Code of Conduct

Default Should I get Habit Rouge and what's the difference old/new?

One store is getting rid of Habit Rouge EDT older version - before it was recently repackaged and probably reformulated.

I like it, and I don't have any Habit Rouge in my collection. At the same time, I don't know if I should get it.

What do you guys think and how it compares with newer EDC/EDT/EDP editions? I read somewhere here the comparisons between the newer three versions, but how do they compare to the older EDT formula? And actually, how can you tell that this is older bottle? I think it's old, but I might be wrong. It looks old to me though. They don't have any other versions, and stores nearby don't carry Habit Rouge at all for some reason. So I can't compare.

It costs around $28 for 100 ml.

What do you think?

Default Re: Should I get Habit Rouge and what's the difference old/new?

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    I read somewhere here the comparisons between the newer three versions, but how do they compare to the older EDT formula? .

It costs around $28 for 100 ml.

What do you think?
    I presume you are referring to Scentemental's excellent comparison of the 3.

I own the EDC and EDT, and slightly prefer the EDC (but only slightly). I did not bring it with me to Boston, so I bought a bottle of EDT cheaply on the net (it in fact happens to be the vintage one, so I can comment directly on your question, got a vintage Vetiver too!)

The vintage EDT is a very fine fragrance, and a steal at that price. It has a strong blast of citrus to open before the powdery Guerlinade notes take over. In this respect, I find the EDC a little fresher and less powdery. Smells a bit "old" but very distinguished, and I'm happy to wear it as a 31yo.

I'd say buy it at that price. At the end of the day, the difference is small (not including the EDP) and every collection should have one bottle at such a cheap price.

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

hi
    none should live without Habit Rouge

i had the old one , i appreciated it a lot but it gave me headache: rich nearly too rich and certainly a little bit old-fashioned

to my nose, there are three periods in the recent history of Habit Rouge EDT:
    - before the relaunch ( before 2002): the old original formula;
    - the first relaunched formula (from 2002 to...? 2007?) : very different of the original, with more synthetic and metallic headnotes
    - the second relaunched formula ( in 2007 ?) with a packaging slightly different: a way back toward the original formula; a little bit less rich but as complex (and that doesn't give me headache)

the EDC cologne seems to have remained quite similar; it's close to the original with a more citrussy head and a less powerdy drydown; sillage is good

the EDP is a totally different stuff

and to finish the EDT light: a cremy lemon; not light at all, with a less vanilla drydown

hope it may help you

Thanks. This helps a lot.

Now, can someone help me identifying this bottle: can someone post pictures of older/newer packaging? This has tall red box with I think black lines on corners, maybe I'm wrong though. It is not 2007 for sure. What's the difference between before and after 2002?

Or do you have links with pictures?

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Boal View Post
    Thanks. This helps a lot.

Now, can someone help me identifying this bottle: can someone post pictures of older/newer packaging? This has tall red box with I think black lines on corners, maybe I'm wrong though. It is not 2007 for sure. What's the difference between before and after 2002?

Or do you have links with pictures?
    I would imagine the Basenotes member MrGuerlain can help answer this. You might want to PM him, if he doesn't notice and respond to this thread. He is an amazing resource for all facts related to Guerlain.

The canonical description of the various versions of Habit Rouge is found in the post by
    scentemental in this thread:
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=175073

I only own the EdT in the older style packaging, which is a good scent, but not as easy to
    warm to as Vetiver or Heritage. For the Guerlain lover, though, it's indispensible.
    At $28/100ml, and knowing that you like it, I think it's a safe purchase. I really doubt
    any reformulation is going to be better.

The bottle I have is from a gift set, so I don't know what the corresponding box looks like,
    but my bottle looks the same as this one shown on the scentiments.com website, except
    mine has a gold cap instead of silver, and the red label has a gold border.
    http://www.scentiments.com/Product/S....aspx?id=96837
    I believe the above link shows the latest packaging.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 28th December 2007 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Corrections

on amazon you can find images of the different packagings / bottles corresponding to different formulations

- this link shows you the old one (packaging and formula)
    http://www.amazon.com/Habit-Rouge-Gu...8833902&sr=1-2

- this one : the 2002 relaunched packaging / formula
    http://www.amazon.com/Habit-Rouge-Gu...8833902&sr=1-5

- and this last one : the newest packaging (and to me with a different formula, closer to the old one)
    http://www.amazon.com/Habit-Rouge-Gu...833902&sr=1-11
    --------------------------------------
    and a link to an image of EDT légère (light):
    http://www.amazon.com/Habit-Rouge-Gu...834453&sr=1-10
    Last edited by germanomio; 28th December 2007 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks for the links, germanomio. I note that Guerlain has also updated the Vetiver box,
    matching this new styling on their Habit Rouge box. I do hope the formula is not damaged.
    http://www.amazon.com/Guerlain-Vetiv...70024&sr=1-127

Hi Mike - thanks for your confidence in me. But I only own the two latest editions of Habit Rouge EdT, and I'm one of those insensitive people that really can't detect any big difference between them.

Btw: nothing is indicating that Guerlain's new, handsome boxes also means new formulations.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I would imagine the Basenotes member MrGuerlain can help answer this. You might want to PM him, if he doesn't notice and respond to this thread. He is an amazing resource for all facts related to Guerlain.

I have an Habit Rouge vintage decant and i really can't stand the first two hours of it. Is the newer version different on the opening? I really don`t like that dirty citrus opening, i`d like a version that has the same edt structure but with the opening shorter or cleaner...

