Code of Conduct

Default Chanel Pour Monsieur dilemma...

After reading many comments here about Chanel's Pour Monsieur being such a "classy" men's scent, I asked Santa to wrap some for me.

I have since learned that the scent I received, which is the Concentree EDT, is not the same as the highly regarded Ch. PM I read about here --- thus, my dilemma:

Is there a way for me to acquire the version of Ch. PM everyone here has raved about?

Is there a better (than the Concentree) Pour Monsieur "sister" scent from another house that measures up??

Or, am I wasting my time and should just keep the PM Concentree Santa dropped down my chimney?

Thanks.

Default Re: Chanel Pour Monsieur dilemma...

I've used both the regular Chanel PM and PMC, and I liked them both. I liked PMC better, though, and have since sent my bottles of PM to new homes.

I think PMC is a fine fragrance unto itself and I think you'll do quite well with it.
    Where once there was no scents to it all, now the world opens before me!

Pour Monsieur Concentree (which is the one that is widely available) is excellent, and a
    worthy purchase on it's own. I think of it and the original PM as truly different fragrances, both
    of which deserve a place in a well-stocked wardrobe.

I got my original Pour Monsieur at the Detroit airpoirt duty free shop,
    but my local Perfume Gallery in San Jose / Santa Clara carries it as well.
    (408) 248-4451

Another place that carries it is Jacqueline Perfumery in San Francisco. I think his stock
    is likely to be fresher than Perfume Gallery's.
    (415) 981-0858

To reiterate: both of these are worth having.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 27th December 2007 at 12:01 AM.

Import:
    http://www.escentual.com/cgi-bin/Esc...Catalog/100044

the us cost in dollars is a bit more than twice the cost in pounds

Definitely keep the PMC. Excellent, classy,long lasting stuff.
    I think the original is amazing as well and they are both worth having. One drawback to the original is it's longevity. I haven't really come across anyone nor do I recall reading here that the original lasts on anyone's skin. It's a beautiful classic but short lived. The Concentree, on the other hand lasts nicely for most.
    I have found both in two different Sephora stores not too far from me. Otherwise, the original and the PMC are available on the net or directly from the Chanel boutiques.

I own both, and I find the Concentree much more satisfying. I bought the Concentree first, and remember thinking I'd found liquid gold. I then tracked down the CPM, thinking if the new juice smells this good, the original must be transcendent. This was not quite the case. Chanel Pour Monsieur smells great when I apply it, but it's surely a fleeting beauty. The Concentree just seems to have more depth and complexity, not to mention significantly superior longevity. I like the CPM well enough in spring/summer, but find the Concentree works well year-round. IMO, you're better off learning to like the Concentree you've got than tracking down the harder-to-find and less rewarding CPM.

BTW, I have a recent formulation of the CPM. A true vintage formulation might smell like God's urine for all I know.
    I get so overwhelmed ... by olfactory hues. ~ Phish

Keep the Concentree, it is even better than the new version of the original. Does that make any sense?

Last edited by pluran; 10th July 2010 at 05:32 AM.

I have never tried the Concentree version but Pour Monsieur (1955) is safely in my top ten all-time fragrances.

Edwards lists the original in the Mossy Woods (chypre) - Classical family. I can't speak for anyone else, but I get excellent (all day plus) longevity from it!

Osmoz lists it as an Aromatic Citrus while showing the Concentree as a Spicy Oriental.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 27th December 2007 at 01:28 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

If you can get some vintage Chanel PH it is quite nice; it's like Monsieur de Givenchy with extra duration, and silage with civet.

I'm not a fan of the concentree, but my wife likes it.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ...Pour Monsieur Concentree is a completely different fragrance, a much sweeter woody oriental...
    Sweet is definitely what I'd like to avoid. I'm looking for sharp/pure more than sweet.

Too bad the 1955 juice is unattainable/un-copied.

I may try the Tiffany before deciding. Thanks for all the good input.

Quote Originally Posted by asleep View Post
    Sweet is definitely what I'd like to avoid. I'm looking for sharp/pure more than sweet.

If a 'sharp' citrus is what you want... if you're looking for something with a bit of a nasty edge, look no further than Cartier's Declaration...

I know this didnt suit the thread topic, but I thought I would chime in.. as usual

a.

It's not very sweet. Nothing at all like a gourmand fragrance.
    But it is sweeter than the original version.

Wow, a lot of different opinions floating around. For me, Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree smells almost identical to Tiffany For Men.

Go figure...

Both created by Jacques Polge, so it's not too surprising.
    Tiffany for Men is harder to find, but Scentemental prefers it,
    and I trust his nose quite a bit.
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 27th December 2007 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy View Post
    Both created by Jacques Polge, so it's not too surprising.
    Tiffany for Men is harder to find, but Scentemental prefers it,
    and I trust his nose quite a bit.
    Tiffany for Men is available at Tiffany boutiques & from their website: www.tiffany.com $50 for 1.7 oz. EdT.
    A deal, if there ever was one!

PMC is a great fragrance, I agree with the other posters that I find it superior to the original. I think you've scored yourself a great present, and should keep it. It has a richer, perhaps sweeter, feel than the original, but is by no means "sweet" in the way that a lot of gourmands are, just a creamy smooth spicy citrus. Incredible longevity (>12hrs) on me.

BTW what do you think? Have you even tried it yet?

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

I own the 1955 CPM, and it hurts me that it doesn't last as long as I want to smell it. That makes it bothersome to wear, no matter how good it is while I'm wearing it. I don't want to knock the original, but I've got a lot of admiration for CPMC, and I would pick it to own if I had to pick one of the two. Many excellent posts already on this thread about these two, but I fall into the camp that sticks with CPMC, loves it and its duration, finds it sweet, powdery, and nutmeg-y, and finds it a completely different smell from the '55. I'd say you've got plenty of pleasure waiting for you if you stick with the gift you've got and dance with the one that brung you.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

As many people here already said, PMC is excellent stuff itsef and also the regular PM is good as well and both worth owning them since they're two completely different animals.
    Said that, if you are looking for a sharp/pure juice also the original Pour Monsieur is not your cup of tea being far from a sharp/pure citrus and closer to a mat mossy aromatic citrus.
    Last edited by Magnifiscent; 27th December 2007 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent View Post
    ...Said that, if you are looking for a sharp/pure juice ...
    I'm not conveying my thoughts well with the words sharp & pure.

For me, "sweet" implies a softening of the impact, a rounding of the the scent.

I'm looking for pure class, decided confidence. Refined, masculine elegance.

Think Cary Grant or the Anthony Hopkins character in Meet Joe Black. Age: 40s & 50s--- Oxxford suits, Edward Greene blucher, Cartier strap watch, etc. More Lexus/Mercedes than BMW/Ferrari. Comments made Chanel's PM sound spot on.

Sweet becomes "cloying" real quick for me (~L'Homme Sage.) My other concern is too much powder, which brings "feminine" into the mix for me (~Habit Rouge.)

Hope that clears things a bit. Thanks for all the input.

Antaeus by Chanel
    Geurlain Vetiver

both are considered very classy

If you're wanting classy but wild, try the 80s boom of Santos de Cartier Concentree.

I don't know what else to tell you other than to give Pour Monsieur Concentree
    a try. Perhaps you might find a drier, more biting fragrance like Santos Concentree
    a good fit. The original Chanel Pour Monsieur has an element of sweet as well,
    since it is citrusy. But its impact is not softened. I'd call one of the numbers
    I gave earlier and get it. I think it's a low-risk blind buy.

Other scents that say "pure class" to me are New York, by Parfums de Nicolai;
    Creed's Bois du Portugal, which smells similar; Patou Pour Homme, which is
    very difficult to obtain since it's discontinuation; Stardust for Men, which is harder to
    find than the Patou; and Antaeus, to a lesser degree, and finally the wonderful
    Acqua di Parma Colonia, which is unisex, so I don't know if this will fit your wants.

There is a sweet element to Creed's Private Collection Tabarome (what we call "Vintage Tabarome")
    or else I'd recommend that.
    Best wishes,
    Tim
    Last edited by trumpet_guy; 27th December 2007 at 08:36 PM.

To me Pour Monsieur is one of the best scents ever and Concentree - one of the worst
    Two totally different scents
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Both Chanel PM and Tiffany for Men are Hall of Famers to me. First Ballot.
    PMC is Don Mattingly. Great, but just not quite HoF material.

Now I have to see if PMC and TfM are as alike on me as noted above.
    Last edited by Bricktop; 28th December 2007 at 01:41 AM.

Okay, I blew my olfactory-factory out at Neimans tonight.

The Chanel Pour Homme Concentree is great...but I revisited after about an hour and picked up the sweet. I'm going to order the Euro version---thx TG for the links.

Tried Tiffany for Men...very nice...a bit powdery in the drydown.

Dior Homme---nice, but settled into a sweet finish.

Annick Goutal -- Mandragore....definately on the re-visit list, D'Hadrien too

Clive Christian----unique scents, but I'm a little put off by the "world's most expensive" moniker.

L'Eau de l'Artisan---try again with fresh nose

Acqua di Parma Colonia/Intensa?---must try again, my smeller was toast by the time I tried it.

Guerlain Heritage----I'm not familiar with whatever it is I'm smelling, but it was very intriguing and had a come-hither drydown.

Creed Royal Water......as soon as I sniffed, I thought it would compliment my Silver Mountain Water. We layered the two, and everyone really liked "first impression" of the pairing.

The SA at Neimans was very patient/helpful/knowledgeable---running around, shoving coffee beans in my face the whole time. He suggested I try Mark Birley, as well.

I've done a search of the forums and can't find a post that has updated info on how to obtain Pour Monsieur (not the concentree) in the US. I tried the Chanel Boutique and they said they don't carry it. Perfumed court doesn't seem to have decants. Any suggestions?

Beauty Encounter (www.beautyencounter.com) still seems to have both versions. I bought the non-Concentree version from BE a few months ago.
    Last edited by Delmar; 2nd September 2008 at 07:30 PM.

Strange, here in Austria the PM is everywhere, in every single mainstream perfume shop. Now if you're looking for the Concentree, that can be tricky. One shop owner told me she was informed by Chanel that it was discontinued! That is clearly not the case. But maybe they just meant that distribution in the EU had been discontinued. Anyway, I really enjoy PM but find its longevity rather mediocre.
    For swap/sale: Dior Leather Oud, Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Think Cary Grant or the Anthony Hopkins character in Meet Joe Black. Age: 40s & 50s--- Oxxford suits, Edward Greene blucher, Cartier strap watch, etc. More Lexus/Mercedes than BMW/Ferrari. Comments made Chanel's PM sound spot on.

Sweet becomes "cloying" real quick for me (~L'Homme Sage.) My other concern is too much powder, which brings "feminine" into the mix for me (~Habit Rouge.)

Hope that clears things a bit. Thanks for all the input.
    Keep the concentree versjon. It`s definetly the best. More long lasting than the original. But if you realy want a classy, luxury elegant scent, try "Antaeus".. a bit strong in the top notes, but dries down to a combination of pure luxury and elegance..The true essence of Chanel.
    One of the most manly fragrances on the market. Survives all the trends.. Timeless!

Chanel told me that it is no longer available in the US. So you will either need to buy old stock from someone that still has it on the shelves, from a duty free shop in an airport, or buy directly from Europe.

I just tried Beauty Encounter and they seem to have it, but I wasn't sure if the sales person was sure that they were talking about the EDT, not concentree. We'll see.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by nycmd View Post
    I just tried Beauty Encounter and they seem to have it, but I wasn't sure if the sales person was sure that they were talking about the EDT, not concentree. We'll see.
    Thanks!
    An easy way to tell is by the size of the bottle.

The Concentree is available in 2.5 oz (75ml) bottles while the Original is available in 1.7 oz (50ml) and 3.3 oz (100ml) bottles.

----------------------------------------------------------

It is available currently out of stock at escentual.com

There are quite a few 'original' Pour Monsieurs currently available on eBay. Several are from highly rated sellers.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 3rd September 2008 at 03:58 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost