Code of Conduct

Default How do your loved ones feel about your fragrances?

I'm wondering if there are lucky fragrance lovers whose loved ones enjoy their passion? Does your partner swoon at your smells? Does s/he even notice? Your children?
    My older daughter is fairly indifferent to scent, currently and only occasionally using Caudalie's signature fragrance. My younger daughter, when she wears perfume, prefers to smell like cotton candy. My darling husband--gasp--is allergic to fragrance. I am undeterrred in my passion. I have loved perfume since I was a little girl (I wore Bal a Versailles at 11) and will not change. I simply apply it in another room.

Default Re: How do your loved ones feel about your fragrances?

Ha Ha!

I asphyxiate my family when I apply fragrance. The kids make this horrible gasping noise as if they are suffocating. They comment on the fact that I wear fragrances to cover up my "odiferous old person smells" and that I'm better off taking a shower. Little do they know, that my perfume habit has bankrupted us and that I am now currently spending their inheritance.

All in good fun!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Blog Entries

My husband adores sniffing what I am wearing or testing, even though he is allergic to wearing it (we think it's the alcohol, because he can wear oils - Therese is your DH allergic to oils as well?) and he has both an excellent nose and clear ideas of what he likes or dislikes. I have only a few scents he doesn't like - I wear them when he isn't around. My sis loves frags - she and I concur on a few - and agree to disagree on others. She really likes Angel and I don't. She doesn't suffer from my obsession for scent but then I don't suffer from her obsession for shoes and handbags

Dimples - you aren't spending their inheritance - you are amassing a "collection" that will be worth a fortune for them in the future LOL.
    Last edited by DeeOlive; 25th December 2007 at 01:45 AM. Reason: spelling
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

My dad usually hijacks whatever he's liking at the moment whenever he visits.
    My sister is just as crazy as i am about fragrances and she has a huge collection of scents -we differ in taste so most of her bottles are bottles i don't have - which is very interesting.
    My mother used to wear a lot of perfumes as well, and she liked expensive smelling stuff, and custom made (bespoke) fragrances made in Paris for her.

Of course, they all agree i have too many bottles but they like it that way.

My other half bitches about our having fifty plus bottles on the bureau, but he sure as hell bitches even more when we run out of Catalyst (or Photo or Nemo or whatever he happens to want at the time).

My sisters love my frags but -- if they had their ways -- would keep me in nothing but Lagerfeld Classic for the rest of my days. (For years, this opoponax-laden classic was my "signature" fragrance.)
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 24th December 2007 at 09:57 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

My SO finds it funny.... he'll sniff my wrist agreeably when I wave it under his nose but I don't think he has any idea what he is smelling. My friends thought it was a little strange but like getting samples of things I don't like! In fact, one teacher comes over every day to smell what I am wearing and has compiled a wish list for her family.

Lally
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

My husband is EXTREMELY supportive of my perfume fetish. He bought me the movie Perfume for X-Mas! Love, love, love. I buy new perfumes all the time, probably more for him than I do for myself! Whenever I feel guilty for "having to have" a new sample, or buying a big bottle of something I have run out of, he says, "You deserve it". And he means it.
    ~Grenouille knew for certain that unless he possesed this scent, his life would have no meaning.~
    Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Lookingglass: You are one lucky person. I see that you need to try Antaeus. Put it on your husband. It is intoxicating, mind-clouding!
    So many of you have interested, benign to rapacious, perfume partners. How lucky!
    DeeOlive: How kind to think that oils would please my husband. No, he might not have the headache, but he would fail to see (smell) the charm. I tried Kiehl's oils many years ago...I just ordered some Madini oils, but...I WILL NOT GIVE UP MY GUERLAINS etc.

My husband only tolerates fragrance at such a low level that it is hardly worth wearing it.
    I keep wearing it because I have to be me.
    I sure wish he loved it, though.
    My daughter is starting to acquire good taste in perfume, as she already has in fashion.
    The only time she complains is when I overapply something she doesn't like.
    My son doesn't wear fragrance, but he enjoys sniffing scents and spraying some on paper in his room.
    He is quite open-minded about what he likes, and I am proud of him for it.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 25th December 2007 at 01:09 AM.

My husband will sniff my hand or arm if I ask him, usually. I'm glad to know which ones he likes and which ones he dislikes!

Everyone else at least tolerates my perfumes!

My fam thinks I spend too much money anyway. So, my perfume habit comes as no surprise. It's in my genes. My Moms side has always loved perfume and cologne. My Mom will come and visit and fuss about me having too much perfume, but she is steady sprayin talkin about, "Ooooh I like this one". I let her smell my Chanel No.19 and she has to have that. The Kelly Caleche smells soooo good on her, but she didn't like it.

My gentlemen friends love my choices in perfume most times. They don't really know alot about perfume though. My ex (who I was with for 10 yrs) never really paid attention to it until we separated. I scent him a birthday card. When he replied, the first thing he mentioned is how my envelope smelled like my apartment. He said he remembers when he would come to see me and my apt always smelled like perfume. He said it brought back all kinds of memories. I don't use those plug ins or any of that other freshner stuff in my house. It's funny how I never really paid it any mind until he said something. I walked in my apt after reading that and realized that my place does smell like a perfume shop LOL!! I love it!
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

My husband wears Caron Pour Un Homme because I bought him some. He likes that it's art deco (he's got a fondness for that era) and he likes the way I like it on him.

Other than that, he's not much of a fragrance kind of bloke. He will sometimes try on fragrances for me to smell if we're in a department store that has things like that, but it's because he knows I enjoy it, not because he especially cares.

As for his opinion of my fragrances, he just takes it as one of my eccentricities that I have a whole drawer full of perfume. He comments only if I'm wearing too much perfume (occasionally I misjudge), if I've just put some on and it's still very strong, or if I wear Diorissimo, which he doesn't like. He does seem to quite like Opium and also J'adore, which he will sometimes suggest I wear, because while he hasn't got a great nose, he appreciates that J'adore is a very complex fragrance and he just like the way it smells on me.

So, I guess you'd say he's supportive and mildly interested in as far as he knows I'm interested. Other than that, he really doesn't care.
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

The reactions are mixed...
    My DH is very proud of my perfume involvement, but he becomes easily overwhelmed-
    He hates many tobacco /leather scents- which means a LOT of my collection !
    He really likes the Ava-Luxes, most Guerlains, and some Carons.
    He HATES sillage...
    I ALWAYS want to put on more before we get in the car...but I have to resist.

My sons have always adored the way I smell- my friends and lovers, too.
    Like my colleagues,they will bury their noses in my nape or cleavage and sniff away happily.
    Even as grown boys, they prefer my pillow, my side of the bed- anywhere I've been.
    Animals and babies like the way I smell, so-
    Like Dimps, I wear what I please [exception: job interviews, chemo administration] .

He doesn't seem to care either way these days. At first he was irritated about the money I'd been spending, but then I reminded him about what he spent on his lunches in Manhattan..."DH," I said, "you spend at least as much and all you have to show for it is indigestion and receipts..I have beautiful fragrances!"

Never had to explain myself again.

There are a few he does really like, but all in all he says little about my hobby and collection.

DH respect my interest, he tells me what he likes my fumes when I ask, and he has a nice little wardrobe himself - I have bought him most of the pieces... - He has good taste, and enjoys a good fragance, but he doas not take such a large interest as I do...
    Faves right now: Chanel No 19, Stella Rose Absolute, L´Heure Bleu, Elixir de Merveilles, Samsara.

My family, close friends, and acquaintances all know that I like perfume and have a fascination with it. When some of my perfume friends come over, we go sniffing downtown or just look through my collection (they will be disappointed now that it's decreased so much!). My family members all enjoy scent; perfume / cologne has always been part of the day, like getting dressed. In fact, at Christmas, one of my sisters said that she wanted to get me perfume, if there was a special one I was interested in. I told her I was purging. For those of you who have no support: that's what us basenoters are here for!

Yes, Seattlelight, you are right. This is the community in which my passions are normal. Thank goodness!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I think my daughter was amazed to see ol' Mom* finally developing a hobby devoted to frivolous fun.

*DEFINITION: 1) Pragmatic maternal human who must have long-pondered and logical reason to do anything, spend anything.

DH is hooked on his own holy grail: the woman's fragrance Stella Rose Absolute. He doesn't like a number of my frags, but he's happy for me that I'm enthralled with perfumes and the lovely characters I tell him about from basenotes.

They know it could be worse... I'm not Crazy Cat Lady who takes in every stray who comes along!

