Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default My Newbie Collection So Far, What's Next?

This is a lengthy post, I'm just in a talkative mood to complete strangers online since I don't really have too many people to geek out on colognes with and not feel awkward. So, I'm finally graduating from the school of Axe body spray (used Orion, Vice, and Tsunami). Then one day it clicked in my head that I should stop being a cheap bastard and get some real cologne. I'm in my mid 20's, so I felt I should dress and smell the part. So in the past few weeks, I've been doing a lot of research and lurking of various reviews from stores and basenotes.net. I was willing to spend quite a bit as long as I bought scents that I made good use of.

The last time I wore cologne was when I was in high school when my uncle bought me my first bottle, Acqua Di Gio. It was either this or Issey Miyake L'Eau d Issey at the time of purchase due to wanting something "fresh" and being told by my uncle that Polo Sport's played out when I asked about it (people at school wore it at the time, teens loved it). I did wear AdG for a couple years until the spray nozzle broke. Now that I've gotten into colognes, it's funny that the two choices I had back then are the most popular now. So nowadays, I realize the value of having an uncle who's that much into men's fashion. Anyhoo, enough of my life story. Excuse me while I'm learning the lingo around here.

I wanted a well rounded collection that's good for multiple occassions. So I have the following:

Jean Paul Gultierre - Le Male (sillage is awesome on me and the smooth sweet scent calms me down)
    Lacoste - Pour Homme (sillage is meh, need to figure out better places to spray it, smells a bit odd to my nose, but I like it)
    Bvlgari - Aqva (I smelled it at the store, it stood out to me, I smell it on my wrist, it's freakin' amazing. Since I liked AdG, I figured this was the grown up version of it)

I bought Rykiel Pour Homme on a blind purchase from bigdiscount.com since it had positive reviews and I figured the yuzu top note would be interesting. I also got a mini travel bottle of John Varvatos for more formal ocassions. I'll be getting those next week. I tried A*Men from a neat travel bottle I bought. It has a burnt chocolate smell initially, then it the dry down is some kind of sweet, but curiously odd smell. I wasn't digging it much and I was very afraid of putting on too much due to the possible "love it or hate it" factor from other noses around me. I might give that tiny bottle a try again when I'm brave enough. It seems pretty hit or miss based on the reviews. After wearing cologne for the past couple weeks, I haven't gotten any responses and I don't think people noticed. This was with basic sprays to the neck, chest, and wrists before getting dressed after a shower.

Now, out of my purchases so far, the only remotely questionable one out of the colognes I already have is Lacoste Pour Homme. I was told by the salesman that it's a good scent for formal/evening use. I had asked if Burberry Touch was proper for the evening as well since a number of online stores stated that it was. The salesman said it's too fresh and light for the evening. I sniffed Rochas Man and I liked that one. It smelled like a bolder JPG. I also liked Burberry Brit and London. I'm still in search of that formal/evening scent. Any recommendations based on what I already have? I really like Issey Miyake Intense when I got a sample of it at Sephora (along with a bunch of other samples like Terre 'd Hermes, Givenchy Very Irresistible Fresh, etc).

Nice forum you guys got here. I'm learning a lot. Thanks in advance for your help.

Cliff Notes: I have this (see list). Recommend me an evening/formal scent that's suitable for someone in their mid 20's that works year round. Don't get compliments so far from wearing cologne in the past couple weeks (JPG almost everytime I go out and A*Men briskly once), so a compliment getter would be nice. I'd like to also impress girls along the way, who am I kidding here? LOL. Thank you.

Default Re: My Newbie Collection So Far, What's Next?

I have received multiple compliments from Burberry Brit....it is also one of my wife's favorite scents. If you want some real formal smells, you ought to test some Creed scents (Green Irish Tweed and Bois du Portugal are my two recommendations). They smell quite formal and I'm 28 and wear them fine.

Wink Re: My Newbie Collection So Far, What's Next?

I think Burberry London can work as an evening scent as well as casual, it's very versatile.
    And don't count on impressing girls, every girl has her own taste for fragrances, it's just impossible to please all or most of them

Basenotes Institution

I'd go with London by Burberry also. Nice quality scent (actually the only scent from Burberry that I like), affordable, accessible, great for fall/winter, not too casual or formal but can be worn in both situations, etc.

Another I recommend wholeheartedly is Gucci Pour Homme by Gucci (the original, not the II).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedHotPaprika View Post
    I think Burberry London can work as an evening scent as well as casual, it's very versatile.
    And don't count on impressing girls, every girl has her own taste for fragrances, it's just impossible to please all or most of them
    Yea, I think I'll just stick with smelling good in general. When I actually date someone regularly, I'll have her pick out a bottle. I'll take a second whiff of Brit and London next. I'm also strongly considering Burberry Touch as the possible evening scent as well due to the sweet notes (I really shouldn't have listened to the sales guy about the Lacoste and gotten that instead). I would consider Rochas Man, but the sweetness of it along with the other notes would make it seem as if I'm trying a bit too hard to attract attention, especially if I'm just going out to dinner or a casual night out. So would you guys say that's more of a party or clubbing/bar/lounge type of scent? Thanks for helping me narrow down my choices!
    Last edited by Hollandaze; 27th December 2007 at 06:49 PM.

Inaugural post *waves*

From my own personal experience, I'd say "worry" less about the "rules" -- particularly regarding the situational appropriateness of a fragrance. If you like it, and you're in the mood for it, and it strikes you as appropriate given your clothing, energy, destination, olfactory inclinations, company, etc., etc., etc. -- wear it. Just because some guy behind some fragrance counter thinks that one particular scent is suited for a particular situation doesn't necessarily mean that it will translate thusly on you.

If a fragrance works with your chemistry, then I'm of the opinion that you can do very little wrong with it -- at least situationally. Buy what smells good and wear what suits you. Getting caught up in the trends and buying things that suit other people and using them in the application that suits those other people separates you from your enjoyment of fragrance. And that's no fun. But then, this is coming from a girl who's perfectly happy to wear Black Oud to class, Fracas on the couch, and Skin Musk on an anniversary date -- so long as they suit me in the moment.

Besides, when you are wearing something that works with your chemistry and you know it and are, therefore, rocking it, the right girls will notice.

A lot of college guys I know wear Paris Hilton Just me. Try Issey Miyake

Blog Entries

Alright guys, last week I added B*Men to my stash when I wandered into a Marshalls nearby and got a 1.7oz bottle for $16. I've never smelled it, but I did put it on later that evening. The only thing I didn't like when I tried A*Men was the smell of the dry down because it was just a little too weird to me and I couldn't quite identify what the smell was. I was self conscious that it smelled funny on me, so I stopped using it. B*Men, however, the dry down was a bit spicy, but not overwhelmingly spicy or made me ask, "What in the world is that?"

I'll try my sample of Issey Miyake Intense the next time I go out in the evening.