Code of Conduct

Default We need more Females

no matter how many of you say otherwise, the main reason why men buy perfume is to "be noticed", and since i am assuming the majority of males here are heterosexual.....they want to be noticed by opposite sex.

thus, what we need is female's perspective(and lots of it), what male/unisex scents get their reaction(good, bad and the ugly)....and sadly i see nothing but guys talking about their colognes here.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

Default Re: We need more Females

i am a heterosexual as well and i am one of the few here that will agree that you probably started out liking frags for the reason that you get noticed by women(or others in general)...but I will admit also that over the course of a year , this forum and all the great guys on here have somewhat changed my perspective on frags. I will also tell you that you might not want to make assumptions as to someones sexuality on here because there are a lot of openly homosexual men on the forum ,as well ,and they might be into scent to attract a man...or like many people here...they are just into it to smell good for themselves. In fact that is why i like this site, because even though from time to time one or a bunch of us might bicker, its the diverse opinions that make this such an interesting hobby...whether you are heterosexual, homosexual, male, female, etc..

.I agree that a female perspective is needed, but many will tell you to post in the female frag discussion board...the ladies are usually very nice and will give you their perspective if you act like a gentleman on the board.

As for what women have complimented me on, here ya go:
    1. Issey Miyake Bleau
    2. Jean paul Gauttier2
    3. John Varvatos
    4. Kenneth Cole Reaction
    5. Lorenzo Villoressi musk
    6. Pi by Givenchy
    7. Egoiste by Chanel

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    no matter how many of you say otherwise, the main reason why men buy perfume is to "be noticed", and since i am assuming the majority of males here are heterosexual.....they want to be noticed by opposite sex.

thus, what we need is female's perspective(and lots of it), what male/unisex scents get their reaction(good, bad and the ugly)....and sadly i see nothing but guys talking about their colognes here.
    Welcome to basenotes acceptfacts.

The main reason why I buy perfume is because I love the way it smells on me and the way it makes me feel. I think you will find this is the case with many men here on Basenotes (regardless of sexual orientation).

I joined Basenotes and post to get many different perspectives on fragrances - regardless of gender. I think you will find that the sometimes a Basenoters gender has very little to do with their knowledge of fragrance, the ability to describe fragrances, how sexy or attractive a scent is, etc.

If you find it sad that Basenotes is 'nothing but guys talking about their colognes here' perhaps this is not the site for you. I hope not.

^^ What jdnba said.

This subject has been covered many times in the past and the results could be found by doing a simple search, both in the men's and women's sections. Good luck.
    Last edited by Nicolas V; 26th December 2007 at 08:00 PM.
    You are not your perfume.

Unfortunately, you are too late. The scents that men have bowled over women with (as distinct from the ones that women like), have been discussed ad nauseum here - so much so that older members groan when they see another post relating to it.

Do a search of the old threads to get heaps of ideas. Just ignore any nonsense you see about "less is more" - instead spray on six or more squirts of whatever you decide on, and don't worry about what anyone else thinks.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

The main reason why I buy perfume is because I love the way it smells on me and the way it makes me feel. I think you will find this is the case with many men here on Basenotes (regardless of sexual orientation).

I joined Basenotes and post to get many different perspectives on fragrances - regardless of gender. I think you will find that the sometimes a Basenoters gender has very little to do with their knowledge of fragrance, the ability to describe fragrances, how sexy or attractive a scent is, etc.

If you find it sad that Basenotes is 'nothing but guys talking about their colognes here' perhaps this is not the site for you. I hope not.
    Your words echo my thoughts...to the letter!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post

Yeah, what he said.

I wear fragrances for many reasons. "Getting noticed" is far down on my list.

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

I would be nice if more women posted on the mens' boards. There's no reason why they couldn't if they wanted to. Some topics would surely benefit from the female perspective, I agree.

As far as the issue of being noticed: I think I like it if someone, especially female but not solely female, notices a fragrance I am wearing, and that it conveys good taste and style on my part. I put some effort into everything I do, including choice of fragrance. I don't think I wear fragrance, however, in such a way as to get noticed. Rather, if one is discerning enough to notice, one notices something very nice. If you get my meaning.
    Last edited by Joe_Frances; 27th December 2007 at 03:02 AM.

blech. seriously, a lot of us enjoy fragrance like others enjoy a good scotch or a wine, or nice cars, and similarly you can appreciate them without feeling as though they must appeal to the opposite sex. one phrase you'll find in endless threads here is 'i wear cologne for me', and if that's true anywhere it's true here. if you want a womens perspective, post in the female forum. don't start a thread that's been done to death by people with a passing fancy in perfumes, often more constructively than you.

and sadly i see nothing but guys talking about their colognes here.
    methinks basenotes isn't exactly what you're after in a cologne forum.
    Last edited by chad278; 27th December 2007 at 08:40 AM.
    current favourites: guerlain vetiver, trumper eucris, adp colonia
    latest swag: cdg man2, lolita lempicka au masculin
    next buys: keiko mecheri oliban, michael by michael kors

Quote Originally Posted by chad278 View Post
    blech. seriously, a lot of us enjoy fragrance like others enjoy a good scotch or a wine, or nice cars, and similarly you can appreciate them without feeling as though they must appeal to the opposite sex.

Agreed...this sums it up quite nicely .
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I agree, we need more females..........for me to spray on !
    -

sadly i see nothing but guys talking about their colognes here.

Here? In the male fragrance discussion forum? How pathetic!
    --------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I agree, we need more females..........for me to spray on !
    Hey now...this is a family show!
    Last edited by knightowl; 27th December 2007 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I like this forum for not being overly focused on how to impress other people with their scent.

And I like when Moondeva and Tigrushka post their reviews and opinions here. I like diversity in opinions and would certainly welcome more women posting here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I like this forum for not being overly focused on how to impress other people with their scent.

And I like when Moondeva and Tigrushka post their reviews and opinions here. I like diversity in opinions and would certainly welcome more women posting here.
    I have been enjoying reading the mens forum each day. Rarely feel the need to post here; the reading in and of itself is an education. I've learned a lot about frags from menfolks with far more educated noses than mine, and relish the lively discussions. I actually think it's great that basenotes was founded as a mens fragrance forum, and the posts here combat gender stereotypes. They have opened my eyes and nostrils to exploring scents irregardless of marketing labels homme and femme and this forum certainly explodes the social constructions of straight/gay/young/old as well. Since I wear and experience fragrance for myself, first and foremost, and only incidentally care if others are aware of it (though I do like my husband to enjoy my choices) it was an eyeopener for me to begin to question my own narrow acculturation to fragrance as a female - and to recognize that men aren't limited to Old Spice and Grey Flannel (nor are women limited to things "girly")

Thank you gentlemen.
    The fragrance of flowers spreads only in the direction of the wind. But the goodness of a person spreads in all directions.
    Chanakya

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Frances View Post
    I would be nice if more women posted on the mens' boards. There's no reason why they couldn't if they wanted to. Some topics would surely benefit from the female perspective, I agree.
    So come on over to the Wild Side, Boys!

It's called the "Women's Fragrance Forum". We are transcentual, you know.
    Last edited by rtamara41; 27th December 2007 at 12:07 PM.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

What did you expect in a "Male Fragrance Discussion" bbs? And why are you assuming that everyone else here has the same motivations that you do? For myself, I buy what I enjoy and don't worry too much what others think.

I think acceptfacts has been adequately "educated" on both the intent of the forum and the forum members' consensus that we enjoy fragrances for their own sake and not primarily for attracting others. Nuf said.

Thanks, DeeOlive, for providing the other side's perspective. I do visit the women's forum pretty frequently and find the style of the posts there refreshingly different from the men's. If only the internet could transmit smells along with text, life would be perfect!
    Last edited by Snafoo; 27th December 2007 at 01:03 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

acceptfacts >> The thread got me in !! Wow - You need to take a break & go smell some flowers man !! they are unisex & enjoy their reality whil sniffing ... "no matter how many of you say otherwise" followed by "the main reason why men buy perfume is to be noticed " are bold , brazen dictator type assumptions .. and I ain't accepting those as facts .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Hmmm - reading some of these responses makes me pine a bit for the good old days - I recollect one member would often post about how he was wearing fragrance X and how lady Y reacted to it before he landed her.

I also recollect how one Hollywood magazine published a list of scents by a world authority that were known for their effectiveness with women (the list corresponded exactly with Grant's then list on the main site).

What's happened here? How did we get to slowly become so respectable that we stopped looking at scents as weapons of mass seduction, but instead as something akin to fine scotch? Where did we lose our way? Not everyone here has gotten married during that time.

I blame this on the advent of niche scents - lots of money forked out for no worthwhile results - so people started rationalising all sorts of good reasons to like the scents in and of themselves, rather than for their usefulness at achieving a goal.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Hmmm - reading some of these responses makes me pine a bit for the good old days - I recollect one member would often post about how he was wearing fragrance X and how lady Y reacted to it before he landed her.

I also recollect how one Hollywood magazine published a list of scents by a world authority that were known for their effectiveness with women (the list corresponded exactly with Grant's then list on the main site).

What's happened here? How did we get to slowly become so respectable that we stopped looking at scents as weapons of mass seduction, but instead as something akin to fine scotch? Where did we lose our way? Not everyone here has gotten married during that time.

