Code of Conduct

Default Creed's OV or Guerlain's Vetiver?

Hey all,
    I wanted to get a "Vetiver" scent and I'm debating between Creed's OV and Guerlain's. I realize that Creed also has other vetiver colognes, but this thread is regarding Original Vetiver ONLY.

Please offer your thoughts on which one you would prefer more, because I can't really decide - they would be almost blind buys because although I have sampled them both seperately at different times, I didn't really form a good opinion (nor did I compare them). I'm leaning towards Guerlain's, just because it's cheaper, but if OV is worth the money, I won't hesitate.

So if you were to get one vetiver scent, would you get OV or Guerlain's?

Default Re: Creed's OV or Guerlain's Vetiver?

Both are fantastic and at the same time very different. Guerlain's offering is fresh, while at the same time a bit darker, perhaps because of the tobacco and type of vetiver used. It also has an early '60's vibe going (at least that's what I get) and is perfect year round.

On the other hand, Creed's offering is much brighter and citrusy. It will make you smell and feel like you have a lot of money. Seriously. Their vetiver is different (Haitian), softer and cleaner, but I do get a very green, marijuana note in the drydown. In my opinion, this is a great one for spring and summer months.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with Guerlain's offering. I enjoy it more all around, and it is perfect for just about any occasion, type of weather, or time of day. I owned both and ended up giving OV away; I've never missed it, as fantastic as it is. If you do really want both, you could always buy Guerlain Vetiver and pick up a bottle of Mugler Cologne, which is almost a dead ringer for OV (or the other way around, actually).
    You are not your perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas V View Post
    Both are fantastic and at the same time very different. Guerlain's offering is fresh, while at the same time a bit darker, perhaps because of the tobacco and type of vetiver used. It also has an early '60's vibe going (at least that's what I get) and is perfect year round.

On the other hand, Creed's offering is much brighter and citrusy. It will make you smell and feel like you have a lot of money. Seriously. Their vetiver is different (Haitian), softer and cleaner, but I do get a very green, marijuana note in the drydown. In my opinion, this is a great one for spring and summer months.

If I had to choose between the two, I would go with Guerlain's offering. I enjoy it more all around, and it is perfect for just about any occasion, type of weather, or time of day. I owned both and ended up giving OV away; I've never missed it, as fantastic as it is. If you do really want both, you could always buy Guerlain Vetiver and pick up a bottle of Mugler Cologne, which is almost a dead ringer for OV (or the other way around, actually).
    Hm... yeah, that's not a bad idea. I'd probably be buying either one soon, so it'd be something I'd wear in the winter months. So go ahead and add that to your criteria (for future replies!) - which one would also smell better in these coming winter months?

Nicolas V is right on the money.
    I would also select (and have) VdG. It's the dirtier and earthier treatment of vetiver and is a far more complex composition featuring pepper and tobacco prominently too. Villoersi's is the same way.
    COV is very similar to Mugler's Cologne. In that sense, Guerlain's Vetiver Sport is more similar to COV.
    Looking at your varied wardrobe, it looks like you might enjoy both but GdV is definitely more distinctive.
    For a "cologne" type composition, I would recommend YSL's Pour Homme (either concentration) instead.
    RM
    --------------------------------------
    "...it'd be something I'd wear in the winter months. So go ahead and add that to your criteria (for future replies!) - which one would also smell better in these coming winter months?..."

For winter, DEFINITELY VdG. However, I like to reserve my vetivers for warmer weather.
    To me, COV would go next to my summer colognes and citruses like Eau Sauvage, Armani Eau Pour Homme, YSL PH, etc.

RM
    Last edited by Renaissance_Man; 26th December 2007 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man View Post
    Nicolas V is right on the money.
    I would also select (and have) VdG. It's the dirtier and earthier treatment of vetiver and is a far more complex composition featuring pepper and tobacco prominently too. Villoersi's is the same way.
    COV is very similar to Mugler's Cologne. In that sense, Guerlain's Vetiver Sport is more similar to COV.
    Looking at your varied wardrobe, it looks like you might enjoy both but GdV is definitely more distinctive.
    For a "cologne" type composition, I would recommend YSL's Pour Homme (either concentration) instead.
    RM
    Alright, so two votes for VdG! Yeah, I definitely like to mix up my wardrobe, which is partly the reason I'm trying to get a vetiver scent - I don't have anything that smells "green" (aside from GIT, but I'm running out of it, so I'm trying to conserve...). I also like colognes with longevity, so if either one has such an issue, it's a BIG turn off.

Thanks for the responses so far.
    --------------------------------------
    Also - what's the difference between Guerlain's Vetiver and Vetiver Extreme? Are they two totally different colognes?
    Last edited by akshay03; 26th December 2007 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Nice collection!

A third vote for Guerlain, for the following reasons. The price is ridiculously cheap, I mean $20-30 for a big bottle if you're happy with a tester. Far far far better value. Second, if you are also going to be using it in winter months, it is more suitable because of the tobacco and woods. Third, it is an absolute classic of male fragrance, every wardrobe should have it. And fourth, given it will be a blind buy, I think the money is all the more important - if you drop $20 and don't like it, life goes on. Longevity and sillage are about equal ie excellent in both cases.

BTW I love Creed OV myself and have it on my wishlist, but I think GV is a better start.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

One more vote for Guerlain.
    The reasons are all the same as were presented here by other gentlemen.
    It`s evergreen classic and the milestone of vetivers.
    I`m still want to find the bottle of this from the very first batch, - how it was in its launch days...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Basenotes Institution

If I had to pick one it'd be Original Vetiver. But Guerlain is just as good...and cheaper too.

I LOVE Original Vetiver, so I have to vote for that. It's a sparkling, slightly sweet take on the note, although I agree with others that it's similar to Mugler Cologne, which I believe is a bit cheaper.

Maybe Guerlain is better, though, since it's so much more reasonably priced.

I've been trying to decide which I like better through actual wearing, and I think I'm leaning towards OV. I find OV to be a "brighter" scent, which I enjoy more. Admittedly, I'm comparing against a vintage Guerlain Vetiver so I don't know if aging of the fragrance has had any effect here.

Good longevity from both, but I find OV lasts longer. Again, bearing in mind the Guerlain Vetiver I've got is an older bottle and I don't know how the prior owner took care of it.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Having only sampled the Creed Original Vetiver, I would still recommend Guerlain Vetiver.
    It is a timeless classic. I wear it more often than any other scent in my wardrobe of 80 or
    so fragrances.

The Creed shares some similarities with Mugler Cologne, so you might also consider
    that one if the Creed strikes your fancy.

Two more I'll suggest you sample if you can: The newly reformulated (2006) Carven Vetiver
    and the newly re-released Givenchy Vetyver. Neither has the longevity of the Guerlain, but both
    are a different take on Vetiver, without a tobacco note. The Givenchy is particulary wonderful,
    but it's longevity is poor, which is about the only thing holding me back from buying it. It is similar
    to the Carven, which I already own and enjoy.

Guerlain is king, though. Also, try Guerlain Vetiver Extreme if you are looking for a
    straight-ahead woody vetiver without tobacco.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 26th December 2007 at 10:10 PM.

One more vote for Creed OV. I prefer the cleaner, fresher delivery of COV; by contrast, I don't think I'd be comfortable with Guerlain's smoky note over the long haul. I own COV but have only sampled Guerlain Vetiver, albeit several times.

p.s. COV and TM may share more similarities than differences, but they're still quite different IMO. I own them both and wear them frequently. Of those two, I'd pick COV.

p.p.s. If cost is the tie-breaker, remember they're all good so don't worry about going with the low bid.
    Last edited by Snafoo; 27th December 2007 at 04:16 AM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

I like both fragrances, but Guerlain Vetiver wins out for me for the same reasons others have listed for favoring it.

As pure vetiver scents go I can't fault the Floris implementation. It's earthy, woody and lasts all day. Well worth a shot and a lot less expensive than Creed's weaker implementation.
    Mind you, if you can find the original 1960's Creed it is far better than the current OV.

Just my 2 ha'penny opinion

I think both are "must haves" in my wardrobe.

Guerlain Vetiver is a timeless classic. It opens fresh and citric, then the tobacco notes appear and finally there is the constant and faithfull bitter green drydown. It is a very versatile scent and should please almost anybody who is into vetiver or green scents. It is not very expensive either.