I don't like the opening either. I tried to acclimate myself to it but in the end I couldn't do it. I also got a bot of Shalimar Light in the meantime, and I prefer that anyway, so I swapped off HR a while back.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 10th May 2010 at 07:17 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    I have an Habit Rouge vintage decant and i really can't stand the first two hours of it. Is the newer version different on the opening? I really don`t like that dirty citrus opening, i`d like a version that has the same edt structure but with the opening shorter or cleaner...
    rickbr - are you talking about Eau de Toilette or Eau de Cologne?

I wore Habit Rouge back when it was Habit Rouge: an extremely sophisticated, sweet vanilla and lemon concoction with a great floral vibe that demanded a high level of sophistication from the wearer. I could barely rise to the occasion. I was dating a younger person at the time who wore Clinique Happy, it was an interesting battle when the two got together. Guess which one came out on top?
    The re-formulation is pleasant enough, but in the process it lost a lot of what made it Habit Rouge in the first place: an uncompromising representation of French sophistication.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 13th May 2010 at 04:45 AM.

Simply, Habit Rouge is a scent that I cannot live without. I carry a small rollerball applicator with me everyday. Luca Turin calls this a scent with "dandified frippery." LOL! I don't mind the newer version, which is like a citrus/leather eau fraiche.

I have not tried the EDC, but the current EDT is more citrusy and leathery, IMO. The older version I have (2002 or so) seems less so, and more floral.

The EDP has agarwood (oud) and it's almost like a flanker in this respect. A wonderful scent to have. Finally, the rare parfum is heavy and opulent and spicier, if I recall.

At $28 that you are considering, it's worth a buy.
    Last edited by Primrose; 12th May 2010 at 10:32 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

The EdP version (sold right now is US as "Beau Cavalier) has flipped me out. I never got to like the EdT much, but Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier is now a regular player in my scent rotation.

I'm not sure if I catch the differences in notes so much- I see the agarwood referenced a lot. For me, it's smoother and a bit more refined with better longevity than regular EdT. I agree the opening on the EdT is pretty harsh. This one is easier to handle.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 12th May 2010 at 10:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    The EdP version (sold right now is US as "Beau Cavalier) has flipped me out. I never got to like the EdT much, but Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier is now a regular player in my scent rotation.

I'm not sure if I catch the differences in notes so much- I see the agarwood referenced a lot. For me, it's smoother and a bit more refined with better longevity than regular EdT. I agree the opening on the EdT is pretty harsh. This one is easier to handle.
    Pretty wild silver bottle, too, covered with the double-G ciphers and stirrups! I love it!
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    rickbr - are you talking about Eau de Toilette or Eau de Cologne?
    Eau de Toilette. The vintage EDT on me has a talcy dirt citrus opening that I don't like at all...

I really prefer the EDP Habit Rouge, probably because of the agarwood. It's got everything the EDT has, the what someone called "dirty citrus", soapy somewhat odd but lovely topnotes, but is a richer and deeper HR. (In the current formulation it is the one with the Habit Rouge on the bottle. By that I mean, the pl/leather surround.) But if you can get the older HR EDT I'd go for it, just "on principle." My 2 penteth anyhow. (I guess this is same as the Beau Cavalier version in the US, I got my EDP from Scotland.)
    Last edited by actiasluna; 12th May 2010 at 11:31 PM.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/38140"][B]Actias luna's fragrance reviews[/B][/URL] | Now blogging with [i]AromiErotici, Carrie Meredith, Mimi Gardenia, Sugandaraja, Asha, bluesoul, shamu1, Redneck Perfumisto and Daly Beauty[/i] at [URL="http://aromierotici.blogspot.com/"][B]Il Mondo di Odore[/B][/URL] [URL="http://www.ebsqart.com/Artist/Kathleen-Harper/3794/Art-Portfolio/1/"]
    [B]Art[/B]: Actias luna's other hobby[/URL] - along with some impromptu [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/268480-Why-Mouchoir-de-Monsieur-Act-III-Resumed"]"performance writing"[/URL] here on Basenotes!

Blog Entries

Twenty eight dollars for Habit Rouge is a steal. I would suggest you buy as many bottles as you can. Ultimately, until the extrait comes out, I would highly recomend Habit Rouge Beau Cavalier which is EDP and has oud . It is fantastic. I have a new bottle and turned right around and ordered another. Not easily found but, worth the effort at about $109 a bottle.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rickbr View Post
    Eau de Toilette. The vintage EDT on me has a talcy dirt citrus opening that I don't like at all...
    Try vintage Habit Rouge Eau de Cologne and/or Habit Rouge Light.

$28? Goodness me, at that price I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. Here in the UK Habit Rouge is rather expensive. I paid nearly £60 ($87) for both the EdT and EdP 100ml bottles. I can't do without either of them. Ever.

I readily concede that Habit Rouge is just not for everyone. In fact its not for everywhere. I find that like a someone mentioned above, Habit Rouge demands a certain level of sophistication from the wearer to match its good breeding and impeccable taste.

When I'm back in Stamford, a medieval market town deep in the English countryside, staying with my parents it makes complete sense. When I'm fighting my way through a crowd on the London Underground it does not!

I've never tried the original but I love the sparkling fizzy citrus opening that quietens down to the smoothest creamiest leather. The EdP is very similar to my nose but the agarwood makes the whole experience deeper and richer.

Go for broke. Get 'em all.