I blame this on the advent of niche scents - lots of money forked out for no worthwhile results - so people started rationalising all sorts of good reasons to like the scents in and of themselves, rather than for their usefulness at achieving a goal.
    Renato
    Well, Renato, I know YOU've gotten married since then, so you're not contributing any more accidental emails to the forum.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I've had several compliments on Jako (Lagerfeld).

Interesting interpretation, Renato. I think that scent is generally seductive whether that is the wearer's intention or not.

I like reading the men's board and think the honesty and directness of the posts is refreshing. However, if anyone wishes specific female input, or vice versa, I've seen people post threads on either forum, specifically asking for assistance. Join us on the female fragrance forum whenever you have an interest in a woman's perspective!

Thumbs up Re: We need more Females

Quote Originally Posted by rtamara41 View Post
    So come on over to the Wild Side, Boys!

It's called the "Women's Fragrance Forum". We are transcentual, you know.
    Now that's an invitation I can't possibly pass up...

Sorry, I didn't find the question so stupid as it would seem from several responses. Not new, I admit - but an obvious ambition to use scents to attract is quite normal.
    When I was young in communism behind the iron curtain I had no chance to use good scents to attract. I feel sorry for that when I look back.

Personally, I wish the women and men forums weren't separated. I'm interested in both feminine and masculine perfumes, wear both and share the collection with my husband. I'm always interested in the male perspective, and while I wear scent mostly for my own pleasure, it's also part of the front I present to the world, just like fashion and makeup. I blog about all of these aspects of "beauty" and a point I always make is about a scent/trend/color actually being attractive, otherwise why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by the non blonde View Post
    Personally, I wish the women and men forums weren't separated. I'm interested in both feminine and masculine perfumes, wear both and share the collection with my husband. I'm always interested in the male perspective, and while I wear scent mostly for my own pleasure, it's also part of the front I present to the world, just like fashion and makeup. I blog about all of these aspects of "beauty" and a point I always make is about a scent/trend/color actually being attractive, otherwise why bother?

ding ding ding.....we got a winner....=)

agreed 100%.
    --------------------------------------
    P.S i also have to agree that although the original intent(going way back when) of perfume purchase had to do more with outside attention than personal attraction to the smell, with time.....the love for different scents and the way it interacts with your skin is the reason for that constant search for something great.

Example....i know many,many females love M7 but you couldnt force me to wear that disturbing concoction with a gun to my head...same goes for A*men.
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 27th December 2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

It isn't uncommon for new members to tell the site how it should be and how it should change its structure. Here's a link to a thread involving some of the very issues posited in these last few posts, and I link to it so that I don't have to write it again.

I hope this helps:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=183814
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Even though it's a variation on a common theme here, this is a thread to be cherished. I don't think I'm the only one of the femmes here who is rarely, if ever, told that I'm too quiet.
    Sending BEMs scuttling back to Betelgeuse with my fierce fumage!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=200749

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    ...rather than for their usefulness at achieving a goal.
    Renato
    I have goals and try to reach them, and using aesthetics to reach a goal is one way to do it, but sometimes I get tired of chasing after success. It can be stressful.

A word to acceptfacts:

I do think women, and men for that matter, respond romantically or sexually to smells, but I think most humans react much more to other things: appearance (for men, both gay and straight); personality (women seem to think this is more important); serious intentions; even the ability to form and sustain a relationship. I suppose when you're young, it's all about "getting laid;" but later on it tends to be about other things as well.

Nothing wrong with young guys looking for sexual adventure... I would worry about guys who didn't when they're young.

Just keep in mind that we are not all young, or all interested in sexual exploits without attachment. Oh, and BTW, I wouldn't lay odds about the proportions of gay and straight guys on the board...
    Last edited by JaimeB; 27th December 2007 at 09:18 PM.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

yeah...but i believe straight and gay males can surely benefit from an unbiased female's perspective.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

yeah...but i believe straight and gay males can surely benefit from an unbiased female's perspective.
    Absolutely... You should check out and post on the Women's Fragrance board for a start... and a Shared board might not be a bad idea at all...
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    Well, Renato, I know YOU've gotten married since then, so you're not contributing any more accidental emails to the forum.
    --Chris
    Hi Chris,
    Thank goodness those days are over.
    Kiton was the scent that led to my married state.
    KL Homme led to the other incident.
    I use them sparingly nowadays.
    Renato

Cool Re: We need more Females

Well, being the living Buddha--or at least an aspiring Boddhisatva--I do not care at all what ANYONE thinks of me; it's just too shallow.

That's why I haven't bathed in weeks, I'm unemployed, and on the first of each month I try to explain to my landlord that " time " is an illusion.

I only admire fragrances as works of art, just like I admired my '72 battleship grey Jag with red leather interior-- though I spent a fortune on it, and it spent more time in the shop than getting me from point A to B.