DH2B is very supportive. He dutifully sniffs my wrist when I demand it and often gives unsolicited compliments. He has some favourites but he can't remember which they are. He often declares something smells like bug juice, but for him it is a good thing. There are, infact, two bug juice smells: 1. from when he was in the army and 2. from camping. He is a litte resistant to wearing fragrance himself, but I will wear him down.
    He feels my perfume obsession in a "healthy hobby", and buys me perfume gifts all the time (for Christmas it was Fleurs de Citronnier, with a mini of Ambre Sultan) and he also bought me Luca Turin's The Secret of Scent.
    Sparky also is supportive. Everytime I spritz myself he tries to lick it all off. He's particularly fond of musks and leathers.
    Another belief of mine; that everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise.

Margaret Atwood

Basenotes Institution

My boyfriend is totally supportive, always is happy to oblige me when I want him to smell me, tries to remember notes in fragrances and (most importantly) is very generous with fragrance gifts. He also swipes the top tier fragrances (the Hermessences, the CDG Red's, some Serge Lutens') for himself.

Luckily, my family enjoys fragrance too!

Hubby is into Tea for Two, Dunhill, Blu Notte and Bulgari Black
    Daughter (19) is into Brit, Falling in Love, Nina, and Juicy Couture
    Son (9) is into smelling everything! Loves to sample scents in the store! He wears Chase - a jr. frag by abercrombie!!! He's also choosy about the scent of body wash and shampoo, which is how I remember being at his age ~ poor kid!
    Me, well, I'm currently into A La Nuit, Un Bois Vanille, Kai, Paris, Nuits de Noho, Fleurs de Comores.
    (My best friend still thinks I should smell like Nude, cause I wore it for many years!)

I adore this hobby, and am so lucky none of my loved ones object in any way! No allergies - real or faked! - Everyone here just loves good smells. Don't get me wrong though, they let me know when they don't like something.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    My boyfriend is totally supportive, always is happy to oblige me when I want him to smell me, tries to remember notes in fragrances and (most importantly) is very generous with fragrance gifts. He also swipes the top tier fragrances (the Hermessences, the CDG Red's, some Serge Lutens') for himself.
    hey Mikey,
    he swipes your good stuff? is that why your avatar is a pic of a cute petulant kid?
    Last edited by dimples; 27th December 2007 at 03:00 AM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I used to believe that my family would think I am deranged!
    I was hiding my new perfumes in boxes and I never talked about my passion.
    But when I got over my guilt, then I found that everybody else in my family is only a little amused and ( who would have thought ) even supportive! ( Well not my mother, but then everything I do is crazy to her! )

I am lucky. My husband is almost as into fragrances as I am, and he takes a real interest in any fragrances I sample. Which is why he had filed away my liking for Josephine and Jasmine de Nuit, and bought them for me as a Christmas surprise. I had forgotten sampling them (even though I loved them both), because it was a couple of months ago. He always smells great too! :-)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Clemm, that man has earned himself a whole lotta kisses !

Wow, Clemmie, you've a man who not only appreciates but also remembers what you say? He is certainly award worthy!

I'm doing this solo. My daughter thinks it signifies too much transformation on my part, my sig other can only compare how similar fragrances are to his beloved Obsession, my mother can't smell, my brother does, but only of petroleum products, one sister has worn the same fragrance for 20 years (Coty Wild Musk), and the other is into only natural fragrances. It's not promising.

Mentioned my other half and my sisters in an earlier post on this thread, but forgot to mention my friends. Most of them think I'm nuts when it comes to fragrances; maybe I am. Seriously, my closest friends acknowledge and (at holidays and birthdays) even subsidize my habit. A few are almost as nutso as I am about scents.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 27th December 2007 at 05:52 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

They think I am a fabulously smelling lunatic. They graciously receive and use my fragrant gifts I bestow upon them all. My sister in law and my Sons girlfriend felt no shame in plundering my bags of samples on Christmas day either. They are all slowly coming around to my way of thinking....resistence is futile!

My boyfriend, friends and family don't say much unless its something that really strikes them one way or the other. I try not to wear so much that they notice unless they are really close. This hobby is for my personal amusement anyway.....

The boyfriend did give me a nice complement the other day.
    You always smell so good!

He's a keeper.
    Sakecat's Scent Project
    "Wardrobe" and Reviews of everything I've tried to date. Please come visit and let me know what you think.

[QUOTE=pellen;1121578]DH2B is very supportive. He dutifully sniffs my wrist when I demand it and often gives unsolicited compliments. He has some favourites but he can't remember which they are.

