Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1

    Default Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    that is the exact title of the cologne and i want to know who here had any experience with it...

    I just bought a 100Ml bottle from Barney's in Manhattan......and i had to.....just had to.....freaking had to....

    i dont know how to describe it in terms of notes(and i know many of you basenote experts will accuse it of being synthetic or even childish)......but it is basically Sexy Cotton Candy+Citrus+Musk........i dont have to have it on to know that tommorow at work i will have everyone's nose on me......i couldnt recommend it for anyone over 30 or anyone who takes themselves entirely too seriously......it is a playful almost teen scent with a touch of adult masculinity and sensuality that only a Frederic Malle scent could capture...


    I also bought 'Scent Intense' EDP by Costume National........very interesting scent that is understated(honestly everything is understated next to OUTRAGEOUS!) however easy and simple way to explain it is.....Sexy Amber......just plain woody smell at its sensual beastly best......this one is already a winner.


    P.S I settled it.....the most underrated and maybe the best Creed is Erolfa.....Bar None.
    --------------------------------------
    so i guess no one else even heard of OUTRAGEOUS!, right?
    Last edited by acceptfacts; 27th December 2007 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

    My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

  2. #2
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,574

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    so i guess no one else even heard of OUTRAGEOUS!, right?
    I haven't smelled Outrageous! yet - however many Basenoters were under-impressed when they smelled it (I don't live near a Barneys). We discussed Outrageous! on the mens board about a month ago, here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199137

    You can click the SEARCH button at the top and type in the name of the fragrance and all of the old threads will appear acceptfacts.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I haven't smelled Outrageous! yet - however many Basenoters were under-impressed when they smelled it (I don't live near a Barneys). We discussed Outrageous! on the mens board about a month ago, here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=199137

    You can click the SEARCH button at the top and type in the name of the fragrance and all of the old threads will appear acceptfacts.
    Hey Mike, they have it at Barneys Co-Op in SoBe. I tried it and liked it. It should be less expensive though.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 27th December 2007 at 04:01 PM.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    I'm 42, and I get the most intense, natural lime note, ton of neroli, mint, and hot tub cedar, oh, and I almost forgot, freshest white rose note is breath taking, you can smell the dew on it's petals. I'm sorry, I don't get the synthetic notes everyone is talking about. Just bought my second bottle. the sillage on this is also phenomenal!! I'm also glad that hardly anyone else GETS this frag.....I'll be one of the few wearing it. and getting a ton of compliments. I also bought Jubilation XXV for men last week....AMAZING!!!
    Last edited by musclegod007; 28th December 2007 at 03:16 AM.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by musclegod007 View Post
    I'm 42, and I get the most intense, natural lime note, ton of neroli, mint, and hot tub cedar, oh, and I almost forgot, freshest white rose note is breath taking, you can smell the dew on it's petals. I'm sorry, I don't get the synthetic notes everyone is talking about. Just bought my second bottle. the sillage on this is also phenomenal!! I'm also glad that hardly anyone else GETS this frag.....I'll be one of the few wearing it. and getting a ton of compliments. I also bought Jubilation XXV for men last week....AMAZING!!!


    i got to respect your taste buddy.....and you are correct.....silliage is great and i havent met one person yet who thought that i had "too much of it" on......very playful yet sexy scent.....i smell bubble gum/musc with some sublime citrus.

    how does jubilation XXV smell?
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

    My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

  6. #6

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    I like OUTRAGEOUS a lot. Its a lively, fun feeling citrus with a fresh synthetic cleansing feel. Reminds me of a combination of CdG Soda and CdG Dry Clean. The synthetic feel doesn't bother me like it did so many who responded to the previous post on this scent. If I remember the post, SuperMarky couldn't get past the similarity to Woolite!? But, as I've used it over the past months, I really enjoy its freshness. Woolite chose a good fragrance then - I find Outrageous refreshing. It also makes a very nice room fragrance for wherever you need a dose of fresh ozonic wooliteish air renewal.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,574

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Hey Mike, they have it at Barneys Co-Op in SoBe. I tried it and liked it. It should be less expensive though.
    Where is the Barneys Co-Op Ruggles?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 20th March 2008 at 01:20 AM.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    here
    Posts
    2,622

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Where is the Barneys Co-Op Kevin?
    CO-OP MIAMI BEACH
    832 Collins Avenue
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    Monday - Thursday 11:00 - 9:00
    Friday and Saturday 11:00 - 10:00
    Sunday 12:00 - 7:00
    TEL: 305.421.2010
    FAX: 305.421.2006
    info-coopmiamibeach@barneys.com

  9. #9

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    This stuff is just vile. One of the few times I had to wash a frag off. Vile orange juice. Malle s/b ashamed to put this out.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

    Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait


    My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

    http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

  10. #10
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,574

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by NEoTY26 View Post
    CO-OP MIAMI BEACH
    832 Collins Avenue
    Miami Beach, FL 33139
    Monday - Thursday 11:00 - 9:00
    Friday and Saturday 11:00 - 10:00
    Sunday 12:00 - 7:00
    TEL: 305.421.2010
    FAX: 305.421.2006
    info-coopmiamibeach@barneys.com
    Well...I'll be darned. I have a Barney's in my backyard and I don't know about it? WTF!

  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,574

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    So, I finally got my butt over to Barneys Co-Op today, to smell Outrageous!

    - Apple note (Demeter-ish in stye), check.
    - Clean / dry clean note, check.
    - Some citrus note...akin to the smell of lemon flavored tonic water, check.

    I was disappointed.

    With no disrespect to those who love this scent, but c'mon guys - this is FREDERIC MALLE. This was done by one of my favorite perfumers SOPHIA GROSJMAN! I am TYPING THESE WORDS IN CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE THESE TWO NAMES ABOVE SHOULD BE DAZZLING US WITH THEIR FRAGRANCE NOT JUST CREATING SOMETHING OKAY.

    (sigh)

    The apple note does not blend nicely with the clean note. It sticks out like a sore thumb. I love apple notes, but not when they are blended like this. The clean note is incredibly synthetic. I enjoy synthetic scents - hell, I love and own Odeur 71 by Comme des Garcons and that's a hell of a lot more synthetic. But O71 manages to be truly spacey and weird and...subversive. Outrageous! is just synthetic and derivative.

    I got the visual image of Ms. Grosjman being stopped halfway into the development of the scent by the 'Barney's team' - as if she didn't quite finish creating the scent. We love it the way it is, I imagine they said! WTF? This is perhaps the worst scent she has ever created. I'm shocked.

    Oh yes and the above mentioned 'clean' note lasts freakin forever! Lasted right through my hot shower this evening. Maybe it's imprinted itself onto my chromosomes.

  12. #12
    Off-Scenter
    Guest

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    My reaction wasn't too much different:
    "So the question for me, regarding Outrageous, was "How bad could it possibly be?"

    The answer: "That bad."

    Thin, harsh, and synthetic from the get-go, I'd guess this was a $12 mass market scent were I to sniff it blind. It's clean and fruity, but with a bothersome chemical mustiness I always associate with the cheapest of synthetics. That must be the "clean laundry" note. Detergent, if you ask me. The development, such as it is, involves citrus and a touch of apple pie over an anemic cedar underpinning. There is nothing innovative here, and nothing very "sexy" either, unless of course citrus air fresheners turn you on.

    I rather liked French Lover, despite all the hits it's taken here, but Outrageous really is, well...an outrage. Utter garbage marketed hysterically as a niche fragrance. Please tell me this is not the future of the Frederic Malle line."

  13. #13

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    With no disrespect to those who love this scent, but c'mon guys - this is FREDERIC MALLE. This was done by one of my favorite perfumers SOPHIA GROSJMAN! I am TYPING THESE WORDS IN CAPITAL LETTERS BECAUSE THESE TWO NAMES ABOVE SHOULD BE DAZZLING US WITH THEIR FRAGRANCE NOT JUST CREATING SOMETHING OKAY.

    (sigh)

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    .. I'd guess this was a $12 mass market scent were I to sniff it blind.
    I wholeheartedly concur. I actually tried to like it. I too, was left rather disappointedly underwhelmed.
    Last edited by Quixotiq; 28th January 2008 at 03:47 AM.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    I tried it earlier today and wasn't impressed.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    ...Please tell me this is not the future of the Frederic Malle line."
    As far as I know, Outrageous is found nowhere in the Euro zone. I do not know how much it costs, but the packaging indicates that it has nothing to do with the Editions line. I am therefore not so sure if listing it in the directory as an Editions... item is correct. The Editions F. Malle Website does not have it included either.
    Last edited by narcus; 28th January 2008 at 10:20 AM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    26,574

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    One more thing (and then I'll shut up about the scent):

    When I was shopping in the Barney's Co-Op store, I noticed that besides the normal artwork/decor in the store, were large letters spelling out different words in a cut-and-paste motif (you know how each letter is a different font style). Near one part of the store it spelled out: COURAGEOUS, across the store it spelled out RIGHTEOUS and then yet somewhere else it read OUTRAGEOUS.

    Perhaps the name of the fragrance had little to do with Ms. Grosjman / Mr. Malle and more to do with the Barney's marketing team.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Frederic Malle's OUTRAGEOUS!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    One more thing (and then I'll shut up about the scent):

    When I was shopping in the Barney's Co-Op store, I noticed that besides the normal artwork/decor in the store, were large letters spelling out different words in a cut-and-paste motif (you know how each letter is a different font style). Near one part of the store it spelled out: COURAGEOUS, across the store it spelled out RIGHTEOUS and then yet somewhere else it read OUTRAGEOUS.

    Perhaps the name of the fragrance had little to do with Ms. Grosjman / Mr. Malle and more to do with the Barney's marketing team.
    You've hit the nail on the head, Mike. Since Barneys has FM exclusively in the US, they created a exclusive scent for the Co-Op. They do sell it in regular Barneys, too.
    BTW, the words on the wall at the Co-Op have actually gotten Barneys' creative director Simon Doonan in a bit of a tiff. It seems that they may have been copied from the artist Jack Pierson, who has been doing his word sculptures, that they based their store decorations on, for the last 10 years. Doonan wrote about this in his New York Observer column last year.
    See an original Jack Pierson below.

    I actually like Outrageous!, but I hate the name and I think that it's way overpriced.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 28th January 2008 at 05:09 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Frederic Malle's Iris Poudre
    By alba in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11th March 2008, 06:47 AM
  2. mega-compilation of mini-reviews
    By Leifer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 17th January 2008, 08:01 AM
  3. Moving in with Frédéric Malle's Noir Epices...
    By Manderley in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 4th June 2006, 08:57 PM
  4. Frederic Malle Question
    By Tovah in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 20th March 2006, 06:29 PM
  5. More a bout F. Malle's Carnal Flower.
    By cedriceccentric in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24th October 2005, 02:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •