Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Jubilation XXV: Any thought or reviews???

Anyone have any reviews or comments on this one. i am really interested to hear what people have experienced with this. Does it live up to the hype. Thanks.

Default Re: Amouage Jubilation XXV: Any thought or reviews???

well, show me the hype of Jubilation XXV first ))
    Vetiver The Great!!!

Anyone. Someone must have tried it?

Basenotes Institution

One Basenoter mentioned it on this old thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=202771

I also know that ajmc ordered a decant of it and Killer_Vavoom has smelled it - maybe they'll see this thread and comment.

I am looking forward to smelling this - Luca Turin gave it a good thumbs up and I am starting to enjoy most of Betrand Dachaufour's (the nose behind Jubilation) creations.

Off-Scenter

I've got a sample on the way - look for comments in the next week or so.

The gorgeous Lee :-) from Perfume Posse loves this one.

http://www.perfumeposse.com/
    Last edited by Prince Barry; 28th December 2007 at 07:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cairomerta View Post
    Anyone have any reviews or comments on this one. i am really interested to hear what people have experienced with this. Does it live up to the hype. Thanks.
    You make me look for that scent and right now I`m waiting for the samples of both Amouages...
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I've tried it. Major disappointment.Nothing interesting to smell and zero lasting power. I don't get this House. They tout using great noses and ingredients and most of their stuff is crap including this one.

Hey Moon_Fish, where did you order samples? Did you have to order them from the Amouage website?

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman View Post
    Hey Moon_Fish, where did you order samples? Did you have to order them from the Amouage website?
    I`m sorry, but Amouage website don`t send their products to Russia for some time.
    So now their scents are twice more expensive in Moscow... about 500 bucks per bottle

My Saint-Petersburg friend kindly offered me those samples from her bottle
    Vetiver The Great!!!

I am just wondering which one is better...the one for men or women? They both sound fantastic. I hear the Perfume Shoppe in Vancouver carries Amouage, so I will write to her about samples.

Off-Scenter

Well, my sample of Jubilation XXV (i.e. men's) arrived today, and I'm giving it a brief spin. I've spent far too little time with it to write a review, but here are my initial impressions:

First off, Jubilation obviously comes from the same nose that gave us Timbuktu and Dzongkha, and it seems to be another stage in Duchaufour's exploration of incense. Jubilation starts out as a spicy incense blend, including frankinsence and myrrh along with cinnamon, coriander seed, cloves and maybe even a slight touch of oudh. At first it reminds me of Dzongkha, but it starts out sweeter and less smoky. Floral elements are clearly present, but they are closely blended and hence difficult to distinguish and identify.

Jubilation grows smokier as it develops, and soon reveals a very dry leather note. At this stage Jubilation aligns itself somewhat with Durbano's Black Tourmaline, though it's much less smoky and obviously more floral. It dries down to a base of leather and incense with a healthy dose of iris root that again brings Dzongkha to mind. If you enjoy and of the other three scents I mention I expect you will like this.
    I need more time to decide whether Jubilation is distinct and original enough to purchase at Amouage prices if one already owns Dzongkha or another iris, incense and leather blend.

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    Well, my sample of Jubilation XXV (i.e. men's) arrived today, and I'm giving it a brief spin. I've spent far too little time with it to write a review, but here are my initial impressions:

First off, Jubilation obviously comes from the same nose that gave us Timbuktu and Dzongkha, and it seems to be another stage in Duchaufour's exploration of incense. Jubilation starts out as a spicy incense blend, including frankinsence and myrrh along with cinnamon, coriander seed, cloves and maybe even a slight touch of oudh. At first it reminds me of Dzongkha, but it starts out sweeter and less smoky. Floral elements are clearly present, but they are closely blended and hence difficult to distinguish and identify.

Jubilation grows smokier as it develops, and soon reveals a very dry leather note. At this stage Jubilation aligns itself somewhat with Durbano's Black Tourmaline, though it's much less smoky and obviously more floral. It dries down to a base of leather and incense with a healthy dose of iris root that again brings Dzongkha to mind. If you enjoy and of the other three scents I mention I expect you will like this.
    I need more time to decide whether Jubilation is distinct and original enough to purchase at Amouage prices if one already owns Dzongkha or another iris, incense and leather blend.
    I don't think you can compare Jubilation with Black Tourmaline. Black Tormaline being "10" and Jubilation is a "2" at best.

I am very much underwhelmed by Jubilation XXV. It doesn't smell nearly as complex as you would think after looking at the notes. Don't get me wrong, its a pleasant, high quality scent. But i don't think its worth Amouage prices.

I am so glad i only ordered a decant and not a full bottle blind.

I will stick with Mark Buxton's mb03 when it comes to the recently released incense fragrances. I love that one.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by thebeck View Post
    I don't think you can compare Jubilation with Black Tourmaline. Black Tormaline being "10" and Jubilation is a "2" at best.
    I'm not comparing quality, but charater. Two very different things.

I have not come to any conclusion regarding Jubilation's quality. With more wear, I belive the relationship to Black Tourmaline is much more tenuous than that with Dzongkha, which I would consider a very close sibling. The question on my mind right now is whether Jubilation is superior enough, or even just distinnct enough from Dzongkha (or Avignon, or fill in the blank,) to warrant paying twice the price.

A few hours later, and a few more thoughts:
    I've dabbed on a bit of Dzongkha now, and am convinced that at least for the first fifteen minutes or so they are reasonably distinct, though they do coverge some later on. The family resemblance is closer to my memory of Dzongkha than to the fragrance itself, but it is there.

Jubilation remains softer, sweeter, and more floral then Dzongkha (or Avignon, etc.), and lacks the older scent's slightly bitter and astringent edge. In this respect I find Dzongkha to be the more original and daring scent, while Jubilation is more conventionally "pretty" and approachable. Jubilation's drydown, with its iris, its soft, powdery musk, smooth woods, and lingering frankincense, is very nice, and for me represents the fragrance's best stage. Sweet and lovely as it is, it still does not outclass the incense-laden drydowns of Avignon, Black Tourmaline, L'Homme Sage, or even Amouage's own Dia.

With extended wear I've noticed that Jubilation has very little sillage or projection, particularly for a scent that advertizes itslef as an EdP. It is, for better or for worse, a skin scent. I'm not sure how many Basenoters will be willing to shell out $230 for 50 ml of a subtle skin scent. So while I'm not yet ready to weigh in altogether, I can say that Jubilation does not knock my socks off. I'm now tempted to run a side-by-side comparison with Avignon as well.
    An aside: I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that while I may be indifferent to Jubilation, Luca Turin praises it to the skies. He also seems to adore Amouage Gold, which I detest (the cat peed in grandma's closet) and dismisses Reflection, which I rather enjoy. I for one am not intimidated by such authorities, and am happy to form my own opinions.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 2nd January 2008 at 07:45 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Vibert View Post
    The question on my mind right now is whether Jubilation is superior enough, or even just distinnct enough from Dzongkha (or Avignon, or fill in the blank,) to warrant paying twice the price...
    Andrew - do you remember months ago when I first tried Dzonghka and I made those comments about it and the brine/pickled/salty water references that you mentioned you 'got' a little also? Are you getting this same vibe from Jubilation? This same particular tanginess (or whatever it is) is also in Timbuktu and Bois d'Ombrie...atleast to my nose and it makes the aforementioned scents slightly annoying to my nose.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd January 2008 at 01:17 AM.

Off-Scenter

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Andrew - do you remember months ago when I first tried Dzonghka and I made those comments about it and the brine/pickled/salty water references that you mentioned you 'got' a little also? Are you getting this same vibe from Jubilation? This same particular tanginess (or whatever it is) is also in Timbuktu and Bois d'Ombrie...atleast to my nose and it makes the aforementioned scents slightly annoying to my nose.
    No. Absolutely absent in Jubilation. This one is more sweet, smooth, and cuddly. Indeed, this is why Jubilation strikes me as less edgy and more conventionally approachable than either Dzongkha or Timbuktu.
    --------------------------------------
    Further thoughts:

Today I am wearing Jubilation XXV side-by-side with Duchaufour's earlier Avignon. Jubilation is actually a closer relative of Avignon than of Dzongkha. If Dzongkha is the driest, smokiest, and most astringent of the trio, Jubilation remains the softest, sweetest, and spiciest. Its cinnamon, clove, and creamy iris notes are largely absent from Avignon, but the frankincense-leather-wood accords in both are similar. Jubilation seems to me to have more depth and warmth than Avignon, perhaps due to the interaction of its cinnamon and incense, or to the conspicuous ambergris in its base. Next to Jubilation, Avignon seems austere and even somehow a bit "distant." Compared to Duchaufour's Dzongkha, Avignon and Timbuktu, Jubilation contains more traditional oriental notes, and these render it more "familiar," welcoming, and easier to wear. It is less an exploration of virgin territory than the others, and more of consolidation of empire.

Critical reactions to Jubilation lean toward extreme praise or derision. This strikes me as odd, since the scent itself is not inherently controversial in the manner of, say Kouros or A*Men. Anyone expecting a revolutionary breakthrough from Amouage will be sorely disappointed. On the other hand, novelty is no guarantee of quality. Think about Heritage and Secretions Magnifiques for a moment and I think you'll see the point. In the end the greatest point of legitimate controversy over Jubilation may well be the price, but then that's been the case with every Amouage release. The true test is whether customers are willing to pay Amouage's prices for this kind of scent.
    Next time: Jubilation vs. Amouage's earlier scents.
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 2nd January 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

tried 25 for men the other day. after about 30 minutes it smells almost exactly the same as the Aedes fragrance created by l'Artisan. i have both samples and they smell so similar on my skin. that said, i don't like either.
    Last edited by union1411; 15th January 2009 at 07:00 PM.

I've tried to warm up to this a few times, but its lack of longevity kills it for me. I reallly like it for the first half hour, but after that...poof!....gone.

