Code of Conduct

Default Updated: luckyscent gift card:now what do i get--i got Hotel Costes!

hey guys...my mom got me a $100 gift card to luckyscent...if i want to spend it all im looking at cardinal by heeley which i love, but i was wondering if anyone knew anything about fine leather by heeley or frank no. 2 by frank? Thanks men...merry christmas!
    Last edited by jdnba; 26th December 2007 at 06:43 PM.

Default Re: luckyscent gift card:now what do i get?

I ordered Heeley - Cardinal and it should arrive on Friday from luckyscent. It is the only incense frag I think I could wear all year. Simple but beautiful. I can't think of a better way to spend your gift card, but that is my opinion only.

thanks...i really like it too, but i have only had a small sample and worn it once or twice....it is a beautiful frag though...i was at christmas vigil last night and the incense they burned reminded me of it. You dont know anything about the fine leather though huh?

I have sampled it twice (fine leather) and it was not to my liking. I got very little leather and too much myrtle. Not what I was expecting at all. Slightly sweet also; I prefer Cuir Ottoman if I was looking for a slightly sweetened leather (once I get past the oil/gasoline note the first 15 minutes).
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 25th December 2007 at 05:43 PM.

thanks jock...u definitely have swayed me from the fine leather...i appreciate your honesty...hope you are having a nice holiday.

You have a good one too, as well as everybody else!

I am about to have a glass of Pinot Noir to start the Christmas afternoon off on a nice note.
    I can't wait for my Heeley - Cardinal now...I have a feeling this one is going to get alot of use this year. I love Kyoto and Avignon but they are so direct in their theme, I can only wear them in certain situations. I think Cardinal can be a frequently worn frag without alot of thought as to whether it is appropriate or not for the occasion. There is beauty in simplicity and this is a fine example.

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    You have a good one too, as well as everybody else!

I am about to have a glass of Pinot Noir to start the Christmas afternoon off on a nice note.
    I can't wait for my Heeley - Cardinal now...I have a feeling this one is going to get alot of use this year. I love Kyoto and Avignon but they are so direct in their theme, I can only wear them in certain situations. I think Cardinal can be a frequently worn frag without alot of thought as to whether it is appropriate or not for the occasion. There is beauty in simplicity and this is a fine example.
    Hi JwS!
    Thanks for all your insights! I have found a lot of great scents that I wouldn't have tried if it hadn't been for your suggestions (and for the samples you sent!).

Just curious about how Jaisalmer compares with Cardinal? I haven't been able to sniff Kyoto or Avignon - so I don't know how they relate. I like Jaisalmer a lot, but probably not a year round scent, so it would be good to know how it compares with Cardinal.

Have a great glass of wine (me too... soon! ) and all the best for the remainder of the year!
    "Faites des bêtises, mais faites les avec enthousiasme !" Colette

Thanks Jason , I sent you a PM.

In short, Cardinal is the only predominant frankincense scent I could even imagine attempting to wear in warmer temps. Jaisalmer, while beautiful, is not a frag I would wear in the summer in Memphis

First of all, I envy you your gift certificate! I've sampled all of the ones you've mentioned. I agree that Cardinal is a good choice, although I purchased Jaisalmer and Passage d'Enfer instead when I was in my incense buying mode. Avignon is great, but it smells exactly like Catholic mass, which freaked out my Catholic friends. Jaisalmer is more Indian than Catholic and Passage d'Enfer is tempered with lilies. Heeley Fine Leather is nice, but it's very similar to Grey Flannel, which you can pick up really cheaply. Considering your preferences, you also might want to take a look at Parfumerie Generale's Querelle before you make up your mind. It smells like sneaking a cigarette while making out with somebody in the back pew of a Catholic church. It's one I keep thinking about but have not yet bought a full bottle of. Happy shopping!

luckyscent now carries Domenico Caraceni 1913, which has been getting a lot of buzz on this
    board lately. Not having tried it yet, I can't recommend one way or the other, but this is the only
    store I'm aware of in the U.S. that carries it, so if you have an interest, then a sample and subsequent
    bottle purchase might be a good use of your gift certificate.
    Currently wearing: Rocabar by Hermès

Basenotes Plus

I own Avignon and found Cardinal TOO similar and in my opinion I like Avignon better.

An even BETTER use of frankincense (at luckyscent) is Olibanum by Profumum. Buy a sample if you can -- amazing stuff.

Wink Re: luckyscent gift card:now what do i get?

i ended up going with hotel costes because i read the reviews on this site and on luckyscent, plus im enthralled with the idea of a masculine musky, sandalwood, floral, clove scent...it sounded too good to pass up...it was tough because i wanted cardinal, but was going to push my over when the shipping was thrown in...now i have a quality scent and i can either go crazy and order a bunch of samples with the remaining money on the account or save up a bit and get the frank no 2 that i wanted as well and then request a gidtcard again at my bday in march...ha ha...anyway you take it i still come out smellin really good!

Thanks again fellas!

Default Re: Updated: luckyscent gift card:now what do i get--i got Hotel Costes!

Great choice, I've been wearing Costes daily for the last week. It reminds me a bit of CdG White - not a bad thing!
    Enjoy.

Default Re: Updated: luckyscent gift card:now what do i get--i got Hotel Costes!

Costes is wonderful stuff

Oops, Forgot to tell you that you get free shipping on luckyscent...use MUA in the promotion code field and you could have come out 90$ even with the Cardinal. Oh well.....

I love Costes too, but only get to enjoy it for 2 hours...that is how long it lasts on me. Sad for such a beautiful frag. I hope you enjoy it and get better longevity than I. Good Luck!
    Last edited by Jock_With_Scents; 26th December 2007 at 08:51 PM.

I love Costes as well. Should've stocked up when Barneys had them on sale.