Code of Conduct

Default Grandmother's Mirrored Perfume Tray (Photo)

Grandmother's mirrored perfume tray was under the tree for me this morning.
    My Mother must know me better than I thought she did. How wonderful to have another element with which to play with my collection and keep the embers of my obsession glowing.

So this morning , I carefully arranged all my full bottle rose based scents on the shiny tray atop my dresser. There are eight in all:

Sa Majeste La Rose by Serge Lutens
    Une Folie de Rose by Parfums de Rosines
    Narciso Rodriquez for Her
    Parfum Sacre by Caron
    Rasa parfum by Ava Luxe
    Voleur de Rose by L'Artisan de Perfumer
    Chanel no. 19 edt
    Chanel no. 5 parfum

(some may debate about my Chanels being in my Rose collection, but to me I experience them as such, so...)

in a small dark charcoal clay votive candle holder, I have nestled some of my rose based sample vials:
    Domenico Caraceni (swoon) C&S 88, Un Zeste de Rose, Rose d'Homme
    I also have the following samples standing by in the wings:
    Aoud Rose Petals by Montale, Incense Rose by Ava Luxe, Roses by Ava Luxe, Nahema by Guerlain, Mille & Une Roses, Fleurs de Rocaille by Caron, the latter three, thanks to Dee.

Everything's coming up Roses! I have decided to give these scents a place of honor for a time on the tray, and then return them back to their boxes and darkened hideaways for the sake of preservation. Then I will perhaps do a tribute to Chypres, or to Guerlains, or Carons...

Just wanted to share.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 2nd January 2009 at 02:54 AM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Grandmother's Mirrored Perfume Tray

Now THAT's a gift. We're as excited to learn of your good fortune as you probably were to get online and tell us. We all know that every time you look at your gorgeous display, your heart strings will sing.

Gandmother's mirrored perfume tray sounds utterly lovely.
    Could you post some pictures?

Well deserved and well chosen! We will coo if you can post pix.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

How thoughtful and lovely! What a sweet gift.
    WISHLIST: Tokyo Milk Honey & the Moon, Brooklyn Bunny Lettuce
    "Another way to take up more space is to wear perfume. I really love wearing perfume." ANDY WARHOL
    DETROIT RED WINGS: RULING THE HOCKEY UNIVERSE SINCE 1927

Smile Re: Grandmother's Mirrored Perfume Tray

Such a meaningful gift!

happy is the bleu heart<3

Very cool and I especially like the idea of having fragrances of honor.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

I remember my grandma's tray but don't know what happened to it. Thanks for mentioning the votive candle- what a great idea!

Lally
    The splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not rob the little violet of it’s scent nor the daisy of its simple charm. If every tiny flower wanted to be a rose, spring would lose its loveliness.”

Oh Rtamara you got the greastest gift!! It's so wonderful to get things that are passed down from a loved one, especially when it's connected to something you love and love to do. I immediately thought of my maternal GM. She loved to cook. I love to cook as well, but my favorite thing is baking. Well, after my GM passed my Mom gave me her cake pans. I don't know what it was, but my cakes came out so much better when I used her pans. You are so lucky to have something to remember her by. It's even better because it is associated with your love of perfume. I love your idea about featuring a few perfumes on it. Cherish it and enjoy it. What a wonderful Christmas.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

Thanks for your well wishes, Ladies. Posting a photo at present is too labor intensive for me at the moment, but it is a smooth elegant oval tray, about 18 inches at its longest point, with a shallow gold filligree rim surrounding it and four tiny "feet" of gold supporting it. The bottom is covered with a bronze colored felt. The mirror has a few very tiny faint drop shaped imperfections on it, due to age, I assume, but not noticeable at all, and it's the sentimental value that counts, as Divatologist describes in her cake pan story.

merry, all.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Blog Entries

Wonderful gift and a lovely setting I'm sure for your scents. Love the rosy selections. Sadly those trays have gone out of style - but to me they are the height of elegance.

Brings back memories of my grandmother's, which also held her silver backed hairbrush and nail buffer.

Please post us a pic when you are ready
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

What a precious, precious gift. I, too, am using my grandmother's cut-glass perfume tray. I have such happy memories, as a very little girl, of reaching up to sniff her different bottles. She had Bellodgia, Miss Dior, Bal a Versailles. When she died, her perfume tray was the most important thing for me to have. (In addition to the chicken soup pot, which I still use) I think of her every morning when I choose my fragrance.

My mom used to have one but GAVE IT AWAY.
    I'm trying to figure out how to remove the caps from my empty spray bottles and refill them with colored water and display them.
    Then I will find a mirrored try, so help me, I will.

That is a thoughtful and wonderful gift and I like the choices you've made for display.

Ooooh, how wonderful, what a lovely gift. I actually have my Mother's tray, very similar in description to yours, only it's rectangular and sadly the glass is cracked across the centre. I still cherish it just the same, and when it's packed with perfumes you can't really see the crack anyway. I'm just happy to have it!
    "Woe to the one who's love of elixirs, grows into madness"
    :bounce:

what's neat is that somehow an old bottle of L'Air du Temps has resurfaced. And a small tubular bottle of Chantilly that belonged to my Grandmother nearly half full of the juice.
    They smell good. The L'Air du Temps brings back seventies memories for me.
    --------------------------------------
    Have now rotated the Roses out and moved the Guerlains to the place of Honor.

