Code of Conduct

Default Chanel #5 cologne spray

I remember liking the smell of Chanel #5 on my mother when I was young, but didn't care for it when I sampled the edp recently. There was a note which didn't wear well on my skin.

I was with my mother over the holidays and came across her #5 bottle. I sprayed some on (of course), and it was nice, as I remember it smelling on her. I looked at the formulation and, surprise, surprise, it was cologne spray. It lacked the off-putting note of the edp.

So I like the lowly cologne version of #5 best. Who would have thought? It sort of makes up for the fact the only formulation of Mitsouko I can wear is the extrait. Anyone else like the #5 cologne better?

Default Re: Chanel #5 cologne spray

I love the parfum version and can't stand the EDP or the EDT. hmmm.... now I have to try the cologne version. Flathorn, is it a vintage version that you tried?
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I love only the vintage parfum in this one.

One exception: I once came across a bottle of No 5 in vintage cologne. One of those big 8 oz bottles from the 60's or so. That was also nice. Not as nice as the parfum, but nice. I think they lost some key ingredients over the years, and had to make substitutions.
    Last edited by brillig; 28th December 2007 at 01:20 AM.

Flathorn, I seem to be in your camp...I prefer the edt version of no. 5 to the edp which I find "stuffy" but I love the parfum version best of all...have you tried it? Very sensual and warm.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

I have a vintage bottle of Chanel No. 5 cologne and I prefer it to my new bottles of EDT.

I love the EDT and the perfume concentration (both at the same time is best) but dislike the EDP. I've read that the EDP is a relatively new concentration and thus a reinterpretation of the original. I guess that's why it stands out from the rest.

I have edt, edp & parfum and I love all 3 the same. For me it's L'Heure bleue that I prefer the lighter edt concentrations.

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie Day View Post
    I love the EDT and the perfume concentration (both at the same time is best) but dislike the EDP. I've read that the EDP is a relatively new concentration and thus a reinterpretation of the original. I guess that's why it stands out from the rest.
    YES! Exactly! I like to apply the parfum and then mist the edt over that. really nice.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache