Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default A little story -- Dec. 26 UPDATE

I have a friend of 24 years standing. We met when her need for typesetting and design of her antique sampler reproduction kits and catalog brought her to my newly hatched graphics business.

Until I discovered fragrances three or four years ago, I didn't know that M had a modest fragrance wardrobe. She said I made her come out of the closet when I expressed my newfound enthusiasm for perfume. It was she who introduced me to Angel and Angel Innocent and Thymes Fig Leaf & Cassis.

As I gathered fragrance samples, I set aside those I thought M might like, and one day she fell in love with Susanne Lang Peony Rose, which, as luck would have it, was discontinued. However, Lang & Co. said they'd mix up a bottle just for M. My friend was thrilled. I don't think she could believe a perfumer would do such a thing. Well, months dragged on, and the Peony Rose never blossomed forth. I added my email voice to M's pleas for a response. We were bummed, but of course M was so much more grieved than I.

About two months ago, M developed a cold that went from bad to worse and dragged on. Her doc gave her a string of antibiotics to fight pneumonia, and still things got worse. (If Lievje's son weren't getting better, I wouldn't even want to relate now how sick M became.) She was finally hospitalized, and I don't need to share details, but after a week, she was sent home with stitches, steroids, and a three-month program for oxygen.

M's three-level, historic house was strung with tubes so she could be attached to oxygen in whichever area she needed to be. And she was forbade from going outside. Outside is where she longed to be, with her sheep, chickens, peacocks, llamas, and who-knows-what critters. Her ex-husband, who got the 40 acres next door in their divorce, had to visit every day to keep things going and then help dispense M's beloved flock.

I was happy to think that at least M was on the mend. I sent her a little giftie, some frag samples I thought she'd like, and a card with a puffin bird on it, along with the cheer "Keep on Puffin'!" She was looking forward to smelling pretty, non-hospital things again.

Then, three days ago, M forwarded this email to me from the operations manager of Susanne Lang Parfumerie in Toronto:
    I am so sorry for the delay. Susanne was travelling extensively. We are currently blending your order and it will be $70.00 per 50ml bottle and I will need a mailing address and credit card information and I will send right away.

As M said:
    JOY! SANTA HAS COME THROUGH! EVERYTHING'S SQUARED AWAY WITH MEGHAN AND SHE SAID SHE'S SHIPPING THE PEONY ROSE TOMORROW. I AM THRILLED, BECAUSE ABSOLUTELY NOTHING COMPARES.
    IN-SCENTS,
    M

I thought you'd enjoy a story with a fragrant, happy ending.
    Last edited by Quarry; 26th December 2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Update

Smile Re: A little story

I love a happy fragrant ending, and that is truly a touching one. What a lovely thing for the perfumery to do. There are such wonderful people out there!

Blog Entries

Default Re: A little story

Oh Joy - what a wonderful story. Glad your M is on the mend! I empathize with her pain of being so sick that she couldn't be out with her critters. I hope she will have more flocks/herds in the future and am sure she will love her frag.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

I'm thrilled for her !
    What a wonderful holiday story...
    Being a critter lover, I felt her pain.

Kiss her for me.

How wonderful! I had a horrible feeling your story was going to have a sad ending, and I much prefer happy ones!
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

Beautiful! So happy for the happy ending.

What a story! I was glad to see it has a happy ending in which the heroine winds up smelling divine!

Wonderful story. I love it when people come through to do something special.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

A wonderful story of good friendship, love, and even redemption. Good luck.

I am glad for the happy ending too, and best wishes to your friend. I say this because I started coming down with my third cold in three months last Monday, and what started out as an annoying cough has now turned into bronchitis. I've not been able to do anything for the last four days. I *think* it's starting to improve, even though my coughing fits would lead you to believe I have a family of seals in my flat! But in light of your tale I may take it a bit more seriously.
    I hope your friend loves her Peony Rose.

Glad for the happy ending , and that M's on the mend .
    Vijay"Maisonstinky"

I got a little nervous there, thinking it was going to end badly.
    So glad for the good news!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Indiscreet View Post
    I am glad for the happy ending too, and best wishes to your friend. I say this because I started coming down with my third cold in three months last Monday, and what started out as an annoying cough has now turned into bronchitis. I've not been able to do anything for the last four days. I *think* it's starting to improve, even though my coughing fits would lead you to believe I have a family of seals in my flat! But in light of your tale I may take it a bit more seriously.
    As funny as the mental image of barking seals in an apartment is, I, too, have a greater respect for the seriousness of seemingly routine colds. I had one two years ago I now refer to as "the coughing cold" cuz it hung on for weeks, especially odd as I rarely suffer cold. I suspect mutating viruses and bacteria are to blame. Take good care, Indi.

Blog Entries

Yes Indiscreet - go to the doctor! And get well soon.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

What a nice story! I'm glad things worked out so well.

I never fail to be surprised by my own self centeredness, however, as my primary feeling at the moment is regret. I recall when Peony Rose came out, and how much I loved the bottle, but I didn't get it. A rare moment of restraint.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I'm so glad this story ends well... with a great bottle of fragrance to boot!
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

Thank you for sharing such a touching story. Nice to read here on Christmas Eve.

I do think viruses are mutating, doing weird things.....it seems no matter what people catch these days they end up WAY sicker than they used to, and with some serious lingering issues as "M" did.

I'm glad she's on the mend and Santa has her taken care of!!

What a great story!
    As I was reading i was thinking of expecting gloom and doom but it all came to a very happy ending and i was left with the feeling that not everything is black and white and that I, too, can be happy for the joy of others when everything else seems to go wrong.
    Thank you for sharing with us.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A little story -- Dec. 26 UPDATE

December 26 brings an email from M:

It came in an unmarked box, left outside for almost 24 hours, anonymous except for her name. It's a puffer. What a thrilling Christmas present. I'll be smelling like a peony rose for weeks. You get a big thrill in the first five minutes, then it lulls in to a spectacular fade. I adore the first hit, the heavenly aftermath is even better.

Just two sprays: one onto my gown, the other onto my oxygen tube.
    Blip.
    Off to Nirvana.
    I'm still amazed that a major parfumiere cooked up a special batch just for me. She didn't imprint the scent name on the new bottle. It's just an anonymous batch.

This is a very touching story, and also an amazing one. I can't believe they cooked up a batch for her.
    It's serendipitous the bottle came her way when it did, and not when she first wanted it. At this point, it's become medicine for the soul. What more could you ask from your fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    December 26 brings an email from M:

It came in an unmarked box, left outside for almost 24 hours, anonymous except for her name. It's a puffer. What a thrilling Christmas present. I'll be smelling like a peony rose for weeks. You get a big thrill in the first five minutes, then it lulls in to a spectacular fade. I adore the first hit, the heavenly aftermath is even better.

Just two sprays: one onto my gown, the other onto my oxygen tube.
    Blip.
    Off to Nirvana.
    I'm still amazed that a major parfumiere cooked up a special batch just for me. She didn't imprint the scent name on the new bottle. It's just an anonymous batch.
    Fabulous! It's almost a bespoke scent at this point. Thanks for sharing this, Quarry.

Impressive and gracious response from the Susanne Lange (sp?) Co. I'm so happy for your friend that she can enjoy her favorite scent again. That story makes me want to try some of their scents being that the company has such a big heart!