Code of Conduct

Default Looking for a new scent...

Hello everyone! This is my first post here, and hopefully you guys can help me.

I'm trying to find a nice new scent for daily/semi-daily use. I tend to lean towards Burberry Brit and Givenchy Pi type scents... I'm not very fluent with the jargon of the fragrance world, but I like how smooth those scents are... Mellow, I suppose, and pleasant. I also have a bottle of Creed Royal English Leather which I also quite like, but there's still a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that it's too mature a scent for me.

Just to give a bit of background on myself, I'm a 20 year old male college student. I like floral scents, vanilla scents, and the more mellower fragrances. I also like moss and patchouli notes, but again, I don't want anything too "mature". I've contemplated navigating the murky waters of women's fragrances, but the synthetics don't do anything for me... My sister bought a bottle of Fragonard, but it was a little too feminine for my tastes. Along those same lines, I don't like anything too abrasive. Fragrances like M7 and Phat Farm's Atman are a touch too pungeant for my tastes. I suspect Sandalwood is a scent which puts me off.

I suppose what I'm looking for is something along the lines of Pi or Royal English Leather, but with a bit more edge. And, preferably, something which the girls in my classes might like. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Tage; 19th December 2007 at 11:32 PM.

Default Re: Looking for a new scent...

I'm finding myself in a similar situation as you, albeit I'm a few years older than you.

The way I conduct my search is to sample in stores (and I mean taking a pencil, the free strips of sample paper, spritz some stuff on, and write down on the strip the name of the fragrance - repeat as needed with other scents) and buy mini's from eBay, but I've seen a lot of helpful members here decanting stuff for a fair price.

The people in the store might be annoyed when you spritz 10 different bottles on paper but don't buy anything but that's their problem, really.

I really want to make sure I like something before I invest 20 EUR on a bottle online.

if you like Pi, I dare you to try Egoiste (not the platinum, the original one) and you'll discover how sandalwood can be round and mellow together with the joy of smelling vanilla burbon and rosewood. Women love it also usually.
    I can also see you might like the new DSquared He Wood: give it a try
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 20th December 2007 at 08:41 AM.

Smooth, mellow, pleasant, clean, and a bit edgy (peppery and incensey in the dry down). Check out Prada Amber pour Homme. It is a bit feminine in the top notes, though.

Another incensey sweet option is Hypnose Homme. Very very smooth and round.

212 Men

How about Eau des Merveilles by Hermes?

Off-Scenter

I suggest trying Devin (Aramis, and my college staple when I was young and dinosaurs ruled the earth), New York (Nicolai), L'Ombre dans l'Eau (Diptyque), and maybe one of the good iris scents, like Hermes Hiris.

And listen to Stereotomy - test, test, test!

Lolita Lempicka au Masculin
    Burberry, Touch
    Serge Lutens, Chergui
    Editions de Parfums Malle, Musc Ravageur
    Shiseido, Feminitè du Bois
    Maître Parfumeur et Gantier, Santal Noble (despite your aversion to sandalwood, worth testing for its sheer complexity.)

For patchouli, Les Nereides Patchouli Antique is an outstanding blend of earthy patchouli and warm vanilla.
    Last edited by Sloan; 26th December 2007 at 11:58 PM.