Code of Conduct

Default In Praise of Jo Malone, and a list :)

Since I live out of the country, upon visiting the US this winter I have tried a lot of things I'd been excited about but did not have access to throughout the year... samples with which I could spend a great deal of time studying (Fred Malle's L'eau d'Hiver, Bigarade Concentree, Bois d'orage, Noir Epices (THANKS Mikeperez!!!), and that which I tried in department stores (Bond No. 9 Silver Factory (a VERY good one!!!), Tom Ford for Men, Narcisco Rodriguez for Men, and many many many others)... and nothing blew me away like Jo Malone's Pomegranate Noir... I've always loved her Amber & Lavender but Pom Noir was STUNNING. It is like gnarly prickly twigs and branches on a bed of burning incense, charring the skins of dark red fruits with a hint of tree sap, modern and in its (IMO) luxurious stark yet complex austerity. It was my one gift to myself this winter and I've been swooning ever since.

As some of you may know I'm going to NYC to try some new things (I'm a Serge Lutens and L'Artisan virgin) and I hope to be swept off my feet (which did not happen with the Malle fragrances nor the Bond (though very very good!)) But this Jo Malone offering is spectacular... strange, masculine, medicinal, burning, peppery/incensy, with a touch of sharp fruits most apparent at the opening. Unlike her other fragrances, this is detectable on my skin the next morning. I write this in hopes that others will give it a try and to share my experience with my fellow Basenoters looking for something new and out of the ordinary.

A side note, some unexpected surprises that did make me VERY happy were: Hermes Equipage (almost gourmand soft leather/suede with cinnamon??) and Bel Ami (deep rich balsamic), Annick Goutal Eau de Sud and Mandragore (both so light and beautiful!), Silver Factory (not so unexpected but quite a stunner and so dense... like a creamy incense), Paul Smith Story, Acqua di Parma original (it'd been a while and I still like this one best), and Creed's Virgin Island Water (FUN!!!)

Thanks for reading
    Nthny

(would love to hear other opinions of Pomegranate Noir and/or others I've listed here)
    Last edited by nthny; 27th December 2007 at 06:46 PM.

Default Re: In Praise of Jo Malone, and a list :)

Pomegranate Noir is wonderful. I bought a decant because a member who has great taste had it as a favorite for quite a while. No names, he likes spheres. Great sillage and longevity on a great smelling out of the ordinary scent. Try her grapefruit also, it's an eye opener! I want to try all the scents of this house now after trying these two.
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 27th December 2007 at 06:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fredricktoo View Post
    Pomegranate Noir is wonderful. I bought a decant because a member who has great taste had it as a favorite for quite a while. No names, he likes spheres. Great sillage and longevity on a great smelling out of the ordinary scent. Try her grapefruit also, it's an eye opener! I want to try all the scents of this house now after trying these two.
    Trust me, try Amber & Lavender! It's the one she composed for her husband... They often give out samples of this quite freely where it is sold.
    Last edited by nthny; 27th December 2007 at 06:50 PM.

I'm glad you are enjoying JM PN!
    If I had to name my fav top 3 houses Jo Malone would be right up there (along with Montale and Czech & Speake). I love many of JM's personal frags as well as their stuff for the home. My home currently reeks of their Orange & Cinnamon potpourri and I love it.
    If you like PN you might like WIld Fig & Cassis....another fruity/woody wonder!

Basenotes Institution

I love Jo Malone (own Nectarine & Honey; Blue Agava and Cacao & Nutmeg and Ginger), but when I wore Pomegranate Noir I could not get past the medicinal note that smells like Vicks VapoRub on me. Pretty sad, considering its such an enchanting complex scent. Enjoy! I am interested in trying her Orange Blossom (which the Ladies rave about here on BN), the new Jasmine & Mint and the Grapefuit.

In New York, huh? Go to the Le Labo store. I highly recommend: Rose 31, Patchouli 24 and Iris 39.

Yes I love spheres As a matter of fact I just received one for Christmas. A beautiful brushed steel sphere that looks great on an end table.....ok back to Jo Malone.

I am guilty of loving Pomegranate Noir. I think I bought it blind a couple of years ago after reading a post from musclegod007 about him finding it and being smitten from the get go. I love frankincense and spices, so this was a safe blind buy I thought; I hit a home run. I have just finished my second 1 oz. bottle, and pulled a new 1 oz bottle out of my stash last Monday. I receive tons of compliments and I enjoy it immensely myself. What else do you want in a frag huh? So, it works for me and that is all that matters. That is what it is about, finding a sweet spot. Chances are it is not the same spot that everyone else appreciates, and that is what makes the world a wonderful place.

I bought Amber and Lavender and 154 a month ago at Saks in Birmingham, AL. They are both long lasting, quality frags. In fact, I am wearing 154 today and it is going strong after 7 hours. I get so weary of listening to longevity issues that people rant about alot...spray the damn cologne on people; this ain't no rehearsal...enjoy what you buy. 6 sprays and it is perfect; no one died or got hurt today in my world because I sprayed a frag more than 2 times. Jo Malone is a nice line and glad you have found the love I found in PM nthny.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Yes I love spheres As a matter of fact I just received one for Christmas. A beautiful brushed steel sphere that looks great on an end table.....ok back to Jo Malone...

...I get so weary of listening to longevity issues that people rant about alot...spray the damn cologne on people; this ain't no rehearsal...enjoy what you buy. 6 sprays and it is perfect; no one died or got hurt today in my world because I sprayed a frag more than 2 times.
    LOL - you tell 'em Barry! I didn't know you liked spheres. Neat.

heres a cut and paste from the NY Times, Chandler Burr on

"Jo Malone’s perfume genius, by contrast, is light. Not light as in the antonym of heavy, but light as in photon radiation. Think about Grapefruit cologne or French Lime Blossom — that radiant glass-roof sensation. This is what makes Pomegranate Noir such a departure for Malone. This is the scent of the darkness that inhabits a Rubens, a warm, rich, purple blackness; Pomegranate Noir is like a box of truffles with the lid on, sweet bits of darkness, waiting. Because of the way Malone composes her scents, each built to accommodate others, no single scent will ever reach the level of artistry of a single scent by Kurkdjian, whose robust, complex compositions are meant to stand alone. By design, Pomegranate Noir merits only two stars — but two lovely stars; this scent is like spraying a layer of twilight on your body."

Yes Mike, I showed Barry a natural rock sphere seller on ebay and I think he tried to put a curse on me but was too busy getting out his credit card.

right here:

http://stores.ebay.com/The-Sphere-Ma...Q3amesstQQtZkm
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 27th December 2007 at 08:19 PM.

Jo Malone 154 Cologne is a first clase fragrance. I should wear it more often.
    I second the recommendation of Amber Lavender as well. Vetyver is respectable as well.
    I was suspicious of the line because it is marketed as a very upscale niche line at Saks, Neiman's,
    Nordstrom, etc., and I know that profit is their first concern, but I do find the fragrances pleasant
    and well blended. I think they are a bit overpriced, but I applaud a line that is based on quality rather
    than being simply based on a celebrity's name and face.

I'm ga-ga for Pomegranate Noir (thanks, JockWithScents!) and also think that Amber & Lavender is easily one of the best made men's frags out there today. Black Vetyver Café is a superb gourmand (one of the few I like), and Nutmeg & Ginger is a top-rate choice for us spice lovers. All of Malone's frags, IMHO, are exceedingly well blended and I've yet to meet one whose sillage and longevity are anything but outstanding.
    Last edited by tvlampboy; 27th December 2007 at 08:50 PM.

Peggy: "Right now, we have to get to the mental institution. Something terrible has happened."
    Latrelle: "What?"
    Peggy: "Brother Boy has tried to kill himself. He jumped out of his bedroom window."
    Latrelle: "Isn't he only on the second floor?"
    Peggy: "Yes, but he hit his head on a lawn gnome."
    Fr. Sordid Lives: The Series
    "Live, live, live! Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death."
    Auntie Mame
    [/B]

I gotta give a plug for their ancillary products.
    Under my tree this year were Shampoo & Conditioner (Lime, Basil, Mandarin) and shower gel (154). All excellent. The shower gel is so concentrated it will take me sometime to work thru the 8.5 ounces.
    The lotions and bath oils are amazing too.
    Hubby got the JM Bath Oil assortment. Lucky him!
    I believe Pom Noir comes in a variety of forms including candles.

Basenotes Institution

Yes Mike, I showed Barry a natural rock sphere seller on ebay and I think he tried to put a curse on me but was too busy getting out his credit card...
    [/SIZE]
    Fredericktoo: the fragrance and sphere enabler.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 27th December 2007 at 09:32 PM.

Yep and I need another enabler like I need a broken arm.
    Hi my name is Barry and I am addicted to Spheres, Orbs, and Frags.

Agree wholeheartedly!

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Amber & Lavender is one of my faves! I used to have a really tough time deciding what to wear on formal occasions/with suits. Not anymore. I can't praise it highly enough. I'll be on the lookout for Pomegranate Noir.

Thanks to JWS, I am also a Jo Malone devotee. His recommendation of Pomegranante Noir inspired a trip to Saks to test the entire line, which is a feat in of itself given my distaste for shopping malls (most SAs mistake me for an off-duty bouncer or mall maintenance.) Pomegranate Noir had me at first test strip. I immediately requested a spray on the wrist and began enjoying its myriad of changes involving raspberry, plum, incense, patchouli and woods. The plum/patchouli accord provided a hint of booziness and the woody notes in the base sealed the deal for me.

I agree with Trumpet Guy in that 154 is one I should wear more often. It's one of the most overlooked fragrances in my wardrobe. 154 feels like a timeless classic with its blend of woods and spices. A relaxing feel good scent that I enjoy more in warmer weather. It also works very well when layered with Pomegranate Noir and Wild Fig and Cassis.

I also enjoy Orange Blossom and Tuberose on my lady friends. My mom wears French Lime Blossom and often selects it over her signature scent, Chanel No. 5.
    Last edited by Sloan; 28th December 2007 at 01:57 AM.