Code of Conduct

Default Help! I can't smell my Monsieur de Givenchy

I bought a "vintage" 100mL Monsieur de Givenchy spray bottle on eBay. The bottle was unused, in good condition, and appeared to have been stored in the box, though I don't know under what conditions. It's the square type bottle pictured below.

On application, I get pleasant but ephemeral citrus that quickly dries down to moss. I think I like what I smell, but it seems extremely faint with almost no sillage or longevity. It may be even weaker than Eau d'Orange Verte or Chanel Pour Monsieur (not the concentree). It takes like 4-5 sprays of MdG to get the impact of one spray of YSL PH. I find it hard to believe this is the same fragrance one reviewer called "overpowering".

My question is, has the juice simply gotten old and lost its oomph, or is this just a more subtle fragrance than I expected? I appreciate any insight.

I get so overwhelmed ... by olfactory hues. ~ Phish

Default Re: Help! I can't smell my Monsieur de Givenchy

My bottle has very good sillage and longevity, so maybe like you think it is that particular bottle.......
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Default Re: Help! I can't smell my Monsieur de Givenchy

I get decent longevity, not great and not too much sillage. I have a recent, fairly fresh bottle.
    After about 4 hours I need to "look" or the scent and that is after applying at least 8 sprays.
    I love this stuff and I wish it were more powerful but I guess it's understatement is part of it's charm and make up.