Do you think I considered for one moment the effect driving a Jag would have on the babes? Huh? Do ya?

Well, that Jag broke me financially, but it was aesthetically da bomb. Ars gratia artis !

As to beautiful women, would I really want one so superficial that she would be attracted to me for the scent I wear? My ability to hold down a job? The clothes I wear? My personal hygiene?

Nonsense! Whenever I see a pretty girl I simply walk up to her--even at 1 a.m. on a lonely bus stop--and say: " I want to love and be loved. What do you want? "

My old Zen Master would have been proud. Honesty is next to celibacy, I mean,-- Oh never mind.

If she responds favorably, and we end up doing the wild thing at my place, then I have to make sure that, although I'm heterosexual, they don't perceive me as too " macho "

Easily the best way to accompish this sit her in front of the computer and go directly to BaseNotes!

The " Fragrance Industry Discussion Forum. " is particularly rewarding. I believe there's a thread going on right now about Tom Ford's naked derriere that's several pages long. Par for the course in that particular forum.

Meanwhile, back to planet Earth:

I'll skip re-posting here my " BABE MAGNETS AND THEIR MISSION STATEMENTS. " The wise can find it on page 14 in The Female Discussion Forum under the very first thread:

" What scents chicks dig/ females love/ blah blah blah "

In fact, you can find a lot there, except the answer to that question . . .

Waddaya know! It varies with each woman (Or so the sly vixens would have us believe !)

BTW, Renato's niche point is well taken. How many of us can answer a woman's query as to which fragrance we'd find more alluring on her:

Index Tuberosa, Eau de Camille, Verte Violette, A la Nuit or (even the more popular) Narciso Rodriguez?

And they're not even all that 'niche.' Others beloved by the women here at BN are far more obscure.

I think they'd be lucky if they could find 100 men who've smelled most--I won't say all--of the well known designer frags. Yep, even the ones currently sold at Sepphora's.

*sigh*

Then there was the day when I bought $300 samples of men's niche--and got compliments galore on John Varvatos.

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 28th December 2007 at 12:10 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Blog Entries

Well, I'm a lesbian who primarily wears more masculine fragrances. So, I typically post here because I'm interested in the fragrances that are discussed on this board. I do visit the Female Fragrance board often, though, because many times they are discussing some unisex & even some masculine fragrances that I like. There are wonderful & helpful people all around this website.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Absolutely... You should check out and post on the Women's Fragrance board for a start... and a Shared board might not be a bad idea at all...
    For me the way it is now it's easy to navigate. Male scents and female scents are just topics that help to organize this form, the way I perceive it. It should not set a limit on WHO can post on each board and make people of all enders and orientations feel welcome to benefit and contribute.

Mars needs women.

Quote Originally Posted by knightowl View Post
    Mars needs women.
    pump up the volume

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    pump up the volume
    put the needle on the record...

I could care less about getting compliments on my cologne. I wear it for myself. Nobody compliments me on the $35 Armani socks I wear but I will continue to wear them due to the way they make me feel. I have many expensive items that have rarely ever seen human eyes but I enjoy owning them nonetheless.

I wear perfume for its antiseptic quality - the high percentage of alcohol is very effective in killing unwanted bacterias on the skin.

Quote Originally Posted by eau_de_amour View Post
    I wear perfume for its antiseptic quality - the high percentage of alcohol is very effective in killing unwanted bacterias on the skin.
    That's very original lol. But have you read the "dangerous scents" thread?

Quote Originally Posted by samplermike View Post
    I could care less about getting compliments on my cologne. I wear it for myself. Nobody compliments me on the $35 Armani socks I wear but I will continue to wear them due to the way they make me feel. I have many expensive items that have rarely ever seen human eyes but I enjoy owning them nonetheless.
    I basically wear scent for myself too. I only time someone commented on my scent
    was when I had just spritzed at the office and my co-worker walked by and smelled it
    in the air. I've worn for years. No compliments, no criticisms.

On the other hand, I've had plenty of looks when walking around the outdoor shopping
    mall with a digital camera and a large, expensive lens. That never happens with fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    On the other hand, I've had plenty of looks when walking around the outdoor shopping
    mall with a digital camera and a large, expensive lens. That never happens with fragrance.
    Nevertheless I don't think they admire its smell. Nothing can be perfect.

Cool Re: We need more Females

Example....i know many,many females love M7 but you couldnt force me to wear that disturbing concoction with a gun to my head...same goes for A*men.
    I concur, there are some things even i won't do to get lai--um noticed.

Of course if you added Insense Ultramarine, Quorum, Pino Sylvestre and Joop to M7 and A*men all together, you might beg the gunman to pull the trigger.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.