing wrong with young men developing good taste! Or being individuals.

I can tell by your articulation and sense of consideration that you'd probably "pull it off" quite well!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Thumbs up Re: Question About TERRE D'HERMÉS

Well a nice gift for any young as well as old man. I admire the choice of the person who gave you this gift. I think that age is not related with the perfume under reference but the fragrance suits more to a mature male in the middle of his practical life or may be slightly younger instead of a young teenager like you.

Anyways no hard rules, so chill man and enjoy your gift

I won't go as far as to say every scent fits everyone (I mean, 15-year old dude wearing Old Spice *might* be possible but highly unlikely that it 'fits'), but if you apply Terres d'Hermès lightly, a grown-up 16-year old might easily pull it off.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Off-Scenter

Bottom line: If ya' like it, wear it! If anything, it will be a sign of taste that is refined and sophisticated beyond your years.

PS: At your age, I wore Devin and Tuscany, neither of which were aimed at the young man's demographic. Nobody ever complained, and I smelled great.