Creed Original Vetiver really pleased me a lot. It took everything I loved about TM Cologne and from there it improved the longevity and the drydown, which in the Creed is more manly than the sweet thing going in TM Cologne. Creed OV is an excellent scent for the warmer months and one that could be safely used for work.

In my opinion you should get both. But probably the Guerlain Vetiver first, since it is cheaper and perhaps more faithful to the "vetiver" label.

If you buy and really like both scents, next I would suggest you to try Goutal´s Vetiver. It is a bit different, almost medicinal and not so easy to wear, but generally pleases a lot the vetiver lovers.

If price is not an object at all go for the Original Vetiver. It is a fantastic vetiver scent and probably is the very best fresh vetiver fragrance made. That said, there are other vetivers that I would pick first, mostly because I like a little more earth and rooty quality to my vetiver - so I recommend Vetiver Extraordinaire from Frederic Malle or Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver. If price is a concern and you like Creed OV then go for Mugler Cologne - its almost an exact replica of OV (although I think Mugler was on the market first.) Mugler smells completely as good as Creed OV, many people prefer it to OV! Another excellent choice is the Comme des Garcons Vetiveru.

My problem with Guerlain Vetiver is that it is somewhat sweeter vetiver and not nearly as green as OV, nor as earthy as Vetiver Extraordinaire. Instead of damp earth or roots it has tobacco in the drydown - OK, but it just smells a little old fashioned to me.

OV ofcourse...who can resist that stunning green layered bottle !

If you can't afford it, then GV it is ... who can resist such a great value for money !
    -

Hm... looks like it's pretty equal on both fronts... I think I'll start out with Guerlain's and eventually go for OV. With Mugler's... is there a longevity issue when compared to OV?

Cool Re: Creed's OV or Guerlain's Vetiver?

Quote Originally Posted by trezzbr View Post
    Guerlain Vetiver is a timeless classic. It opens fresh and citric, then the tobacco notes appear and finally there is the constant and faithfull bitter green drydown. It is a very versatile scent and should please almost anybody who is into vetiver or green scents. It is not very expensive either.

Creed Original Vetiver really pleased me a lot. It took everything I loved about TM Cologne and from there it improved the longevity and the drydown, which in the Creed is more manly than the sweet thing going in TM Cologne. Creed OV is an excellent scent for the warmer months and one that could be safely used for work.

I wish I'd said that. Though I think OV works even better in the winter months. It has a formal, 'old money' feel to it. I find it a bit soapy--not a bad thing, just an observation. ( Adolfo Domiguez vetiver is, imho the soapiest of all )

Yes, OV and Guerlian are quite different scents. So different, in fact that buying both is fully warranted. I doubt anyone will take you to task for having too many vetivers, when they're about as as far apart as night and day.

My vote goes to Guerlian. Wonderfully complex and long lasting. Not to be worn to work, unless you love your job. It's freedom personified.

You have a good dilemma

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

More sampling at the mall today confirmed that the openings of Mugler Cologne and
    Creed Original Vetiver are extremely similar. The Creed struck me as less soapy, but
    otherwise about the same. I couldn't judge the drydown, as these were tested on paper,
    not on skin.

Both differ from the Guerlain by a great deal. All three are fine. Before shelling out for the
    Creed, I'd be sure to thoroughly sample the Mugler.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 28th December 2007 at 07:04 AM.

I own both and in my opinion Creed OV evolves better than Mugler Cologne as the hours pass. The opening notes are very similar, but I think the drydown is different. It is like the drydown of Cologne is light-green and the drydown of Creed OV is dark green. Also, I think Creed OV has a great longevity.

If money is an issue and you really just want "something" like Creed OV, I think Cologne will be enough for you. But if you really like the smell and a scent in that class, and believe you will be wearing it a lot, I think the extra $$$ paid in the Creed will be in your best interest.

Good luck!

I ended up purchasing Original Vetiver mostly because I had some excess holiday money and I could always purchase Guerlain's later.

I must say I'm really happy with my choice - it's a very clean vetiver. Smells soapy and is lasting quite a while on me. Thanks for everyone's help!

Defnitely OV.
    My daughter said I was like grandpa after trying Guerlain.
    But never did so when I tried recently OV more times.

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post
    I ended up purchasing Original Vetiver mostly because I had some excess holiday money and I could always purchase Guerlain's later.