Bottles:
    Mitsouko parfum
    Samsara edp
    Jicky edp gold cannister bottle
    Shalimar parfum gold purse spray
    Vetiver Extreme
    L'Heure Blue parfum 1 0z tester
    Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella

Decants of Habit Rouge edt and Aqua Allegoria Anisia Bella

plus samples of all my other Guerlains standing by, including my favorite thus far:
    Attrape Coeur
    Last edited by rtamara41; 1st January 2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Better late than never. This was my last year's Christmas present this morning I pulled out some of my treasures to hold the place of honor for a few days. Most of them are stored away, the Attrape Couer bee bottle was my gift for this year. I finally managed to get a good photo of it onto photobucket.
    Happy New Year!
    p.s. picture a 50 ml bottle of Musc Ravageur in the front left corner and you'll be up to date this evening.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 2nd January 2009 at 02:53 AM.

Default Re: Grandmother's Mirrored Perfume Tray (Photo)

That is so lovely, and special! You have created something special, in memories, intention and in objects.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

thank you!

It is beautiful. Something to cherish for a long time.

Absolutely lovely.

These dresser trays are a tradition deperately in need of revival. I have some beautiful family silver combs, brushes and mirrors, but no tray.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I used to have one (as did my mother) but that is how my fragrances turned! Sitting out in the light that way all the time. That is when I started hiding the bottles in my dresser drawer where it is dark.

Suggestion: do you have the boxes for any of your fragrances? Often the boxes are decorative and the perfumes can be on display yet still "in the dark"...

I love the look of mirrored trays, especially if one has something beautiful to be reflected upon it, as you do rtarmara! I am also particularly fond of old antique dressing tables with the triad of mirrors. Somehow a mirrored tray seems at home on one of those elegant pieces of furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I used to have one (as did my mother) but that is how my fragrances turned! Sitting out in the light that way all the time. That is when I started hiding the bottles in my dresser drawer where it is dark.

Suggestion: do you have the boxes for any of your fragrances? Often the boxes are decorative and the perfumes can be on display yet still "in the dark"...
    yes, all have boxes and typically "live" there. I imagine the reflection of mirrored light is a double whammy along with the natural light from the window, now that you mention it!
    My preciousssses will only stay out for a couple of days and then back they go into safekeeping.

If I may make a further comment, what I particularly appreciate is your intention to create a kind of shrine or focal-point of memories and scents-of-the-week. It is an extension of yourself, and it is constantly changing and developing. And I bet it creates great feng shui energy.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Oh, my stars. That sight literally warms the heart, knowing its heritage. I am so happy for you. Oh, so beautiful!

Our bedroom is usually a chilly room, and if I had such a tray and collection, I'd lay some glorious sunlight- and dust-shielding fabric over it, maybe with a tassle in the center/on the top, then make a grand gesture in removing it when it's time to apply scent or wow visitors. But that's just me. I have antique counted-thread samplers hanging in our bedroom that I keep draped except when guests come over.

thanks odysseusm, I appreciate your acknowledgement of my little devotional obsession
    Quarry, you have given me a grand idea! Thank you! I may have to implement that.
    I have a number of scarves, handkerchiefs and whatnots from Japan that may find their destiny here!

will post photos of my changing tray display...

rtamara, it's a gorgeous tray.

What is in the round bottle on the right hand side?

Blog Entries

Ooh! I love the filigreed shadow of the tray on the back wall with the bottles' reflections. Such a beautiful family treasure. Thank you for sharing this picture.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Thank you for posting the picture of your gorgeous tray rtamara, it's truly stunning. You've got me thinking I'd like to scour some vintage shops for a perfume tray now! My gran had a glass topped dresser and I loved the little clinking sound I'd hear as a perfume bottle/trinket box would be placed on it - seemed all very grown up and special to me as a child.

Sestra, the bottle to the right is Caron's Aimez Moi in the parfum version. It has a sweet shape but is weighty to the hand. The stopper has CARON engraved across it.

aoud girl and chaelaren - your comments about the "filigreed shadow" and the "clink of the bottles" on the mirrored surface make me realize why I feel at home among basenoters. It's the loving attention to detail that I suppose goes hand in hand with the appreciation of fragrances.

Thanks rtamara; I think it's a lovely looking bottle. The tray itself looks in remarkably good condition. Though the mirror might reflect too much light than is good for the 'fumes in the long term, it certainly emphasises the beautiful colours. Look at that green Chanel 19 and the golden Guerlain.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chaelaran1008 View Post
    My gran had a glass topped dresser and I loved the little clinking sound I'd hear as a perfume bottle/trinket box would be placed on it - seemed all very grown up and special to me as a child.
    What a lovely observation. Although I don't have such associations, I really get what you're saying. Yes, rtamara, exceptional souls gather here.

Here's a saying by George Bernard Shaw, which captures some of the elements in this lovely image and practice:
    "“You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul.”
    odysseusm

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    Here's a saying by George Bernard Shaw, which captures some of the elements in this lovely image and practice:
    "“You use a glass mirror to see your face; you use works of art to see your soul.”
    well now, you just made my day. thank you.