Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Cheap alternative to REFLECTION MAN by Amouage?

I'll have to give Hypnotic Poison a try. It's funny though: we often see threads asking for inexpensive versions of fragrances we adore, but at the end of the day, chances are: you're not gonna find a near carbon copy of your favorite fragrance at a fraction of the cost. Now the GIT fans lucked up with Cool Water, lol, but other than that, this kind of resemblance is hard to find. And even if you find something close, if you can detect the difference, and the inexpensive fragrance is lacking a note or two that you do care for in the other fragrance, then on some level, you will feel like you are settling, and that won't sit right with most...

Le male

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    I'll have to give Hypnotic Poison a try. It's funny though: we often see threads asking for inexpensive versions of fragrances we adore, but at the end of the day, chances are: you're not gonna find a near carbon copy of your favorite fragrance at a fraction of the cost. Now the GIT fans lucked up with Cool Water, lol, but other than that, this kind of resemblance is hard to find. And even if you find something close, if you can detect the difference, and the inexpensive fragrance is lacking a note or two that you do care for in the other fragrance, then on some level, you will feel like you are settling, and that won't sit right with most...
    Just don't sniff up close to the skin and you'll never be disappointed. I usually let cheaper fragrances air out in the opening for at least 5 minutes before I take a whiff. I'll mention another Jacomo fragrance since you brought up GIT. It's Jacomo Deep Blue and the drydown smells like GIT more than any copycat fragrance I've tried. I'm still buying a bottle of GIT, because I love the top notes, but it's damn close.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    It's funny though: we often see threads asking for inexpensive versions of fragrances we adore, but at the end of the day, chances are: you're not gonna find a near carbon copy of your favorite fragrance at a fraction of the cost. Now the GIT fans lucked up with Cool Water, lol, but other than that, this kind of resemblance is hard to find. And even if you find something close, if you can detect the difference, and the inexpensive fragrance is lacking a note or two that you do care for in the other fragrance, then on some level, you will feel like you are settling, and that won't sit right with most...
    I agree with all of that.

I tend to view Reflection as a vanilla-woody fragrance chiefly of interest for being much drier and less sweet than it might have been. If this aspect is what sets it apart for you, then Hypnotic Poison's more gourmand, come-hither approach will be a disappointment. The thing with HP was that I sat there sniffing and thinking, "I know I have smelled the accord at the center of this drydown somewhere before..."

I'll have to check it out again but at this point, I would cautiously endorse the notion the two are related. Which, as you say, is really only about as good as it gets.

I have almost every Amouage. Reflection I don't care for. I agree with the person who compared it to the new Paco Million....but lighter
    Top Favorite Houses: Amouage / Tom Ford (name brand or private collection) / Hermes

"Do the next right thing."

any updates on this one?!? i heard joop jump has a few similarities?!?

can anyone else confirm the similarities with Jacomo Rouge?

Always thought Fleur du Male was v.similar.

le male+1 million