Code of Conduct

Default I've been thinking about it

This post is coming from a person who doesn't buy into the statement "I only wear it for me" -- I wear perfume to smell good. I know we all like to discuss the subtleties of fragrances, I still enjoy that.... but really, 99% of people aren't going to get it. As a matter of fact, potentially I could go around thinking I found the most wonderful, niche, high-end perfume that really will make people know what great taste I have and how I don't wear perfume of the masses, blah blah blah... and everywhere I go people could just think I smell weird.
    Just an argument against spending all my extra money on something (perfume) I think is going to define me or some nonsense like that.

Default Re: I've been thinking about it

While I would disagree that any particular fragrance, no matter how nice, is going to define someone I would still bring up the view that ultimately fragrances are for enjoyment - and that enjoyment may well come from having other people take notice. If you feel that you aren't getting that element of enjoyment because most people just don't care (and they don't), then I think you would be perfectly justified in keeping your wardrobe as it is or even scaling back.

If you aren't getting the benefit that you want from fragrances in general, then cut back. Nothing wrong with that at all - scented products are not life-essential.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Honestly, I really couldn't care less if people like my cologne. This is all for me. Sure, its a nice pick-me-up when I get a compliment, but that's the last thing I'm trying to accomplish by spending all this money on fragrances.

What AM I trying to accomplish?
    An interesting library of smells that hold special meaning or significance to me
    A sense of self-refinement
    A love for comparing, testing, evaluating, etc.

I've got my own thing going on here, and people do take notice; and its not because of my cologne.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I've got my own thing going on here, and people do take notice; and its not because of my cologne.
    Amen to that, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by beachroses View Post
    Amen to that, brother!
    indeed
    "Cleanliness and order are not matters of instinct; they are matters of education, and like most great things, you must cultivate a taste for them." Benjamin Disraeli

What pluran said, post #8.
    Last edited by tang; 27th December 2007 at 09:34 PM. Reason: simplified
    Sniff and let sniff.

I agree with what everyone else has said, but ruby3 did say she doesn't see fragrances as a "personal enjoyment" thing

Someone at the office just last week asked me as part of a group conversation if I wear colognes. I just mmhmm'd in response. Never mind the fact that many of the packages I've had delivered to the office the past few months have been fragrances, if people don't notice, they don't notice and I think that's fine, too.

But anyhow, perhaps ruby3 herself will chime in and let us know if we've helped any.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

I like things that make me feel good. End of story.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I like things that make me feel good. End of story.
    What I tried to express in 270 words, you accomplished in 8. Well said.
    Sniff and let sniff.

I appreciate everyone's response. I guess I need to amend a bit. I don't always articulate just what I'm trying to say. I do wear things that I enjoy, and wouldn't wear anything I didn't like even if everyone on the planet thought it was great.

I guess my point is, having read lots of perfume forums, blogs, etc., that it can all get a bit esoteric and I have no desire to go around smelling like old books or poop for example. But you will find people talking about not minding and even liking those notes on some sites, and sort of laughing at the plebes who don't "get it". I don't aspire to that.

But I agree that perfume shouldn't define us in the first place.

Really, just musing. Thanks for all the replies and conversation.

For me, cologne has a two fold purpose....so i smell nice to me and smell nice to others. If I have something that I think smells wonderful but my wife can't stand it (Polo, Korous, and Farhenheit are all examples) I tend to only wear it when she won't be around. I think a lot of people who wear cologne do it for both them and others. Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by ruby3 View Post
    having read lots of perfume forums, blogs, etc., that it can all get a bit esoteric and I have no desire to go around smelling like old books or poop for example. But you will find people talking about not minding and even liking those notes on some sites, and sort of laughing at the plebes who don't "get it". I don't aspire to that.
    I absolutely agree that the point is NOT to sneer at people who don't get your perfume. Also, I wouldn't want to be deliberately offensive with my fragrance (e.g. wearing a super-siller when I know I'm going to be in a confined space with others). But I really do like some of those funny, funky smells - in fact I'd really like to smell like old books. But that's because I love old books as much as I love roses and I like to smell of roses. As for the faecal notes; having worked in Social Services as a hands-on carer, they really don't faze me.

Because it's usually just my significant others that I interact with each day, I don't have to worry about offending with my scents, so I wear what I like. I realise I'm very lucky to be able to get away with wearing Bandit for doing the washing up or Narcisse Noir for the supermarket run. I doubt I'd be able to get away with them if I still worked in an office.

I wear perfume because it makes my day brighter.
    Last edited by Wordbird; 4th January 2008 at 09:43 PM.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Frankly, I don't know what drives me. But driven I am. I am beginning to think I am OC about it. I live on SS and can't afford to do it, so I buy, sell decants and trade like crazy. I love the different scents, and feel great when I find a new one, but I must say I keep reaching and reaching and reaching out to find the one frangrance that is me. Really me.
    It's a hell of a thing, don 't you think.
    David
    You let me be in your dream and I'll let you be in mine...
    Bob Dylan