I must say I'm really happy with my choice - it's a very clean vetiver. Smells soapy and is lasting quite a while on me. Thanks for everyone's help!
    Thanks for letting us know how Original Vetiver is working out for you!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

fwiw, I've never really taken to the Guerlain Vetiver (does nothing for me)...and the next fragrance I'm buying is Orig. Vetiver.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    fwiw, I've never really taken to the Guerlain Vetiver (does nothing for me)...and the next fragrance I'm buying is Orig. Vetiver.
    I feel the same way. I just feel that with so many positive reviews for Guerlain's Vetiver, that I'm missing something. I've even tried the sport & extreme versions to no avail... Creed's OV is on my short list of potential buys...

Quote Originally Posted by akshay03 View Post

x2, IMHO COV is one of the few creeds I spent money on, and will definitely spend again.
    I don't think I could ever tire of COV.
    It's a new classic, IMHO.

For others on the board contemplating COV / Mugler, I urge you to test them both before you buy.
    I personally can't understand how many here speak of COV and Mugler as if they're 99% the same.

Both Creed Original Vetiver and Mugler share one or two very similar notes. It’s a very smooth, and very very green. A leafy, but not a light smell, it’s a very rich, smooth and pleasant green note.

Unfortuneately, the Mugler has not enough of this particular note for me, especially not enough on the dry down (although I do like the drydown). This note(s), which I really like, seems to be in the background for the duration of Mugler’s composition. I was hoping once the synthetic top notes of the Mugler went away, this note would dominate, but it seemed even more distant on the dry down. Very disappointing and unlike Creed Original Vetiver’s use of this shared note

I find Mugler Cologne's first 45 min. to be dominated by several scents I would classify as unisex leaning feminine. It is a sharp, citric, synthetic, detergent smell, and not a pleasant powdery soft detergent-type either. The citric sharpness is as sharp as the opening of Hermes Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, only in a very unnatural, synthetic way. However synthetic the Mugler Citrus is, it is still just as feminine as the Hermes Jardin Sur Le Nil.

It is a harsh, sour combination of bath and body works “Body mist”-type of smell, also a synthetic citrus dishsoap note dominates for a good portion of the composition. Again, these “soapy clean” notes may appeal to others, but I cannot wear the Mugler.

Yes, there is a very smooth, and rich green note it most definitiely shares with Creed Original Vetiver, but in Mugler, this note is extremely weak, and over-powered by notes I dislike.

Also the Mugler base is not smooth or creamy like the creed, but this is expected.

That being said, I think the comparisons between Green Irish Tweed and Cool Water are very fair. GIT’s top is clearly smoother and far superior & natural to the CW top. But, especially on the dry down, where apart from the delicious smoothness of the Creed Ambergris, the two are essentially the same.

I also think Sean John Multi-Platinum/Unforgivable is rightfully compared to Millesime Imperial, and while I prefer Millesime Imperial for the salt, and the refinement/natural undertone, Sean John is still remarkably similar, nearly identical in the most obvious, and important places.

Overall, out of all the colognes which are said to be copied to or from Creed, I feel the Mugler to Original Vetiver is by a wide margin the most false to my nose.

Also, if the classic Guerlain Vetiver isn't right for anyone considering these 2, try the Sport or the extreme. They tend to get bad reviews here, IDK why. I like GV classic GV sport, and even GV extreme. I haven't tried GV Frozen, nor do I plan to, so I can't speak to that. GV extreme is more spicy and w/ smooth incense, GV Sport is a little more bracing, with better citrus, and I think more hot pepper, and alot less tobacco. Guerlain Vetiver sport&extreme are both lacking the floral notes (carnation?) from classic, and still has the good spicy Vetiver very unlike the leafy vetiver of COV, but still very very good.

I like the Guerlain Vetiver Sport about the same as COV, which is alot. Alot alot.
    And they compliment each other well, one being leafy and smooth, the other being rooty and crisp.

But with all that, IMO it's impossible to go wrong with either COV or the Guerlain Vetivers.

I chose OV by Creed. I´m wearing it today. For me is it younger and fresher, than Guerlain Vetiver.
    Brand new Vetiver from Armani Privé "Babylon Vetiver" !!! This fragrance is sooo amazing, but expensive
    120,- Euro (50ml).