My situation is exactly the same lol. DH2B loves my perfumes and understands my passion althought he is happy with just a few bottles. My Mum loves perfume too and has a great taste and Dad has ventured into a niche territory. I've given away a lot of bottles to my friends so they definitely support the habit.

My FC (female companion) likes most of them and calls the ones she likes best either "cl*t twitchers" or "cl*t warmers".

I come from a family who loves perfume. Both my parents (now in their sixties) have always worn the classics. My sister's taste is opposite of mine, but she has quite a few bottles and doesn't scoff at my collection.
    I'm very lucky that my husband regards scent as art and is curious and enthusiastic about it. He's my favorite sniffing partner and we share the collection, though we try not to wear the same things in one day. Now, we don't share *everything*, and with Serge Lutens boxes bottles all looking the same there were a few incidents when he reached for his Gris Clair and ended up wearing my Miel de Bois...

I inherited my love of perfume from my grandmother. She was always trying new things. She started wearing Giorgio Beverly Hills in the early eighties when it first came out (and she was in her seventies!), and she wore a lot of different Estee Lauder fragrances (and introduced me to them). She also used to wear Miss Dior back when I was a small child, a fact I discovered when I tested it a couple years ago. I put some on, took a whiff, and immediately thought, "Grammy's purse!"

My mother had perfume, but she was a bit clueless about it. She just wore "whatever" and never had much real appreciation for the stuff, other than wanting my father to give her a bottle of Chanel No. 5 parfum (which he did; I still remember that gorgeous, gorgeous little bottle!). She had a bottle of Shalimar (I remember the blue silk tassle) and she wore one of the muguet fragrances for a while, and also Opium.... like I said, she mostly just wore "whatever" and never really appreciated the subtleties or distinctions. I do have to say that I loved to look at and touch her perfume bottles, and sometimes steal a bit (Faberge Tigress was one of the first ones I "borrowed", what a shame it's not available any more...)

But I digress... I got to talking about perfume and wandered off into a little world of my own... *siiigh* I suspect other folks around here will know what that's like, though.
    Last edited by bonni; 28th December 2007 at 11:41 PM. Reason: Added something
    "Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other."
    -Karl, age 5

My friends and family are not at all "into" perfumes. They all wear it, but the same one for 10 or 20 years. My Mother has changed her scent only 5 or 6 times that I know of, and actually wore Evening in Paris for ages.
    They all think having 50 or 60 bttls. is insane!
    They glaze over when I start talking about my passion, so you can well imagine, the conversations don't last too long.
    I have a young niece (25) who seems to be leaning towards a more diversified perfume collection, and has 14 bttls. of her own, so there's hope for me yet! Yay!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

Bonni: I also inherited my love of perfume from my grandmother, who also wore Miss Dior. Wonderful memories.

Pluran: Can a scent be both a twitcher and a warmer? Examples.

Regarding my wardrobe, my wife thinks I'm nuts or showing signs of midlife crisis. She's also very susceptible to smells, so she gets very ill-tempered when she doesn't like a certain perfume. She hates classic 80s scents like Versailles pour homme, but also certain florals, though I haven't really figured out what notes in particular are responsible. Her allergy to some cosmetics ingredients doesn't help either. I've given her Aimez-Moi and Rousse, and she likes both of those, and there's a handful she likes on me - but it ain't always easy. A major part of my collection is exiled two my little apartment in the city where I work. I wear what she can't stand to the office.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'd say that my family is pretty fond of scents in general, and they all tend to have a pretty decent wardrobe.
    My father adores the male scents from Estee Lauder, especially Beyond Paradise. He's also a big fan of Aqua Di Gio (which I have now realized has been widely panned on here, and I can understand why), and wears that on an almost daily basis. My mother, on the other hand, ADORES fragrances from Bath and Body Works, her current fragrance of choice being Dancing Waters. Both of my parents like my choice in fragrance, and lately my mother has been interested in trying out some of my Chanels for herself, although I will catch a quip here and there that what I wear is "too expensive".

Even my extended family is into scent, although both sides have EXTREMELY different tastes when it comes to what smells good.

My mother side of the family likes clean and light scents. One can usually find Elizabeth Arden's Green Tea, or Clinique Happy, Calvin Klein, or some of the sporty and clean Ralph Lauren scents. If it's clean, then it's usually in their fragrance wardrobe. They're very anti-sweet, and anti-celebrity when it comes to choosing scents as well - a quality that most definitely gets a thumbs up from me. (Although I will admit that I do get headaches from all the clean, soapy scents every now and again.)
    They usually like what I wear, but I think they're a bit afraid to try it because they think it might be a bit too heavy or "musky" which is fine.

