Code of Conduct

Default Creed (blind buys)

First off, let me start off by wishing everyone a happy holiday!

I'm looking to buy my first Creed. Judging by the reviews and notes, the two that seem to interest me the most are Orange Spice & Bois Du Portugal. Does anyone who owns these (I know there are a lot) have any insight? FYI, I'm a 34y/o male, so I shouldn't have a problem being able to pull either of these off...

Thank you in advance!

Default Re: Creed (blind buys)

Shouldn't you try and buy a decant or a mini/sample first before you invest in a whole bottle?
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I like both of them, although the safer one is Bois du Portugal. I'm not sure either of them qualifies as a safe blind buy, though!

I totally disagree that Bois du Portugal is "safe" at all.

It IS one of my favorite scents, but this is not one to blind buy, unless you've got more money than you know what to do with.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I have both, and both are exceptional. I bought the BDP as a blind buy, and it is my personal favorite. It has the best review history of the two, and would likely be a safer blind buy. But i echo the wisdom of trying before buying, as a lot of my blind buys are now on my swap list!

Definitely try a sample before you buy, considering the fact that Creeds aren't that cheap - you wouldn't wanna spend 100+ bucks on a bottle to find out it's not really your thing despite the reviews

I own both and use BdP much more than Orange Spice. However; there was a time when I would not consider buying Bois du Portugal and had gone through my first bottle of Orange Spice. My point is that blind buying is never a good idea. Tastes vary considerably. Even though BdP is a great scent, there is a better than 50% chance you will not like it enough to want to spend the money for it. Get a sample and wear both a few times. I've found the Sales Assistants at Neiman's have been very willing to decant me a nice size sample of Creed fragrances and this really helps you decide whats the right direction.

I have tried nearly all, and own 8, Creed fragrances, and I would suggest that from the two aforementioned fragrances, Bois du Portugal would be the better blind buy. Orange Spice, in my opinion, satisfies only a certain craving (if you're jonesing for baby asprin soaked in Angostura bitters), whereas Bois du Portugal pushes all the right and several buttons. Perform a search for BdP and marvel at the raves this fragrance gets.

I have blind-bought many of my fragrances--all it takes is knowing what interests you, and what you like, and acting on it. Why waste a month obtaining and smelling a sample, only to buy the damn thing anyway?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I ended up going with a 2.5 ounce bottle of Orange Spice. My reasoning was that it was about $15 cheaper than BdP. I also felt that it was a tad bit safer because I'm a fan of almost all the notes. With a 15% coupon, it was actually a better deal than the Havana I ordered from perfumebay. I feel pretty secure about this one, but will also order a creed sampler so I won't have to buy blind in the future...

Happy Holidays!

Good luck. I enjoy Orange Spice but I have to say that Bois du Portugal is the safer blind buy. A true classic. I own both and much prefer BdP over OS. My personal opinion.
    Top 6: Amerigo Vespucci, by Kilian A Taste of Heaven, Serge Lutens Borneo 1834, Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta, Creed Bois du Portugal, Barney's New York Route du The

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone!

I ended up going with a 2.5 ounce bottle of Orange Spice. My reasoning was that it was about $15 cheaper than BdP. I also felt that it was a tad bit safer because I'm a fan of almost all the notes. With a 15% coupon, it was actually a better deal than the Havana I ordered from perfumebay. I feel pretty secure about this one, but will also order a creed sampler so I won't have to buy blind in the future...

Happy Holidays!
    Orange Spice is an amazing classic, just ask Pierre Bourdon. I hope wearing it brings you much joy in 2008!

Post Re: Creed (blind buys)

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    First off, let me start off by wishing everyone a happy holiday!

I'm looking to buy my first Creed. Judging by the reviews and notes, the two that seem to interest me the most are Orange Spice & Bois Du Portugal. Does anyone who owns these (I know there are a lot) have any insight? FYI, I'm a 34y/o male, so I shouldn't have a problem being able to pull either of these off...

Thank you in advance!
    Sample numerous creeds, and than make your decision! Learn patience with fragrance's, And you will be rewarded! Blow hundred + dollars on something you don't like, and I can tell you without doub't that you won't be very happy. I know I've done it. ( won't ever happen again ) Sample, Sample, Sample.

I wear BdP with dress clothes and Orange Spice with casual clothes.