On the other hand, I love Lyric for Men. Warm, sensuous rose that lasts forever on me.

Regards,
    Steve

The first time I wore it, I liked it. The second time I applied more and found it to be totally annoying.

It's the oud note I think. For although I love oud (pure) I'm beginning to think it doesn't work to well in alcohol based perfumes. Too overpowering that way.

Or -and that's another possibility- the oud they used isn't a very high quality one. Dunno.
    No guru, not method, no teacher
    Just you and I and nature

Quote Originally Posted by sjas1962 View Post
    I've tried to warm up to this a few times, but its lack of longevity kills it for me. I reallly like it for the first half hour, but after that...poof!....gone.

On the other hand, I love Lyric for Men. Warm, sensuous rose that lasts forever on me.

Regards,
    Steve
    Just my words for these two scents.

I just realized the likely reason this smells like Aedes fragrance on me: it's created by the same person (Bertrand Duchaufour).

And both also smell almost identical to Dzongkha on dry down, which, again was created by Bertrand Duchaufour.

This was my biggest dissapointment from last year.It´s just an ok fragrance to me. OK, but boring.
    An average designer release from last year was more exciting than this. I bought this one from ebay and I´m glad I did not pay retail price for it. I think Amouage is not the house for me. Dia and Ciel bored me too .Ok at best. Haven´t sampled the other ones, but I can´t imagine paying the prices they ask for it. Maybe Lyric is the one that does it for me, but it´s not high on my want list for this year anyway.
    Last edited by eric; 15th January 2009 at 08:54 PM. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

tried this a few weeks ago....and it's soooooo boring. I can't even get myself to write anything more about it.....just uninspiring. I don't really get the 'hype' behind this at all.

Yep. too many old tricks, too much Iso E Super, it's OK, but not at the price. Mine will probably soon be on ebay.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I love it one of my favorite scents in my collection especially a steal for the 2 bottles I got at $50 for 1 oz

I think it is high quality ingredients and it lasts on me for at least 14-16 hours, to me it is very complex scent

I think this nose has given us many better scents in the past. I do not like this one, I find it rather simple and the longevity is really bad (considering the notes, and the price). Some may like the oud in here, but I think it only breaks the balance between amber, incense and fruits.

I was expecting this one to be good, but I guess I will have to throw Amouage into the box of the unredeemables (with Hugo, Ed Hardy and Nautica. By Kilian you better watch out )
    Last edited by irish; 16th January 2009 at 01:45 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

One of my favorite scents and it has gotten me complemented when wearing it which has only happened with two other scents Chrome and Opium it is a keeper for me.

I thought the XXV was worth the $50 for the 30ml, but definitely not worth the retail price... not even close. I like that it has a thickness - a creaminess, if you will - which you don't often find in incense fragrances. To be honest I don't really like that many incense fragrances and I rarely feel like wearing the ones I have and like, but within the genre it's pretty good. I still prefer Timbuktu and Eau de Baux.

Lyric Men on the other hand, just blew me away with how good it is.... I never thought rose could be so masculine and smooth. It's really the best Amouage I've tried (still waiting to try Homage....anyone ;-P ?)

It seems all this talk about Lyric & Homage is going to sting me again. First I got stung when I bought Jubilation from Amazon after all the attention that it got here....When it came, I didnt like it....I feel the fruits in there don't gel well with the insense and it gives out this 'chaotic' chord thats not too agreeable to my nose....

Lyric sounds different......It has got Rose....ROSE
    Anything with a good 'Rose' will intrigue me....
    I have no clue where to go to get a bit of 'Lyric' or 'Homage'....

Is TPC the only choice?

I've been testing this lately from a large sample. I love it and most likely will buy a bottle.

One thing that really surprised me was I could still detect it after wearing it one day and showering the next morning. This is extremely rare for me, even with longevity powerhouses like JHL, Santal Noble, or Visit. By "rare" I don't mean those scents don't last on me; it's just that they don't survive my next-morning shower. -so to the longevity naysayers, everyone's mileage varies.

I'm also not a big fan of incense frags but Jubilation has enough additional facets to overcome that aversion.
    Last edited by MadScientist; 16th January 2009 at 06:18 AM.

Jubilation=Lyric=Unoriginal

There are much, much better incense and rose scents out there to try at a fraction of the price.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Since when is originality a prerequisite to enjoying a fragrance? If someone can suggest a rose fragrance as dark and smooth as Lyric Men I'd love to know what it is so I can try it.

BTW, samples are available of all Amouage fragrances (except Homage) on beautyencounter.

I was all set to jump on the $50 travel bottles, but when I finally did sniff JXXV, I didn't think it different enough from other Duchaufour scents that I already own. At the time I tried it, though, I was undergoing a massive incense binge test, which culminated in the Incense Rose and Incense Extreme from Tauer.

If I can remember correctly, it was the L'artisan for Aedes scent (which someone has mentioned already) that reminded me most of the Amouage.

When Lyric is put out in those travel bottles, will someone please shine the basenotes klieg light in the sky? That one I will buy in multiples.