My father's side of the family tend to favor the cheaper scents, especially those from Avon, especially since they feel extra obligated since my grandmother's sister, Carolyn is an Avon lady. I've never really been fond of Avon scents, and they all seem to pick the ones that either smell like hairspray, bug spray, or both.
    Not to sound cruel, but a majority of them are very back woods sort of people, and they think that Avon actually IS high brow, and they've tried (unsuccessfully) to convince me that it is. They usually chide me for spending so much money on scents and usually claim that they don't like it, but I always catch them taking a whiff of what I've got on. (One of them thought that they could find No.5 for cheap at the Wal-Mart perfume aisle, but was unsuccessful, lol!)

I'm no perfume connoisseur, but I think I have a pretty decent nose, and I've gotten quite a few compliments from my hubby on my selection of scents. He usually enjoys what I wear, and he constantly is complimenting me on how I smell.
    Last edited by Jen81; 1st January 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Unfortunately my family is very traditional (I'm Japanese) and they all HATE perfume. I've noticed that the Japanese don't like orientals or anything too heavy, and they only give perfume to others as gifts but they don't wear any themselves...how strange. So I only wear fragrances that are close to the skin whenever I'm around them. It's too bad because one of the things I love about fragrances is that I get to leave a trail behind for others to remember me by.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    My FC (female companion) likes most of them and calls the ones she likes best either "cl*t twitchers" or "cl*t warmers".
    Oh man, you can't just leave us hanging......................

Elucidate please......

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Talking Re: How do your loved ones feel about your fragrances?

LOL..I think that's the only reason they invite me over for the Holidays is so they can smell their Uncle Jack!! They love Jako & Escada...

My boyfriend is the one I want the most to like my perfumes, but of course he has utterly no interest. He thinks it's a silly thing to buy as many as I do. My collection is really quite small though! I often stick my wrist under his nose and ask him what he thinks. To which he reluctantly sniffs and gives an indifferent shrug. Only twice have I ever gotten a compliment - "You smell nice." This was to my Guess perfume. Though mind you he may have noticed only because I had dressed a little nicer than normal both those times.

My mother really likes all my perfumes, and always asks me what I'm wearing. She does disapprove when I buy a new one though, as she doesn't like me spending my money on more perfumes when I already have several perfectly decent ones already. It makes sense though. Her collection is very small, she only has CK Euphoria and Chanel no.5. Of the two, she only wears the Euphoria (she just got her second bottle after using up the first), and never wears the Chanel. I don't think she really likes it that much.

My sister is only 13 so she hasn't really develped an interest yet. She does join me shopping for perfumes sometimes, and gives me her opinions on what she likes and doesn't like. She has very similar taste to mine - the sweet, pretty scents, and I know she likes my Davidoff Echo Woman, as she usually sprays it on herself when we go perfume shopping. For Christmas shopping she got my the Revlon Fire&Ice which I had strongly hinted at wanting. What a treat, and at such a bargain price! It's become a favourite of mine.
    Last edited by Tavorna; 3rd January 2008 at 03:10 AM. Reason: wrong perfume name

Sadly my husband declares that all fragrances smell of 'chemicals', 'chalk' or 'cake' when I waive my wrist under his nose - I can't generally get anything more sensible out of him than that. I ocassionally get theatrical coughing from him if he really objects to something.

It's a shame really, I don't need him to share this interest of mine, but would like some feedback sometimes and it would be lovely to find something that appeals to both of us.

Still I'm a stubborn type and don't give a monkey's about his opinion on my clothing, shoes or hair so why bother worrying whether or not he thinks I smell good.

Quote Originally Posted by Therese View Post
    Wow, Clemmie, you've a man who not only appreciates but also remembers what you say? He is certainly award worthy!
    In our circle, he is known as an 'honorary girlie', or the 'gayest straight bloke in the land'. He's a true star. :-)
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

They are all sick and tired of my fragomania. Hubby is complaining less nowadays, though, because I do most of my purchases online, without his knowledge, which means he thinks I have cut down spending money on frags.
    When he catches me returning from the post office with a huge package under my arm, I just say it was a gift from a Basenote friend.
    Am I smart or am I smart?! :bounce:
    Everything passes. Everything changes. Just do what you think you should do.
    --Bob Dylan

Musse: You are as cunning and clever as I in hiding fragrance purchases. Shhhh!